Notices

How do you get out of a bender

Old 03-06-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi W4T 🙂

Do you want to stop??
I know it can be extremely frustrating to seek help in the uk but any avenue you take has to start with you.
Do you have a mental health practitioner alongside your gp? My surgery recently hired one and she has been so helpful in guiding me in the right direction - They also have a lot more time than the gp!
Inpatient waiting times can be daunting so I'd probably agree with what the other guys said and maybe go to A&E as a starting point?
Withdrawals are scary but you dont have to do it alone whether theres medical intervention or even just continuing to come to SR for support.
You deserve to re-engage with and enjoy life. You deserve to be healthy and to move forwards rather than being stuck in this vicious cycle.
I hope you find the courage to take that first step. We will all be here rooting for you 😊
Old 03-06-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good to see you still pushing forward Wood4Trees. As other have said withdrawal will play itself out. If you need medical assistance please seek it out. Always good to keep yourself hydrated in the meantime. Soup is good, as are oats.

Thing with withdrawal is it does have an endpoint whereas drinking plays on like a broken record. Stuck.

I really like your username Wood4Trees.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Of course medical/friend supervision is ideal but I know on my last one ten months ago I just decided on the next opportunity to sleep (well, attempt to) and took that for a few hours and then came back here to be motivated through withdrawals. Tapering didn't work for me; only you'd know if you could honestly manage that.

I wish ya well anyway, hopefully see you getting better asap.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My entire life had been a bender for a long, long time.

I checked into a treatment center, went through 5 weeks of treatment and have followed their instructions (by actively participating in AA) ever since.

I haven't had a drink in a long time.

That's what I had to do.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I never could stop a bender. In the 30+ years I drank, I would maybe have a dozen or two dozen sober days per year, but the only reason I was sober those days is because I was too sick to drink anymore. Stopping for good is the only way out my friend. Otherwise your life is just bender and withdrawals and benders and withdrawals. A wretched, pathetic, miserable awful gutter life.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Wood4trees2018

Back in my day, when I knew I had to stop before I hurt myself or because I'd just spent my last $20 on booze, or I was incredibly ill, I would clear the house of booze and I would put myself on house detention and not go outside for a day.

I figured if I couldn't manage that I needed to look seriously at things like AA or some other group to help me.

I pretty much sat on SR here that first day and ones following after - so it is possible to break a bender that way.

D
Old 03-06-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The UK is rubbish for WD. You get no sympathy whatsoever. They just want you out of the bed to give to someone who is more "unwell".

The only way out of the bender is to stop drinking, but I know the feeling. Every night I'd go to bed "drunk" but with the strongest willpower in the world because I had alcohol inside me so I felt normal, that I wouldn't drink in the morning. And then 5 hours after my last drink, when I had obviously been sleeping, I'd wake up in the peak of WD's and I'd be shaking, and I would lay there battling the urge to drink because I knew if I did take a drink I wouldn't stop all day and I'd be drunk again and I'd be in the exact same position tomorrow morning, the decision to drink won every time, I was powerless. I'd walk downstairs and go straight to the fridge and pour myself a very large glass of wine or vodka and neck it. It really is the pits of humanity moments like that, people that haven't been there just don't understand. I couldn't stop from my last bender without meds from the hospital. That was April 2018, never had a bender like that since thankfully.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It’s 0030 in the UK I don’t know what time I started this thread.

I got an Uber to get more alcohol the driver did not wait for me WTF I had showered and cleaned up 2 hour walk home. I am not a nasty drunk so have no idea what he left me stranded.

Bonus is a few years ago I would have driven to the shop so have learned my lesson from the 18 month drink drive ban I got.

Lost my driving licence, my marriage and I still don’t think I have a bad problem. F knows how I haven’t lost my job. I can do sober I just can’t keep it and now seems I don’t drink at all or I just drink drink and more drink. It was easier when I just drank trying to stop drinking has just made it worse for whatever reason.

