Notices

Sober Independence Weekenders 03 - 06 July 2020

Old 07-03-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing that Robbie.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya lunar, and Robbie. I’ve just checked out the link for Washington in UK. Which then took me to the secret garden, the video makes you want to walk round it. Very beautiful.

Does anyone ever do that? Looking at something on the net, get distracted by another thing then an hour later forget what you went on the net for.

Bim, Smart lights are crazy really. I pass the light switch and could easily turn it on but instead ask Alexa to turn it on and off. Gadgets. Kaily, you’ve got the right idea. Switching the light switch.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hiya lunar, and Robbie. I’ve just checked out the link for Washington in UK. Which then took me to the secret garden, the video makes you want to walk round it. Very beautiful.

Does anyone ever do that? Looking at something on the net, get distracted by another thing then an hour later forget what you went on the net for.

Bim, Smart lights are crazy really. I pass the light switch and could easily turn it on but instead ask Alexa to turn it on and off. Gadgets. Kaily, you’ve got the right idea. Switching the light switch.
BiB - yup! I've lost count of the amount of times I've gone to check something on wikipedia and have ended up spending an hour or two following links and completely forgetting to check what I had gone on to wikipedia to check in the first place.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I get distracted on line when doing one thi……

I wonder is there are green fish on Pluto? I'd better look it up....
Old 07-03-2020, 09:12 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
We had crumbed prawns and scallops with the fish n chips.
No hush puppies lol, I only know them as shoes too

Had brekkie at a place where there was a cocktail list on the wall, then the waier brought round a drinks menu and put it on our table the last time I ate there we were having cocktails with breakfast so that was a really uncomfortable moment, especially when the waiter asked what was our favourite cocktail.... But I escaped unscathed and am now drinking cranberry juice while my partner drinks beer. It’s a bit early in sobriety for me to be in such challenging situations, but so far so good. I really don’t want to drink .
Old 07-03-2020, 11:08 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Willow, you’ll kick yourself in the butt on Monday if you drink. You’re doing great! Check out alcohol free cocktail drinks. There’s some tasty, healthy too, ones on line.

Happy 4th July

Cake anyone?

Old 07-03-2020, 11:26 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sober, Happy .. Lifting weights happy 4th July guys be safe stay well and more importantly sober awesome !

In other news it's my ten day countdown to 7 years sober .. once I was 7 years old by Lukas Graham is my first song for that day and I really have a strong connection with ducks geese wildlife in general

Hello to all my old young friends see you all soon love to all x
Old 07-04-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Been a long night, nightmares seem to be getting worse. Had to get up for a cup of tea at 2.30 am as I was too unsettled to go back to sleep.

Mental health unfairly discharged me due to me not being able to participate in the group therapy sessions, much as I tried. It just triggered my CPSTD and left me a shaky mess with flashbacks to very bad times. I was promised I would get one to one therapy but that clearly isn't going to happen now. Poor practice, I been fighting for help for more years than I can remember and never get it unless suicidal.

Off to the supermarket now. Should be quiet, everyone else will be in the pub or getting their haircut.

Wonder when libraries will open, my books are months overdue!
Old 07-04-2020, 02:01 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Morning all,

Been a long night, nightmares seem to be getting worse. Had to get up for a cup of tea at 2.30 am as I was too unsettled to go back to sleep.

Mental health unfairly discharged me due to me not being able to participate in the group therapy sessions, much as I tried. It just triggered my CPSTD and left me a shaky mess with flashbacks to very bad times. I was promised I would get one to one therapy but that clearly isn't going to happen now. Poor practice, I been fighting for help for more years than I can remember and never get it unless suicidal.

Off to the supermarket now. Should be quiet, everyone else will be in the pub or getting their haircut.

Wonder when libraries will open, my books are months overdue!
They are allowed to open from today but many councils are holding back on re-opening them straight away. My local libraries aren't opening until Monday 13 July and when they do it sounds like they aren't going to be very welcoming places. From the local council website:
A phased, part time approach will be introduced at [the three libraries] in the first instance. This will include a 'Click and Collect' service, where you make your own selection from a library of your choice from the online catalogue and contact the library to agree a collection date and time.

Opening times will be Monday to Friday, from 10am to 3pm, for the three libraries.

All of our books will be quarantined for 72hrs and cleaned before they are loaned to another customer, you can be satisfied that your library is a safe place to borrow books from.

You will see some other changes too, as we are following government guidance. There will be no daily newspapers available going forward, soft furnishings and fabric furniture have been removed. Staff will meet and greet you and guide you around the new layout, entry and exit points. You will be encouraged to sanitise your hands on entry and exit. We will encourage you to sign up online and staff will demonstrate how to do this so that you have even more choice and you can access the digital service at a time that suits you.
Given that the local library was often a place where older people sat and read the daily newspapers on a morning it's not exactly going to be any use to them - not only no newspapers but also nowhere for them to sit!
Old 07-04-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thanks Robbie, there is nothing on my council website except closed until further notice.

