Notices

Class of February 2020 Support Thread Pt 1

Old 02-04-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Perhaps you can tell HR that you would prefer the part-time role still?
I know it's hard....guilt and stuff can stop me from asserting my needs.
I think if that's not an option right now, I would still be letting them know this is your preference when it feels more comfortable. s xx
Old 02-04-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus ive just replied saying I'm not sure about going back full time as didn't realise how ill i had become till i took a step back. I just really want to get myself well im so scared of going back to where i was few weekends ago
Old 02-04-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Oh good, I hope you feel a bit better now. s xx
Old 02-04-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I hope the job situation works out to your liking Tinker. My job is very stressful and I’ve burnt out over the years. I often think about stepping down a notch, I’d lose some money of course but I’d adapt.

Day two here, I’m ready for the gifts and rewards of sobriety to return my way. It’ll happen slowly but surely if I (we) don’t drink today. Then repeat!
Old 02-04-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

It will indeed happen dearest Jimi. s xx
Old 02-04-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hey Purina.....you have been missed.....come join the class. s xx
Old 02-04-2020, 04:30 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jimi -
Any ideas on what you might do differently this time?

Tink - I think putting yourself first is a good thing - but everyone needs money for themselves and their family - I hope you can find the balance point

D
Old 02-04-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I dunno exactly Dee. My first inclination is to avoid that question which isn’t a good sign. I’ve been journaling my journey periodically and going back to read helps reinforce why I shouldn’t drink. I starting writing everyday now to help keep me on track. It’s mostly about diet and exercise which correlates directly to sobriety for me. I can’t achieve my goals when I drink.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:19 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Welcome Kjma

Day 3 for me. Had little sleep but didn't take any sleep meds which is good. I know normal sleep will resume soon enough. Got a headache and feel weak but it's better than a hangover. I have work today then will come home and go for a long walk.

It's interesting reading WHY people drink, hiding feelings, loneliness, help sleep etc. I am happy, I don't have anything to hid or cover up, yet still I drink. I love the buzz, the initial hit. Maybe there is a bit of boredom in there too. I only drink at home, we don't go out. The winter evenings seem so long and dark. Wine in front of the fire seemed so nice. I'm not romanticizing it as know we are way way beyond that. Anyway just thoughts.

have a good day everyone,
Thank you for this post, ReadyAtLast, this helped me. It was good to hear you wonder about WHY people drink, because I needed to ask this of myself. Like you, I’m not trying to escape or avoid anything, I just like the feeling, the buzz. Takes the edge off, but before I know it it’s spiraling out of control and I’m doing it daily, so it’s a habit and not an enjoyment. I’ve found it helps to ask myself what is driving my urge when I get one, and that to give in is destructive. It’s a constant battle for me, to fight the urge to drink, but if I can resist and just make it through the day, it’s a victory and I can fight the next battle tomorrow.

Keep it up, best of luck on your journey.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:20 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me it was all about changes.

I needed to find a new way to deal with stress, deal with problems, boredom, anger, disappointment etc

I also needed to find ways to have fun and relate to people without alcohol.

Those kind of wholesale changes are hard to make when you can rationalise that another binge probably won't hurt...but things really can change in an instant in that respect.

I'm glad you recognise you can have the life you want or be the man you want to be, or you can drink...but not both.

Its good you're back tho - clearly there's a big part of you than wants this madness to stop

D
Old 02-04-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Checking in after day 2. All in all a good day. Went for a run, tended to a bunch of kid stuff, and grocery shopped. Felt quite stressed at one point and my husband gently reminded me not to let the stress drive me to the drink. No desire today, so that is something to be grateful for.

Tink, stand firm in your decision; whatever you think is best for your sobriety and health.

Jimi, Glad you’re on board with us. I think I was in another class with you as QuitNow4. We’ll get this. The important thing is we never give up.

Hello to the rest of you and let’s do this again tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:47 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Day 1 (again) for me. Though in just under 2 minutes it will be the start of day 2 for me.

I had just popped outside about 10 minutes ago to get some fresh air and was staring at the sky because I though I noticed some movement. Sure enough it was a shooting star. I believe they are a sign of good luck so here's hoping that's true. Strange thing is it was a green ball of fire. I've seen shooting stars before but never a one with a bright green fireball.

I live about 6 miles away from the sea and it looked like it fell into the sea. Quite a spooky experience to see it.
Was it this one? Sounds like it was quite large:

A man's doorbell camera has captured a celestial light show as what is thought to be a meteor dropped through the night sky in Derby.

