Notices

Sober Independence Weekenders 03 - 06 July 2020

Old 07-04-2020, 11:03 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, great pics, what’s that all about? On the horses head? Could she still eat? Edit: I just checked, and they can be fly masks or allergy masks. Who knew. Alfie’s having a whale of a time.
I hope the nightmares settle down. x
Old 07-04-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Yes it was a fly mask.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:36 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending positive vibes your way Kaily.

Good to see you Soberwolf. You were an inspiration when I first joined SR. Congratulations on (nearly) 7 years!

Those Weaver birds nesting habits are fascinating.

Happy Independence Day! SInce it falls in early Summer here is Donna the Queen of Summer

https://youtu.be/cPlNrP9B2Zs

Old 07-04-2020, 12:36 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lots of people in my neighborhood were setting off firecrackers last night. I was glad Jack was in heaven where he won't be afraid of the noise.

Having a quiet day here in Ohio. It's very hot so not walking Billie much.

I am so glad I don't drink anymore. My life is so much simpler sober. And I don't create any extra problems.

All this talk of fish and chips has made me hungry for them. It's been years since I had that and now I want it.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders

Great pics Captain and Kaily!

We see a lot of horses wearing masks here (aka fly veils). Flies are a big problem in Aus, and they transmit a few eye and skin diseases in horses. I used to have a horse as a teenager but haven’t had one in years. I still miss my boy Silver ❤️

It’s Sunday morning and I’ve managed to stay sober for the weekend despite the abundance of alcohol and prolific drinking around me. Thanks for being here to support me everyone

Old 07-04-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

support to you, Kaily
Old 07-04-2020, 10:18 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Willow! Yay, you’ve done brilliant. Will you ever get another horse? They’re beautiful creatures and they smell wonderful. (That’s just my opinion)

least, have you a fish and chip shop near you, you can get some? We’ve been getting them delivered. It was a nice treat.

The virus seems to have higher numbers in this area, North Lincolnshire.A couple of weeks ago there was a picture of the codiv ward empty.
From tomorrow the shielded can go out and meet people from another house. I don’t think I’m in a rush to go mingling just yet. There wasn’t much social distancing out and about yesterday, I saw on tv.

Very windy here today. The sun’s trying to get out though.

Nice to wake up with no hangovers nowadays.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders. well done on getting through the weekend Willow.

I really like my local chippie or fish and chip shop but it is getting more pricey every year so it stopped being a weekly thing a few years back, more like once a month now.

I notice they have banned drinking alcohol in the parks in my borough. That will be a shame for some I know but a relief for a much larger number of people put off by people treating them as music festivals with sound systems and generators being dragged in and set up. It's tough here for young people, most of whom live in small crowded flats (apartments) without a garden so I can see both sides.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:16 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Well done Willow. Wonderful to wake up calm and refreshed on a Sunday morning, isn’t it?

I still have a very slight headache, but it’s normal for me during the first days of detox and nothing compared to a full blown hangover.

least, I think takeaway fish and chips is difficult to beat, but the other day I made my own from scratch using an air fryer with surprisingly satisfying results.

Kaily, I took the photos of the weaver birds with a 600mm lens. I’m not quite sure, but think it equates more or less to 20x Zoom on a digital camera. I didn’t have time to use a tripod, which is always a good idea when using long lenses. Even with all the built in stabilizers you still get a bit of camera shake if you go free-hand.

I wonder how the reopening of pubs in UK went last night. I saw a reporter doing the rounds during the early evening, but it was still reasonably quiet then. He promised to do another round at “chuck out” time, but I didn’t stay up for that.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:40 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, Sao and Captain
The AV started yabbering away at me when I got home, but I shut it up with some icecream

Mags I would love another horse but don’t have the time these days to give one the attention it deserves. Maybe one day ❤️

I was a bit horrified about the lack of regard for safety since the easing of restrictions here. So many people don’t take the risks seriously. No social distancing in pubs, public transport or at the markets. I’m staying right away from crowds after seeing the craziness this weekend. I won’t be venturing far from home, which suits me fine
Old 07-05-2020, 12:46 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I was a horse owner too Willow, I had several different ones over the years. I do romanticise the idea of having another but in reality I don't have the energy, money or motivation but do miss that whole horsey world.

Sao I don't know what the answer is for young people's entertainment. I think this lockdown has been particularly hard on them. Just as they get of an age to acquire independence the world is locked up. I would of hated it as a teen. Drinking in open places has been banned here for sometime, which is fair enough but not actually adhered by the minority anyway.

Least it seems we are all craving fish and chips now. So far I have resisted temptation despite have several chippy's in my area!

Mags sorry to hear the numbers are up in Lincolnshire. The guidance is just that, guidance. So you gotta do what feels right for you.

