Notices

Another DUI

Old 06-03-2020, 02:08 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

"I threw everything away."

Unfortunately, I assume most have on this board which lead us here. I know I did and it did.

You can't change the past, just work on today. I know, easier said then done but that's all I got this early AM.

Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2020, 02:29 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I know it's difficult but try and look at the positives. You didn't kill or injure anyone. You are now in a great position to start recovery and stay sober. You will get another job but maybe it is time to focus on recovery and take care of yourself.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:33 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

The past is a closed book Hewson. Can't be changed.
Hard to accept but inevitable.

Face forward...embrace the future. There'll be good things there too, I'm sure

D
Old 06-03-2020, 03:48 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support....been on 24/7 aa zoom for last 2 hours which has helped as well
Old 06-03-2020, 04:05 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
TGO

Originally Posted by Hewson1974 View Post
I’m just down....don’t know how I’m going to find another job.
that is exactly how I was in 2016. I wasn’t working and am in sales which requires you to drive. So really worried.

this is why I say voluntarily go to rehab. Honestly it will prob be 2 years before you even will want to get a job you like.

3 dui in 7 years or whatever it was. Completely depends on how your local county is on these. Do some research on that and if you are going to hire an attorneys. Remember dui attorney’s are pro salesman. Interview them. Check their track record for 3 dui’s... all of this stuff is public record
Old 06-03-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Trying to stay sane....24/7 AA Zoom was helpful. Hopefully meeting lawyer later today to see about my case/future. Don’t have much money saved so trying to afford everything is gonna be rough.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not alone Hewson

D
Old 06-03-2020, 05:33 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Let us know how it goes today. Easy to sit here and say but people like me and maybe you always fear the worst and it turns out not so bad.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Called the law office...receptionist took my info. Lawyer was in meeting and will call me back this afternoon. Looking at their website I’m hoping this will count as only my 2nd offense in 5 years. My others were in 2/2014 and 9/2016.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I understand the racing mind and fear very well. Once you talk with the lawyer and have some idea what you are facing, you should feel better. Even if it's not good news, you'll have some answers. I want to stress that you will get through this. It sounds to me like you are taking the right steps so far. Have you considered alcohol treatment? I don't remember if you mentioned that already. I went to treatment voluntarily, but when I had my alcohol assessment with the county (part of the process here in WI) it became court-ordered. I was already 3 weeks into outpatient treatment by then. It could be that you will be court ordered to treatment. And they can help you find a program you can afford or there may be some financial help. At some point in the future, when the worst of this is over, if you find sobriety, you might look back and see this as a blessing. I know when I got my 3rd, and the moment I decided I was done drinking for good, I felt such a sense of relief. I was still at the police station being booked when I just KNEW I was going to quit for good. I'm not religious, but I swear, it was a force outside myself that spoke to me that night (and I really wasn't drunk, just over the limit). I look back on all of it now, and I'm grateful that I was arrested (sounds crazy, I know). I needed a kick in the butt to get me to make the changes in order to be free of alcohol. That was the kick it took, for me. I'd urge you to really use this opportunity. The rest of it - the money, the job - will work itself out in time. Focus on you and your recovery for now. One step at a time.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
TGO

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
TGO

That's certainly not the case where I live,(non US) and although I've heard it said before, I'll reserve my judgement when it comes to the US.....but hey - you're entitled to that opinion.

D
The US operates different than Australia on crimes. And Australia is likely much tougher than the US on these. With the US, it is all about $$ while in some other countries, it is all about punishment.

Like no pro athlete in the US goes to jail unless it is MAJOR crime. I get caught with drugs, I get arrested. A pro athlete gets caught with drugs and he may be suspended for 1 game here
Old 06-03-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
TGO

Originally Posted by Hewson1974 View Post
Trying to stay sane....24/7 AA Zoom was helpful. Hopefully meeting lawyer later today to see about my case/future. Don’t have much money saved so trying to afford everything is gonna be rough.
If you have the lawyer hook up, thats awesome.

As far as court crap, say you lost your job, are broke and tell them you are INDIGENT. They put that word in your case and you don't have to pay anything.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support all. Just got off phone with lawyer. Unfortunately KY has increased the amount of years between DUI to 10 years....so it will be my 3rd offense. 60 day minimum in jail. Not what I wanted to hear this morning.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

My sister had to go to jail for her DUI. I don't know all the circumstances, but she was able to do her time on weekends. I think it was her 2nd. Perhaps that is a possibility so you could have a job during the week.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I hope so....don’t know how I would handle having to do 60 straight...then again don’t know how I would handle doing weekends that long to make 60 days
Old 06-03-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I 'think' in some places, if you get to be a trustee, it counts as 2 for 1 on your days. I could be wrong though. But, I'd caution you to try not to 'future trip' too much. I was looking at 30-90days because of my high BAC and ended up with zero. I actually ended up getting a better deal for my 2nd DUI than I got for my 1st. A good lawyer goes a long way.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I was in same jail for 7 days last offense...two 3.5 days each. I survived but didn’t really do much other than sleep and read.
I’d almost like to get it over now....just lost my job so until the July 23 court day I’m in a sort of limbo
Old 06-03-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
TGO

Do they have habitual offender laws in KY??? Because that is what would hurt. Simple terms, you would be loking at closer to maximum on everything. Because I guarantee that 60 days is the minimum. Max is probably 1 year
Old 06-03-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Other than my alcohol related DUIs I’ve never been in trouble for anything else.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
TGO

I just read the Kentucky laws really quick. Man, that is honestly not bad at all. Alot better than I got for my 2nd DUI. So when I got mine in 2016, it would have been treated as my first since they only go back 10 years.

Jail ( you must have an aggravator for your 60 days). Or else it would be 30

Community Service ( you don't have a job so thats easy)

Alcohol clases which you want to go to anyway

License suspension but if you get the intoxalock on, that is really not suspended

That is it. Honestly, that is very light compared to other places.