Notices

How do you get out of a bender

Old 03-07-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking someday.

Today is not great I have run out of booze feel dreadful. Do I go buy more or do I struggle this out. Think I’m probably still over the limit to drive so that means an Uber and that didn’t go too well for me yesterday.

Let’s see I need to come out of this bender I know it is going to be tough. Gosh everything is wrong my house looks a state was sick all over my carpet am never sick. Can’t seem to clean it. Gosh drinking is so much fun.

I have just sat in silence drinking for days is that normal. I realise is not what normal people do not spoken to anyone not watched TV have sent a few work emails am hoping they weren’t too obvious.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Make a short term goal, today I will not drink. Read read read, and realize that this can be your last drink. I did it with lots of science and reading. I wasn’t proud, I knew that the booze fog was causing my hesitation and self loathing. The relief is temporary at such a high cost. I have 418 days. My withdrawals were hell, but just own it’s gonna suck and push through.
As others suggested if you feel really ill and need help go to the ER, I’ve done that too. There is no shame. It’s worth it and you are worth it. Have faith in the boards that it gets better.

You CAN do this!
Old 03-07-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wood4trees2018 View Post
So much support on this site. Thank you so much.
Its why we are all here. You deserve support too. And we are here for you.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have made it through today Not feeling great as you can imagine.

Now on to sleep in a couple of hours. Hmm let’s see how that goes.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:39 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day one

I found it helpful to lie down and close my eyes...I hope you'll get a little sleep tho.

D
D
Old 03-07-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Don't worry about sleep too much Wood4. That is great you made it through the day. Well done. Just get some rest and perhaps sleep will come.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Well done on day 1 W4T! Hope you get some sleep and feel a little bit better for it. If you find your withdrawals getting too bad please get yourself to an ER. Stay safe
Old 03-07-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Congrats on keeping posting here and on day 1 Hope you get some rest and post again tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:56 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wood4trees2018 View Post
I have made it through today Not feeling great as you can imagine.

Now on to sleep in a couple of hours. Hmm let’s see how that goes.

Might take a few days to feel right again, well done on the first day though
Old 03-07-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Samantha

Glad to hear that you were able to stop and get out of the cycle. I can only imagine your liver needs a break. Continue to post and come back for support!
Old 03-07-2020, 09:26 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

You have to break the cycle and change the mindset. Be as stubborn as hell and don't listen to av no matter what.

Once you are over the initial withdrawals some form of exercise helps. Walking was and still is my go to, miles and miles to the point of exhaustion.

You are past the point of enjoying any part of what alcohol has to offer, it's just goading you with its false promises of pleasure and relaxation.

You were such an inspiration to me back in the class of Oct '18. I have every faith you can do it again, permanently this time.

Keep posting Wood.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How's it going today, Wood?
Old 03-08-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
I never could stop a bender. In the 30+ years I drank, I would maybe have a dozen or two dozen sober days per year, but the only reason I was sober those days is because I was too sick to drink anymore. Stopping for good is the only way out my friend. Otherwise your life is just bender and withdrawals and benders and withdrawals. A wretched, pathetic, miserable awful gutter life.
I read this and think, a dozen a year aint bad. In my 30+ years of drinking I think I only did not drink twice. Both cuz I was too sick ofcourse. And yea, stopping for good was great. You have to want it and the time has to be right(whatever that is) For some it never comes. For me, coming here and reading alot put me over the edge for wanting to quit. Best of luck to ya. Stay here reading and psyche yourself out to not drink tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:45 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

Pleased to report I have made it out of the other side 10 days sober no longer have the shakes which is so nice.

I’m well practiced at getting sober for a bit have spent pretty much 50% of the last year sober trouble is when I do drink I drink more than I ever did before I decided to try and stop.

With all that is going on in the world facing that sober has to be better than facing it drunk but I’ve been given an excuse to isolate not that I needed one. So this is going to be tough.

Anyway I won’t drink today. I hope everyone is doing as well as they can be during this time.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:10 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad to read this Wood4trees2018

D
Old 03-17-2020, 03:19 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

I only had a bender one time and it was pretty terrifying. It lasted maybe 24 hours. I drank with a friend after a local concert we sang in, and I slept at her house. I couldn't sleep well, maybe napped for two hours, so when she woke up we started sipping beers again. At some point we walked to a bar, where thankfully people know us, and I got upset at some point and left behind some of my belongings. I remember laying face down in the forest at one point. Apparently the friend I had been drinking with, and a mutual male friend who I had been angrily drunk-texting, were very concerned about me because I had wandered out of the bar and left my things. I did not really have a chance to continue this bender, as I woke up briefly in the forest, stumbled home and slept then for like an entire day. I had no desire to drink after waking up from that. In fact, that prefaced one of my 30 day periods of sobriety.

I'm sorry for people who are able to keep drinking longer than that. I feel lucky I guess that I just can't keep drinking after that point. I'm gonna pass out before I can drink too much more, then when I wake up I just never wanted to do "hair of the dog." Oh that doesn't mean I didn't ever try "hair of the dog" but I threw up so violently afterwards that I never wanted to do it again.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Samantha

For me I binge on one bottle at a time so once that's gone that's when it ends. And where I live there's no easy way to get booze unless I want to take a taxi or bus which usually I don't so....it just ends but it's always hard.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news, Wood4trees...so happy for you.