Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Extended Vacation..Sailing Sober - Weekenders 17 - 20 April 2020

Notices

Extended Vacation..Sailing Sober - Weekenders 17 - 20 April 2020

Old 04-18-2020, 12:56 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Old 04-18-2020, 12:57 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Suze.

I think, comedy or great drama. To my taste a thriller is a litte tense for this relaxing evening.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

OK.....I have a movie. A funny one that is a lovely distraction.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:03 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

OK....there is a drink there....sigh.....sorry....I had another choice, but also saw a drink.................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrr

My first choice was Brittany Runs A Marathon.
It is sweet and beautiful and funny and empowering.

My third choice is a brilliant classic.....

Old 04-18-2020, 01:31 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Murder by Death looks like the movie right for the occasion.

I vote for it!
Old 04-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

One of my fav scenes from the movie.....

Old 04-18-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Sailing movie? I'm thinking Perfect Storm. LOL. Probably worse form than Castaway for sailing them.

My wife has been going to a local farm to get fresh strawberries and produce. Don't know if the big farmer's market us still open.

Those platters have me thinking about BBQ and oysters.

Where I grew up, there were a lot of hog nose snakes. They get flattened out and make a threatening sound effect, but I figured out that they were quite docile to pick up. Bad thing is that they look very similar to ground rattlesnakes (pygmy) and a lot of people get bit thinking that they are picking up a hog nose.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
saoutchik

For the first time in at least a year, maybe two years, I was wanting a drink earlier this evening. It was only for a couple of minutes and there was no chance of me acting on it but I suspect it is the result of my shrunken horizons becoming oppressive after nearly a month.

An on deck cinema is a great idea. I have an excellent rooftop one near me called The Queen of Hoxton. Like much else it is closed for now. Here it is in the photo below which is a screen grab not my own although I think I posted one a year or two ago. I suppose I should also point out that the weather in England isn't always clear blue sky seen here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200418_223049-512x278.jpg (72.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 02:56 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Let's hope we don't spot this ship on our travels although it does look really cool.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Dutchman
Attached Images
Old 04-18-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Don't worry Venuscat, I can see that that is only sparkling mineral water in a posh glass, we're safe.
I love fresh strawberries City boy, I can't resist them.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Oh, man. Movie on the foredeck....that's a 140 inch movie screen on Sunseeker Project 8X...you can google for more.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Sao, I have felt trapped and frightened a few times in the past 5 weeks since we went into lockdown.

In the first week or so I really wanted some way to escape...at some point I made peace with it, and thankfully alcohol wasn't the way I wanted to escape. There just is no escape, right?

I'm glad you talked some sense into yourself.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

That feast looks amazing Mags! Yum!

Hawkeye I vote for caramel popcorn to go with the movie

I didn’t sleep well in my bunk last night. I think I’ll swing a hammock on deck under the stars tonight

Sober Sunday morning here. I’m going to walk on the beach today, I’ll try to remember to take a photo
Old 04-18-2020, 07:40 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

You got it Willow. Carmel corn it is!

Cooking up the sugar now—dark raw cane stuff from Mauritius. So syrupy and crunch

Adding a little extra warm butter and some really nice Maldon flaked sea salt from England which tastes crunchy and amazing.

Let’s start the film!
Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

3.30 am and I can't sleep. Like Sao I have been having drinking thoughts. Didn't help when my Dad who can't leave his house as vulnerable asked me to buy him beer when I was getting his shopping. Major trigger in more ways than one.

So chocolate once again is becoming a thing obsession addiction problem must have. I am looking for comfort. I have a million worries eating away at me.

Still walking Alfies little paws off.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:17 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

5:00 am and can't sleep.... Like Sao and Kaily (hi guys...) I had a drinking thought yesterday but came nowhere near to acting on it. I guess it's just the lockdown becoming oppressive. Instead I had a big bottle of diet coke which was a mistake. It was my go-to in early sobriety and the taste of it brought back some unwelcome memories. Oh well, we live and learn...

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Now there's a rare breed, a software engineer who documents!
Ha, yes. Persuading clients that technical documentation for future reference is worth paying for is often tricky though. Never mind...

Anyway, good to see Alfie on his walks once again. Thanks Mags for the food - glad to see the Serenity is so well provisioned.

Back to bed for me. Best wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:48 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Magsie

Ahoy shipmates

Kaily, Alfie is so adorabubble. You can see he really loves his walks.

Booze came in my mind an odd time on the lock down. The sensible and practical part of me knows I don’t drink (and cares for my health) but now and again the little devil raises its voice. It’s got no chance in my life after booze. I’m not going back there again. But it is good to be here and be aware that it can happen. (And be prepared for the little beast!)

Film looks good Suze, I like Peter Sellers. I saw him in a serious part once ‘Being There’. Shirley MacLaine is in it too. Very thought provoking.

It’s a good night to be under the stars. Beautiful.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:41 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Deserted beach today for a walk, my favourite place when it’s quiet This is nearby where I live so it’s a lovely place to exercise, so long as there aren’t too many people about. Mostly it’s pretty quiet these days because it’s quite away out of town and only local residents are supposed to go there. We have to stay in our area to exercise, so I’m very grateful to live in such a beautiful part of the world ❤️

Old 04-19-2020, 12:08 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Morning, shipmates!

I hope everyone enjoyed the movie night)

Time for a morning swim!
Old 04-19-2020, 01:06 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Morning MB and everyone. Sorry I’ve been hiding in my cabin this week. Think being locked down is really getting to me after almost 5 weeks at home. I drank on Friday. I really miss people, I miss seeing all those different faces in the city, I miss the office banter, so many things are on that list. Don’t want to moan about it too much as everyone is suffering the same so I feel super selfish talking about me, we’re all going through it.

It’s a beautiful day here but not able to muster up any appreciation for it. My usual walking routes are now like Piccadilly Circus as everyone is using them to get in their daily exercise. I can’t dip over into many of the fields to avoid this as it’s lambing season and don’t want to stress out the pregnant sheep or frighten the baby lambs.

I am gonna have a bath and wash my hair, do a bit of tidying and see if I can lift my spirits in some way. This too shall pass! x