Notices

Class of February 2020 Support Thread Pt 1

Old 02-02-2020, 05:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm in. Day 1 today.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi linners.
thanks bonne. Yes I live in a very rural area so plenty of walks.been out this morning and going to go out again for another walk later to.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all think i will try walking too, been for short walk today was too cold to keep my little one out long but think i might try do a hour each day when he is at school. Feel very unsettled today but guess im not not usedto spendin weekends sober. Just eating too much at the moment
Old 02-02-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Tink, even just a short walk helps I'm sure. I took my junior out with me too and he complained all the way Still feel better for getting out for a bit. trying to be positive, at least we are in february, Nights are getting lighter
Old 02-02-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Thanks for your kindness Dee and Anna and not judging. I am so sick and fed up with myself and my inability to stay sober.

Today is a vile day weatherwise but I am going out for a long walk. Every day after work I am going to come home and then go back out for a walk too. Even just breaking the habit and connection of coming home from work and pouring wine can only help.

Got my recovery books out too and will start to read them. I got sober with Rational Recovery and SR before. I know it works if I put my heart and soul into it. That;s been the problem-I've not been putting my all into it. Maybe at first but not as the weeks go by. and fundamentally it boils down to wanting to be sober more than I want to drink wine. Which I do. Until I don't or I think I don't but I do really and know it's just my AV talking. I need to get a better plan and recovery tools in place to deal with those situations when they arise.
Hi I am on day 2 today. I also had read several abstinence books in the past and now I wonder if I should read the same books once again or find new ones? Or I could read books that geared more toward the psychological reasons that have me turning to a drink. Maybe about how I am unhappy about my life and about how I feel hopeless about the future and my ability to earn good income?

For me I had accrued several weeks of sobriety and really felt like I had put it behind me but then I started to become frustrated about my current life and limitations and I began to lose hope about having the courage to stand up for myself and to be able to earn a good income and one day I started drinking again. I just could not face up to life's hardships and the "bad days" and ended up back in daily drinking again.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I can relate to that, Purina. Sometimes life just seems too much, I feel disappointed in myself and just want the mental escape.
As far as the books go, I love to read so I'd suggest you find new ones and throw an old one into the rotation. Nothing bad about gaining new information. The psychological ones sound good.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think anything that helps you recovery wise is a good read.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome linners !
Hi August and bonnefond

D
Old 02-02-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Feb2020 class!

It looks like we are growing in numbers as the month moves on. Great to know that there are others taking on this sobriety challenge this month.
Most of us have tried this before and for whatever reason, we let the alcohol back into our lives and now need to try again.
My hope is that we can support each other enough to get over those challenging 'trigger' times and make this time a success!

I'd love to hear more about the places people go for walks. I like to make mine a bit different each time, but my favourite walk is around my bush block. It doesn't end up being a fast walk as I stop and watch the birds, pull a few weeds, paddle in the creek and stop to watch the kangaroos on the days that they are here.

Have a great 3rd Feb with no alcohol and as much contentment as you can muster!

PS Day 4 for me.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

New to this site

Hello all! I would like to join in the February challenge. I don't have much experience with attempting to quit drink, but I really want to do this. I know I have a problem with drinking. I hate the time and money I waste on it, not to mention the negative effects on my health. I tend to drink on nights I'm alone and lonely. My thoughts beforehand run along the lines of "what will I do in all this alone time before I can go to sleep?" I want and need to find better ways to spend those evenings. I crave support in this journey and hope to receive (and give) it here.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome Kjma

Day 3 for me. Had little sleep but didn't take any sleep meds which is good. I know normal sleep will resume soon enough. Got a headache and feel weak but it's better than a hangover. I have work today then will come home and go for a long walk.

It's interesting reading WHY people drink, hiding feelings, loneliness, help sleep etc. I am happy, I don't have anything to hid or cover up, yet still I drink. I love the buzz, the initial hit. Maybe there is a bit of boredom in there too. I only drink at home, we don't go out. The winter evenings seem so long and dark. Wine in front of the fire seemed so nice. I'm not romanticizing it as know we are way way beyond that. Anyway just thoughts.

have a good day everyone,
Old 02-02-2020, 11:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome kjma

D
Old 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello, everyone. I just finished Day 12, but I would really like to join this class if that’s ok. I was too ashamed to join yet another class in January, and I am still embarrassed. However, I need all the support I can get, so I am putting my shame aside so that I can commit to sobriety, one day at a time.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are very welcome althea!

There's absolutely no need to feel embarrassed - everyone of us knows how you're feeling cos we've all been there

D
Old 02-03-2020, 12:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone, day 3 here.

Coz, I go walking on (a very small) local mountain which always makes me feel great. It's too cold to go walking in the evenings here at the moment though!

ReadyAtLast, I think that my triggers are
1, When I've spent the whole day with my kids and feel like I 'need' a drink to get me through to bedtime so start at dinner. Then I just carry on after bedtime!
2, Romanticise that 'one' drink, in the sunshine or by the fire or with a pub lunch etc. without playing the tape to the end.
Probably load more but these are the main ones.
Take it easy today guys!
Old 02-03-2020, 12:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

ugh, day 2 sorry.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning everyone, trying to be more positive today, just been for a walk and going to try and eat better today. Got my first appt with my bipolar consultant today, nervous but looking forward to some support with it.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You are very welcome althea!

There's absolutely no need to feel embarrassed - everyone of us knows how you're feeling cos we've all been there

D
Thank you so much, Dee. I can’t begin to describe how comforting your words are. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Welcome Kjma

Day 3 for me. Had little sleep but didn't take any sleep meds which is good. I know normal sleep will resume soon enough. Got a headache and feel weak but it's better than a hangover. I have work today then will come home and go for a long walk.

It's interesting reading WHY people drink, hiding feelings, loneliness, help sleep etc. I am happy, I don't have anything to hid or cover up, yet still I drink. I love the buzz, the initial hit. Maybe there is a bit of boredom in there too. I only drink at home, we don't go out. The winter evenings seem so long and dark. Wine in front of the fire seemed so nice. I'm not romanticizing it as know we are way way beyond that. Anyway just thoughts.

have a good day everyone,
I am so very happy to see you dear RAL. s xx ❤️
You too Linners. xxxxxxxxxxxxx ❤️

And love and welcome to all Februbuddies.
That was the name we gave to our Feb '13 class.
And as it is the 4th already in Aus, it is exactly 7 years right now since the day I started posting in that class thread.

That decision and ongoing commitment changed my life in every way...and I know it will for all of you as well.

And good morning dear Jewel. s ❤️
Old 02-03-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Already blew it. The thoughts crept in and I gave in yesterday. I got wretchedly (is that a word?) sick and I’m paying today. My body was finally getting healthy and it didn’t know how to handle the wine this time. I’ll view this as a blessing and move forward. I’ve decided to go to a meeting tonight. Celebrate Recovery has a meeting near by on Monday nights. I’ve never been. I must take a new and drastic step, because what I’m doing isn’t working. I utterly hate myself and this addiction.

Sorry to be a downer, but I will be positive once I get me back again. I’ll post tonight and let you know how the meeting goes.