Captain I know I have said it before but I would love to learn photography. I want a camera that isn't too heavy though. How near were you to the birds?

So many people have been buying lockdown puppies that there is now a shortage in the UK. People are paying thousands of pounds over the odds from unscrupulous puppy farmers. Give it a few months and the rescues will be full of unwanted dogs. Sad that people think a dog can be a temporary play thing.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:57 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Would you believe the AV came knocking... and it’s not even 11am? Good heavens! Told him to pick a finger and hope he won’t be back soon.

Kaily, you certainly seem to have a much more than just mundane life story to tell, not that I’m prodding at all . I wasn’t too far from that bird and didn’t use the full zoom. 15 meters or so (about 49.2 feet, but Sao, please could you check this?) If you don’t like carrying heavier stuff but would still like to get into something more than just snapping pics, you could always consider a “bridge” camera, which as the name suggests falls sort of in between a point and shoot digital and a bulkier DSLR, although it is still a digital camera.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:15 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I would totally believe that Captain. The AV comes knocking at my door quite early some days. It has been known to knock at 8am on occasion. Good idea to send it packing!

Kaily that’s sad for the puppies. There are already too many that end up in shelters

I’m off to bed on a sober Sunday night. Goodnight all
Old 07-05-2020, 03:16 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Magsie

When I was first sober the AV was there constantly. Nagging in my mind, yakketyyak. It does pass though, I’m happy to say.

A friend had a small racing stables and I used to help muck out in a morning before work, dash home shower and change of clothes then work. I used to get to ride out on them too on a Sunday. I was a novice so I got the quiet horse. She was a little black shiny horse and gorgeous. Good memories.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:17 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
When I was first sober the AV was there constantly. Nagging in my mind, yakketyyak.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Lunar, I grew up in Florida in the sixties when conch was probably still legal in FL. Not sure. I've actually never had them, nor boiled peanuts - which is more a North Florida thing.

However, another FL favorite? Dolphin fish, called Mahi or Mahi-Mahi elsewhere; I think that is Hawaiian.

Mmmm speaking of, there is a little restaurant in Bimini that makes a breakfast sandwich with grilled fish, egg and cheese on thick bread that's to die for.

I think I need to make biscuits and sausage for breakfast today!
Yes! Had that!
I loved it there and went diving in a conch hole nearby to harvest what became my first conch fritters. Delicious but slightly sandy at times. First effort in the dark on a deserted little island with bonfire lighting, so all things considered went well. Fueled me for spinnaker flying the next morning.

I am in and had a great 4th watching a boat parade on the lake after fireworks. Obliging rich neighbor on the next point put on what must have been a staged 5000 dollar display of amazing fireworks I got to see for free from the screened porch.

Beverage of choice? Decaf coffee. I’m 8 days from an uninterrupted year of sobriety and so grateful to be back from Relapseville for good this time.

Does anyone recall that REM song Rockville? Don’t want to go back and “waste another year” . . .
Old 07-05-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hawk, I'm really happy for you. I know it's been a struggle, not at all helped by a drinking partner. Good for you that you can get away at the lake.

Fireworks smoke is still hanging over the river this morning. I don't suppose anyone could see the moon eclipse through the sparkly pyrotechnics? Oh wait, there are very few Americans in this thread. Anyone see the eclipse? I guess it was a partial or Penumbral eclipse. First time I've ever typed that word.

Sober Sunday morning. I am soooooo grateful for that every week. This is weekend #330. I'll take it.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

The Weaver birds are one of my favorites at the zoo. The male makes the nest, then he "advertises" it by hanging upside down on it and doing a lovely little fluttery dance. If a female comes, she inspects the nest. If she likes it she starts bringing leaves to "decorate" the interior i.e. plug up holes. If she doesn't like it, she won't move in and he tears it apart and starts over.

I swear I can hear them grumbling as they tear apart a rejected nest. To be fair, the nest is complicated and has a lot of important features. It takes some practice to build a good nest.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Great to see you Hawkeye, and what an entertaining post, thanks. I was (actually still am, coming to think of it) a big REM fan and know the song you mentioned quite well. Comes from their second album, Reckoning (as you would very well know, of course).

Love your sense of humor too, BIM.

Apologies, I am a bit too chatty today, but being early days it helps keep my mind from entertaining much more irresponsible things. I just hope the old-timers don’t reckon that the serial relapsers should start their own Weekender thread .
Old 07-05-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Captain! I wish there were more posts in this thread!

In my early sobriety there were old-timers and newly sober in this thread. We would often "roll" the thread before Saturday morning (so, more than 500 posts.) I miss that.

More posting, not less!! I'm usually the one with six posts per page. Keep up, people!

...and yeah, it's good to stay busy and connect. I'm super lonely right now with being in lockdown. I would say, "Talk to meeeeee," more often but it sounds a little whiny, right?