Not sure where I go next I can’t stay on this bender forever but seems I am struggling to get off of it. Just don’t drink eh. Only alcoholics would say that and know what that means to an active alcoholic. Am grateful for your support people here get it.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

As long as you keep buying more alcohol, you're digging a deeper hole.

I've seen members who are still drinking dismiss out of hand the idea that they can just stop, It's almost like they're committed to self destruction.

'well I've lit the fuse, may as well stick around for the explosion'

No one said it will be easy.

It will be very uncomfortable and you will be tested, but those of us who have been there know it's possible to stop..and from that stop a new future cn take root.

you can choose to drink the booze you have and you can choose then to go and get some more....

or you can call quits on the madness.

How longs it been since you were sober now? A year? more?

do you reckon you have another year of drinking like this in you Wood?

Choose a side man - before its too late.

D
Old 03-06-2020, 05:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I guess you might have an idea why your Uber left you stranded, right? Perhaps he didn't want to be a party to getting alcohol for a person who VISIBLY and CLEARLY should not be drinking anymore? In the depths of it we have trouble seeing ourselves clearly. Just one possibility.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Wood4trees. I'm glad you posted about what's going on. I hope you'll stay around & keep talking - you never have to feel alone. Most of us have been through this same thing. Even though there'll be some misery as you withdraw, it's going to be wonderful to get free of it. It's such a relief to leave our reckless, unhealthy, dangerous drinking days behind. You can do it.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I checked myself into a detox facility. Eventually after a few tries,I never went on another bender and have 457 days sober
Old 03-06-2020, 06:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I wish I had some good advice on how to stop a bender but I can't think of anything specific that worked for me. But I feel for you because I used to drink the same way. I'd be sober for periods of time and then once I got going, I'd just keep it up until I ran out of steam. There were days I'd feel stuck in my place, unable to go out because I was drinking and the weather outside would be beautiful. But id keep my place very dark and venture out at night to get more liquor.

The way I'd usually stop drinking is I'd end up sleeping about 6 hours, long enough for my inebriation to pass and wake up feeling awfully sick. Id lay there for a few hours, tossing and turning, knowing that it was time to tough it out. When the sun came up, Id get up, finally eat some food, get some gatorade and take a very hot shower to get the blood flowing. Id stay up for as long as I could and then I'd take a marijuana edible and sleep again . It was hard but I couldn't fully stop until the inebriation had passed. If I woke up still drunk Id just keep drinking.

I hope you can find a way off the bender. Those days were awful and I am glad I decided to leave them behind. But I remember feeling like I couldn't stop drinking even when I wanted to so I feel for you man cause I know what thats like.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats CincyFin

D
Old 03-06-2020, 08:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

So many fabulous replies.

I get the bender will end when it runs out of steam

I hope to rely to you all when I escape this not something where we want to be
Old 03-06-2020, 09:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You get an Uber because it’s the right thing to so. They should just **** off should I drive next time. Clearly not. I am so disappointed with Uber
Old 03-06-2020, 09:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get the bender will end when it runs out of steam
that a really passive position to take. Almost like you have no say in it at all.

You get an Uber because it’s the right thing to so. They should just **** off should I drive next time. Clearly not. I am so disappointed with Uber
I wasn't in your Uber but I will say that whenever I see an obviously intoxicated guy I can smell the booze a mile away, I can see the wobbly steps and the glassy stare.

I used to shower too, and I didn't think I was that drunk but I became known to the local taxi drivers (no uber then) and it was often hard for me to get a booking.

just sayin'...

Maybe this guy was unfair maybe not, but do not drink or drive tho, under any circumstances.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Throw the booze away, lay down and go to sleep. When you wake up, fight the urge to go get more and get medical assistance if needed. Just a couple of days, and you'll be out of the worst.

(Easier said than done, I know)
Old 03-06-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yep you right geatinquiry I think I have been hard drinking for 2 weeks.

Yep easier said than done. Thought it wasn’t Just me
Old 03-07-2020, 02:11 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

How's it going today wood4trees?