I had to chuckle in the supermarket, a man stopped at the hand sanitiser station and proceeded to cover himself in it. All the way down both legs (wearing shorts) under his mask, neck, arms, it was like a strip wash in the shop doorway.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:48 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Lol that’s funny about the body sanitiser Kaily
But no good you’re having nightmares and can’t get mental health support, that’s awful. Pretty much anyone can access mental health support in Australia. It’s a shame it’s not like that in other countries.

We didn’t stay for cocktails Mags, but went to two pubs, one at lunchtime and another in the afternoon. Neither had cranberry juice, or diet coke. The only juice was orange juice which I can’t drink. Apparently since reopening after Covid they’ not yet restocked or back to full supplies. So I had straight soda water at both places, exciting stuff. I would have rather just relaxed on our deck at the room but my partner wanted to explore.
But I didn’t drink and it’s Saturday night and I’m laying in bed, phew Heading home tomorrow and away from temptation, double phew!
Old 07-04-2020, 03:06 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thanks Willow and well done you. Maybe next time have some lime in your soda? I can't drink pure orange either, it gives me migraines.

There is no place like home.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:08 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi Kaily. That's funny reading about the guy with the hand sanitiser!

About the problems you're having accessing help for your mental health... do you not have an IAPT service in your part of London?

https://www.england.nhs.uk/mental-health/adults/iapt/

They are supposed to be tied in to primary healthcare, working alongside GPs and providing largely one to one counselling. I picked a London postcode at random (NW10) and the local services that covers that area have quite a short waiting list. There's a search by postcode checker on the NHS website which tells you how to access them as well as how long you may have to wait. The latter is the drawback where I live as the waiting times are upwards of 3 months for routine referrals.

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/ot...onSearch/10008

My local IAPT service also has an emergency telephone number where if things are very urgent you can be seen or at least have someone phone you back within 2 hours and usually much less than that. I used the IAPT service a few years ago and did a form of CBT in one to one counselling for several months which I found very useful for helping me deal with severe anxiety and depression. If I recall I had an appointment once a fortnight and had about 12 of them in total. I self-referred though it can also be done via your GP. There should be a self-referral form link if you search by postcode.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:22 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks Robbie, I went to IAPT years ago then things got worse and I ended up in mental health after having a crisis. It was a year and a half waiting list for treatment, I then had a brief intervention with a psychologist then back on another waiting list for group therapy which was all wrong for me. Then waited another 6 months for one to one that never materialised and got discharge letter in the post a couple of days ago. Not even a courtesy call.

I will just keep on walking in nature to keep myself sane, sober and safe.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:58 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Thanks Robbie, I went to IAPT years ago then things got worse and I ended up in mental health after having a crisis. It was a year and a half waiting list for treatment, I then had a brief intervention with a psychologist then back on another waiting list for group therapy which was all wrong for me. Then waited another 6 months for one to one that never materialised and got discharge letter in the post a couple of days ago. Not even a courtesy call.

I will just keep on walking in nature to keep myself sane, sober and safe.
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences accessing help. I suppose it really does come down to where you live in England. I found IAPT to be helpful but I think it helped that the counsellor was excellent and was a very good listener. I think I had to wait about a couple of months for an appointment after the initial telephone assessment.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Willow -

Thanks for the cake mags.

Soberwolf, congrats on seven years.

Kaily, so sorry you are having trouble with sleeping and nightmares. Nature walks with Alfie would make pretty good therapeutic sessions I would think. The hand sanitizer guy sounds like he is the one in need of mental counseling.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Happy BDay, 'Murica.

When I was a kid, I had a tiny transistor radio. That was a Personal Music Device in the sixties. I remember listening to this through earphones during some super boring high school class and thinking how tricksy I was and how amazing he was.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Afternoon Weekenders!

Kaily, I’m sorry to hear of your bad experience with the healthcare over there. I hope a better treatment opportunity somehow presents itself if the need for better assistance continues. Meanwhile, please keep going on those walks.

I seem to be getting a bit of momentum in the right direction. Went to the glass recycling depot and tossed, amongst others, the empty wine bottles that I accumulated.

This morning I came across a yellow weaver bird that is also making a new start. They are somehow compelled to tear down their old nests even if the new one is not being built on exactly the same spot:

Old 07-04-2020, 10:18 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Magsie

Captain, the yellow weaver bird is lovely, thanks for sharing the pics. I wonder why they break their nest up, maybe don’t want any other birds to use it.

Kaily, I’m sorry you had nightmares. I hope you can get help with the CPSTD. It seems so wrong that you couldn’t have one to one treatment. I thought our health system pulled out the stops.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and Captain. I am alright just now apart from the nightmares so that's the main thing.

Amazing pictures Captain, how did you get them? Not with a phone I'm guessing. I would love to take photos like that.

All I got today was a horse in a mask.

And a dirty dog.