Notices

FOMO feeling at Weekends? Weekenders 08 - 11 May 2020

Old 05-12-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

MLD, I hope your work and tax problems are resolved. I'm dealing with some unemployment compensation difficulties.

Here's my recent eagle story. I was standing out on our deck, and heard a "whooshing" sound above me. I looked up and saw something big but somewhat diffuse falling from the sky. In a split second, I saw one eagle go one way and one go the other. What I had seen was two eagles with their talons locked in a mating ritual free-fall.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Leigh, my boss cannot set my pay rate. She would definitely give me a raise if she could. I have a State job, and the pay ranges are set pretty strictly for each job description. I'm already pretty much at the top of the range for my job. And believe me, it's nowhere near what it should be. I knew this going in, but I also naively believed I would not have to do things outside the job description.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Wow Coldie............................................ ....
Old 05-12-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

MLD, any chance for a promotion? It certainly sounds as though you deserve one.

Some States have very nice pensions; I hope that is the case for you and that a really nice retirement awaits you.

ColdFusion, what a sight that must have been,
Old 05-12-2020, 03:36 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

I mentioned in another thread about one of my mother's carers being off work currently due to her sister maybe having Covid. Well she won't be turning in the immediate future due to herself being diagnosed with something (she said non-covid but wasn't willing to talk on the phone, only text and sounded quite upset) So now I have to look for another carer for the 2nd time in 7 months. I have kept the door open for her to return in the future but given the circumstances now, the timing is bad for all involved. She was only with us 7 months but felt like part of the family so today was a well....a crap day when I got the news
Old 05-12-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Oh no Reid, I am so sorry. For you and for this lovely woman. s

The good part is that carers are working. We don't stop because of something like this.....so I am sure you will find someone else for now that you like. Fingers crossed it is fast. s xxxx
Old 05-12-2020, 07:45 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Reid, I am sorry to hear about your mother’s carer. I hope that she, her mother, your mother and family will be okay. Hope that you find a fine new care person quickly.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you find a replacement carer reid
Not sure what you mean by switching forums, Sao?
D
Old 05-12-2020, 10:11 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

I hope you find someone nice for your Mum Reid. It must be very stressful for all concerned.

I am getting increasingly baffled by the UK guidelines for the virus. I feel that the majority of reasonably healthy people are being treated as lab rats, set free to see what happens. Others are being told they can't even meet a family member in a private garden but can meet them in a busy public park. Christmas Island comes to mind.

Just my thoughts...

I wrote more but lost my post.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:51 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning weekenders, hope everyone is staying alert.

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I am getting increasingly baffled by the UK guidelines for the virus. I feel that the majority of reasonably healthy people are being treated as lab rats, set free to see what happens. Others are being told they can't even meet a family member in a private garden but can meet them in a busy public park. Christmas Island comes to mind.
it's pretty confusing. the new rules say you can "... visit a public open space for the purposes of open-air recreation to promote their physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing", so basically you can do what you like so long as you stay 2m from people - the police have no chance of enforcing it unless you're making a serious public nuisance of yourself. I feel for people being made to go back to work without much assurance of it being safe to do so.

I may be being thick, but what's the Christmas Island reference about?

I've been feeling quite restless & jittery the last few days - I think probably because of the imminent loosening of lockdown - but I'm a bit calmer today in spite of waking up at 5am.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:01 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning WeekendersÂ

Reid, sorry about your mum’s carer. I hope you find another nice one.

Marty, your place of work sounds just like where I was too. Always more work pushed on us. It got very stressful.

Kaily, it is confusing, it really is. I like Dr. Hilary on itv, he is very sensible and calm. Any walks with Alfie today...who knows, you may meet a penguin or two.

Take care and please stay safe. xx
Old 05-13-2020, 12:03 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
but I'm a bit calmer today in spite of waking up at 5am.

Up late today then Andy?
Old 05-13-2020, 12:09 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
(

I may be being thick, but what's the Christmas Island reference about?

Just that back in the day unknowing servicemen were sent there for nuclear bomb experiments. I feel like sending people back to work in certain situations is similar as in lets see what happens with the virus when we do this that or the other. I don't know.

