Notices

FOMO feeling at Weekends? Weekenders 08 - 11 May 2020

Old 05-11-2020, 12:21 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

A perk of Covid: I've been walking a LOT. There is a very large city park that is about a 30 minute walk from my house. It is on the same river as my property.

Today I got down there pretty early.

I finally - after almost 30 years - found where the local Bald Eagles nest is!! There were two adults at the nest, but I couldn't tell if their eggs have hatched or if their chicks have fledged.

So I'm watching them for 10 minutes or so, and the one who was sitting on a high perch above the nest takes off, wings in a delta. The Hunt!! S/he dipped below the trees but came up with a pretty good sized fish - maybe a young salmon, probably 8-12 inches and flapping around. The eagle took the fish to a tree away from the nest, and then I saw a sub-adult eagle (full grown, no white feathers yet) land in a tree near the nest. Of course all this time there is eagle vocalizations, from the young one and both adults. I thought the young one may have been their fledged young from this season, but in a couple minutes I saw the adult flying back toward the nest. It landed the catch in the nest and then the other adult took off after the young one. Apparently it was an intruder, and it had a wingman! Suddenly there were two sub-adults and the parent eagle was chasing them away and they all were pretty loudly communicating. Then the second parent eagle took off after them too.

Pretty cool to watch. The young ones left and the parents returned to the nest in victory. Might have been last year's young. Obviously not invited for breakfast, whoever they were.

As I was walking home I saw the two youngsters still circling the river, no doubt trying to figure out where the fish are. It was a very good walk. Tomorrow I bring binoculars. Maybe a lawn chair and lunch, as well!
Old 05-11-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

And a video camera......gosh that sounds amazing bim!!!!
I would love to see that.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:52 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

What a cool experience, Bim! Eagles are such interesting and majestic creatures; they can bevfierce when protecting their young or hunting. How fortunate you were to have witnessed those moments, Bim!

Kailey, thanks for the adorable video.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Making black bean soup and homemade bread for dinner. It would be so wonderful if all of you could join me for dinner.

I think I made this dinner at the beginning of the lock-down, social distancing mandates. I tend to cycle through my recipes. I think that I have made this soup 4 times since all of this began. It is starting to feel like forever.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I have never had black bean soup....sounds divine.....is there garlic? Cos if the answer is no I am on the way. s xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 05-11-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Absolutely no garlic! See you soon!
Old 05-11-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Oooooo.......

Darling, perhaps I could get your recipe.
Love you to pieces. xxxxx

Looking forward to the day it is safe again and I will come visit you in a heartbeat. s
Old 05-11-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

I will send it to you!
Old 05-11-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

s xxxxxxxx
Old 05-11-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

The eagles are cool to see. We saw one when we took the boat out on Saturday, but there was no drama.
I like to make black beans and rice, but do it when my wife is gone and I put a LOT of onion and garlic in it, LOL.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:23 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Here I am awake since 3 am again.

Bim the description of your walk and eagle encounter is great. I am glad you are getting out and about. I'm not sure I would be sitting eating lunch under those hungry wayward eagles though.

I can't eat garlic either, it gives me a migraine but dinner at yours sounds nice Leigh.

Captain I didn't know dogleg was an actual golfing term, learning all the time.

Mags I hope you are bearing up with the shielding. My Dad is also mean't to be shielded but living on his own he is becoming inpatient and has been out for walks several times and muttering about going to the shops on the bus!
Old 05-11-2020, 10:33 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekendersツ

Bim, wow! You池e so lucky to see the eagles. A seat, and a picnic sounds just the job for your next walk......best not have salmon though.....take care of eagles taking your food!

Kaily, sorry you woke early again. This happened to me years ago, I started waking up very early. I couldn稚 beat it so I adjusted my life a bit. Go to bed a bit earlier to make up for 3/4 am wake up.
Hope your dad is ok going out when he should be shielding. I suspect if we could see this virus in the air he may think twice. Then again, we are laws unto ourselves. I知 ok most days with the shielding thanks. I know I知 safest at home, I致e got a small garden I can sit in for a while if I want, I知 reading a lot of books too.ツ I had to turn my thoughts of escaping to enjoying the shielding. Having the internet really helps too.ツ I知 sure I値l have more frustrations (like everyone) in the coming months but I知 here for the long haul, or at least until a vaccine is available.ツ

Take care and stay safe. xxxx
Old 05-11-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders! Wow bim you were really lucky to have been there to see those eagles interact like that. They are magnificent birds. The earliest news story I can remember involved a Golden Eagle named Goldie escaping from London Zoo and terrorising some pets in Regents Park. He remained free for 12 days and lived to a ripe old age.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:53 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning you guys not sure if anyone remembers this video but hope it might raise a laugh for anyone needing it.Hope you're all relatively well x
https://youtu.be/BKWRqH-vK_w

Last edited by Soberwolf; 05-11-2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: YT link went wrong
Old 05-11-2020, 11:58 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning all. bright and sunny here but a bit chilly. feeling a bit demob-happy today at the thought of being allowed out a bit more from tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

andy, are they easing restrictions where you are?

I don't think eagles take peoples' food. That would be crows! When I go to the beach, I have carabiners on my backpack zippers so they don't steal my lunch, little buggers.

The eagles' nest in Florida has two young in the nest. A couple weeks ago the mom brought back a squirrel: turns out it is a toy (stuffed) squirrel. Took us a while to figure that one out, it looks real. The moderators of the chat on the Eagle Cam have named it "Stuffy."
Old 05-12-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
andy, are they easing restrictions where you are
hi Bim,
yes, from tomorrow we're going to be allowed some more freedom in recreation - we can drive to places, go to sit in the park, etc. - rather than just exercise, while still maintaining distancing, which seems reasonable.
people in construction, manufacturing, etc. are being told to go back to work though, which seems more problematic.

our death-toll took a 10k jump today though, when they started including death in care homes, so the relaxation is maybe a bit premature, I hope I'm wrong.

how are things with you?
Old 05-12-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

just imagine it's formatted right
Old 05-12-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

how are things with you?
Depends on when you ask! Mornings (it's 6:30AM here) are good. I have coffee!

We never had lockdown on recreation, just "Keep up the 6 feet separation" recommendation. We were encouraged to stay close to home for our exercise but really there is no enforcement, so what's the point?
Old 05-12-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Nice to see you, Wolfie. I saw that video years ago - it's really fun.

I'm a total zombie today. I have not been sleeping well, and last night was just awful. So much anxiety, and I don't really know why. Got almost no sleep. I might have to sneak over to my sofa for a cat nap or two today. No one will know. Things are slowing down at work some, so I am doing catch-up on some things that were not really urgent that got put off. They can wait another day. I still have to be monitoring e-mail and keeping up with immediate requests but a half-hour away from the computer won't matter much.

Weather is finally settling into spring here. There was frost on the ground this morning, but the weather man PROMISED it won't get into the 30's again until fall. They are predicting close to 80 degrees by the beginning of next week. My landscaping project is beginning then, too. So exciting!