Old 05-13-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think you are right, Bim. As much as I'd like to see closures and work stoppages continue until we know it's safer than it is now, that's just not possible. All we can do is start opening incrementally and then see what happens in various places, tightening and loosening controls location by location. It's going to be very confusing and frustrating for a good long time. Right where I live, there are very few confirmed cases, but we have JUST started testing around here a few days ago, and only for people with symptoms. So we really have no idea yet if there are cases here. People have been good about isolating and being careful right in my town, but now people are getting very restless and not understanding why we still have restrictions at all. Something has to give or our local economy will be decimated. It's a thorny problem, for sure.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>&nbsp;I am starting to hear about universities already throwing in the towel for fall semester. If that happens around here, it will affect pretty much every aspect of my life. I work at t a university that is already struggling financially, and everyone is getting to the end of their ropes with working and teaching online only. Students are suffering. It's bad. Continuing that into fall semester would have repercussions I don't even want to think about. And, my kid is supposed to go off to college in the fall. I'm not sure he will enroll in the fall at all if it's all online. And of course he won't be leaving home if classes are online. So I'm really hoping things are safer by fall and school can start in person again. </div>