Sorry I'm waffling, just feel sad for people.

Lost my post again.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:14 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Any walks with Alfie today...

Yes I am going to walk and sit in the park, go to the garden centre, view and buy a house and play golf with a friend. But I will not sit in my private garden with a family member.

As it happens I don't have anyone to sit with anyway so ho hum.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:04 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Just that back in the day unknowing servicemen were sent there for nuclear bomb experiments. I feel like sending people back to work in certain situations is similar as in lets see what happens with the virus when we do this that or the other. I don't know.

Sorry I'm waffling, just feel sad for people.

Lost my post again.
thanks Kaily, I didn't know that.

I hope you feel better after your walk with Alfie. I don't have a private garden to not sit with a family member in - I haven't spoken to anyone I know face-to-face since the start of lockdown. I should be able to in the next few days though.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:30 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Yes, it is all rather confusing.

When our lockdown started on March 27th, there were 915 confirmed cases with an average daily increase of 138 cases/day over the preceding week. When the downgrade to Level 4 came on May 1st and some people were allowed back to work, that number had shot up to 5951. Less than two weeks later and we are at 11350 cases with an average increase of 540/day.

On top of that our lockdown has been particularly draconian. All sales of tobacco (including e-liquid) and alcohol remain strictly prohibited. So too the sale of any consumer goods that are considered non-essential. For example, you can buy tinned foods but no tin opener. Going outside to exercise was finally permitted from 1 May, but only within a 5km radius from home and only between 6am and 9am. Strangely, the downgrade to Level 4 also saw the introduction of an absolute curfew between 7pm and 5am.

Anyway, I am rambling and just letting off some steam
Old 05-13-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
On top of that our lockdown has been particularly draconian. All sales of tobacco (including e-liquid) and alcohol remain strictly prohibited. So too the sale of any consumer goods that are considered non-essential. For example, you can buy tinned foods but no tin opener.

I find that ridiculously nonsensical. If I was in active addiction and they did that... well I can't even imagine. So harsh.

And curfews, wow think I better stop complaining. Compared to your country Captain we have it easy here with regards to freedom.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:37 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello Weekender aficionados.

Quick check in but not too much to report.

Working from home and probably will be until september. Trying to get mini vman to do her school work has become more of a challenge.Regular zoom meetings at night time has become a habit. I had never realised how beneficial they actually are. Stay positive and grateful weekender friends.

Vinny.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

I don't see any other way than to ease the lockdowns, though.

Yes it's going to cause a spike, but there is no way to avoid that either. From what I can figure there will be at least a year of loosening and tightening of restrictions everywhere, depending on hospital capability. In the U.S. there are more and more people ignoring and or blatantly disregarding the recommendations and many local mayors and law enforcement leaders are refusing to enforce the governors' decrees. Some people are calling it anarchy, I just think people would rather take their chances with the virus than be homeless and hungry.

I guess those who can stay home and want to, will. Those who have to work, will. As it ever was.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think you are right, Bim. As much as I'd like to see closures and work stoppages continue until we know it's safer than it is now, that's just not possible. All we can do is start opening incrementally and then see what happens in various places, tightening and loosening controls location by location. It's going to be very confusing and frustrating for a good long time. Right where I live, there are very few confirmed cases, but we have JUST started testing around here a few days ago, and only for people with symptoms. So we really have no idea yet if there are cases here. People have been good about isolating and being careful right in my town, but now people are getting very restless and not understanding why we still have restrictions at all. Something has to give or our local economy will be decimated. It's a thorny problem, for sure.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>&nbsp;I am starting to hear about universities already throwing in the towel for fall semester. If that happens around here, it will affect pretty much every aspect of my life. I work at t a university that is already struggling financially, and everyone is getting to the end of their ropes with working and teaching online only. Students are suffering. It's bad. Continuing that into fall semester would have repercussions I don't even want to think about. And, my kid is supposed to go off to college in the fall. I'm not sure he will enroll in the fall at all if it's all online. And of course he won't be leaving home if classes are online. So I'm really hoping things are safer by fall and school can start in person again. </div>