Gary Rogers, 52, who captured the footage about 23:30 GMT on Monday, said he was amazed and felt lucky to have seen it.

Experts at the National Space Centre in Leicester said they believe it was a bolide - a bright meteor that explodes in the atmosphere.

Rob Dawes, chairman of nearby Sherwood Observatory, said the brightness suggested it was larger than a normal meteor.

He said: "[Mr Rogers] was very lucky to get such a nice bright one. But you'd be surprised how many of these do come into the atmosphere at any time of year."
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...amera-in-derby
Old 02-04-2020, 11:09 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Tink- I would stand firm to go PT if you can afford it. To have resigned took huge courage so you must have really wanted it. Don't let them bully you back. They obviously want you back so much and will accept YOUR terms. Learning how to say no and standing up for ourselves is a huge part of sobriety.

I'm a classic example of stepping down and stepping back. I used to work in London in the murky world of finance! Earned good money and had a good life, or so I thought, much of which involved drinking. Packed it all in and now I live in a remote corner of Scotland and work in a minimum wage job. Best thing I ever did. just need to stop drinking now.

Thanks for your post healthystep-great reflection.

Day 5 and so relieved i didn't drink last night. Not slept the best but that doesn't matter. on with the day
Old 02-04-2020, 11:45 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone yes i think i will try and hold out to see if they sort the part time contract as it would give me such a better work life balance. Ive been killing myself trying to work full time, be a single mam, keep house, help my elderly grandma and my dad how had a massive stroke, dealing with death of my ex, and complete rejecton from an attemped new relationship and it just had me reaching for the wine, over and over. Something had to change !! Since i havnt been at work my son is happier, my house is clean and i've hit 14 days today !!
Old 02-05-2020, 01:52 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jewel72 View Post
Jimi, Glad you’re on board with us. I think I was in another class with you as QuitNow4. We’ll get this. The important thing is we never give up.

Hello to the rest of you and let’s do this again tomorrow.
Hey Jewel, so true! Tomorrow is here for me in New York. I’m starting work an hour later today,, 6am instead of 5am. I still woke up ar 4:00, but I have time for coffee and SR. Feeling pretty chipper on day three
Old 02-05-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Love and good morning and good afternoon and goodnight. s ❤️
Old 02-05-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Day 3. It is so nice to enjoy coffee. I never do when hung over. But boy do I love
A sober morning with coffee. Especially before the kids wake up. Just me and my pup. I will cherish this feeling and hold on to it.

Today is daughter’s bday, so should be a fun family night with no temptation to drink. I’ve already been to the store and made preparations, so I’m good there. Meeting a friend (non drinking) for lunch and tending to school stuff.

Tink, congrats on 2 weeks! You’re doing this. Stay close and keep taking care of yourself.

Jimi, I hope work isn’t too stressful today.

RAL, 5 days is great. I didn’t sleep great either, but like you, grateful I didn’t drink yesterday. Have a great day/evening.

Hi Healthystep, Robbie, Venus, Dee. Purina-come on back when you can.

And hello to everyone else from the page before. Keep posting!
Old 02-05-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean dear Jewel.
And it is something that keeps the joy of sobriety close to my heart every single morning when I smell the aroma of the espresso and then that first taste....just heaven.

I will never forget how good that is, and how very bad it was to almost choke on my coffee every morning when I was hungover. It just tasted wrong....somehow laced with guilt and shame.

s ❤️

And

to your daughter! s
Old 02-05-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Totally agree about the coffee. When I'm drinking my heart is usually beating so fast in the morning so I don't drink coffee as it would make it worse. Day 4 here.
Not sure how I feel, a bit tired and bored and irritated.
Trying to remember how booze would not make me more awake or interested or calm.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Booze made me completely bored, very tired and extremely irritated. Just saying....that's what it always did to me. s xx

I am thinking about your awesome username...so cool.....also thinking that a basket for socks is a really good idea....so much easier to rummage around and find the ones you want. It would also help me enjoy folding my husband's socks...I used to love folding socks....I love everything about laundry (yes I am weird), but there are just so many socks....if I am a day or so late doing my laundry there are 18 socks that need a friend. Now if I had a basket to toss them into after folding each one, that would be fun.

Actually, I am just playing here....my husband is so awesome that he folds all of his underwear and socks now, and he enjoys it. I lay it all out in perfect order from the dryer and he does his thing. Very nice for moi.

s ❤️