Notices

Honestly believe I was one week away from death

Old 01-02-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Your story is amazing. I'm so glad you went to the hospital.

I feel lucky to be alive after some of my binges in the last few months. Really scared of a relapse too but I'm determined not to drink ever again.

​​​
Old 01-02-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Awesome Vinny! You are a great speaker! 2 weeks today for me. Let's do this. Sober 2020's!
Old 01-02-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Awesome Vinny! You are a great speaker! 2 weeks today for me. Let's do this. Sober 2020's!
I feel like you are my ER buddy. 2020 will treat us well!
Old 01-02-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm in my forties, and a heart rate of 176 would be close to my maximum. It is amazing that your body recovered so quickly, and you are fortunate. I pray you continue to make such great progress.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yep! I actually enjoyed the ER haha
Old 01-02-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see you pulled out of the dive before you hit the ground! You too, Wastinglife.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Update

I had my 4 week check in with my doctor for blood work. My organs were all messed up when I checked into the ER for a detox on December 17th. Blood pressure was at stroke-like levels. The numbers from my liver indicated what I would assume to be liver failure quickly if I would’ve continued drinking. I’m not over exaggerating for dramatic effect. This was real. I still have the selfie I took of myself with the IV in. I knew that was the last day of drinking for me. I look at that picture everyday.

I just got my results back and my liver is functioning normal again! My blood pressure is now a perfect 120/80. I still can’t believe my body repaired itself in a month. Now I’m sure there will be issues down the road that will be linked to my excessive drinking but I’m not going to focus on that right now. One win at a time!

It’s cliche to say around here but if I can quit the booze, anyone can. Thank you all at SR for the support and advice to get my life back on track. Honestly have been living on here and I can’t even begin to explain how much it has helped me. My award acceptance speech is over. Have a good day everyone!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Congratulations Vinny! That had to be absolutely great news to hear!
Old 01-15-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
I had my 4 week check in with my doctor for blood work. My organs were all messed up when I checked into the ER for a detox on December 17th. Blood pressure was at stroke-like levels. The numbers from my liver indicated what I would assume to be liver failure quickly if I would’ve continued drinking. I’m not over exaggerating for dramatic effect. This was real. I still have the selfie I took of myself with the IV in. I knew that was the last day of drinking for me. I look at that picture everyday.

I just got my results back and my liver is functioning normal again! My blood pressure is now a perfect 120/80. I still can’t believe my body repaired itself in a month. Now I’m sure there will be issues down the road that will be linked to my excessive drinking but I’m not going to focus on that right now. One win at a time!

It’s cliche to say around here but if I can quit the booze, anyone can. Thank you all at SR for the support and advice to get my life back on track. Honestly have been living on here and I can’t even begin to explain how much it has helped me. My award acceptance speech is over. Have a good day everyone!
That's wonderful news! I'm so pleased for you. Just stay vigilant.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

That is great! Congratulations!

I was too scared to ever get my liver checked. When I went in to the doctor to have my physical before starting my outpatient treatment, I was really honest about my consumption (for the first time) and he was not overly concerned. He asked if I wanted the tests and I said no. I guess if he'd really been worried he would have just done the tests. But my blood pressure and heart rate were both somewhat elevated, I had horrible gastric issues, I was depressed and anxious, I had all sorts of sleeping issues. Within a few weeks off the booze, all of that was gone. I felt better than I ever had, in fact. The human body is amazing. I know many stories of people here who really should have died, and they are healthy now. Of course, there is a point of no return, and I know people who got there, too, and lost their lives. Plain and simple, alcohol is poison and doesn't belong in the human body.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Wow. It's been (almost) a year since I posted this. I just reread it and still cant believe where I am today. Completely sober! I can honestly say I've completely forgotten the feeling of being buzzed/drunk. All the depression and anxiety has magically dissapeared. I have goals again. I cherish daytime now. I hate sleeping because it feels like wasted life to me. What a completely different person I've morphed into.

I think about this site every day. How it was truly the one driving force that gave my dreams of being sober a fighting chance. The thing I found out early in sobriety is that while the people you hold close in your life will try and understand what you're going through, they just aren't capable. They mean well but they haven't been there. It was very important to me to find others exactly like me who wouldnt judge the mistakes I've made. I am so grateful for the people here. You all truly saved my life.

To those that are just starting your path to sobriety, please dont give up. If you fail, try again. If you fail again, try again. Repeat until you find a routine that works for you. Whether you're 20 years sober or 2 hours, take a look around you and realize the good in your life. Work to maintain that and strive to make it better. However you are celebrating the holidays, I wish all of you a safe and happy end to 2020!
Old 12-13-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Vinny, I'm so glad to hear from you and that you are thriving.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

YAY! Look at you! Such a great recovery story.
You have done well my friend.

Keep on keeping on!
Old 12-13-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I love when people come back and let us know they're still sober and doing well. An awesome inspiration. Thank you for the wonderful update!!!
Old 12-13-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Great stories from Vinny and MLD51. We’ve all been scared to go to the doctor in case something terminal is found due to our long-term drinking, It sounds totally daft now. Liver disease is a particular problem as there are almost no symptoms until it’s at an advanced and potentially untreatable stage. Simple blood tests can diagnose liver problems and may well have shocked many people into stopping drinking.

Doctors won’t give a telling off to anyone who says they drink too much. They can probably tell anyway just from a person’s appearance. Why people hold off seeing the doctor is a mystery.

But excellent stuff, Vinny. That’s one amazing recovery!

Old 12-13-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Wow Vinny what a story!
Happy to hear you are sober
Old 12-13-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I am not supposed to drink more than 1.5 liters of anything with water in it .
For example , beer , coffee ,tea , juice .
It lowers sodium level in my blood .
I must have been in ER 3 or 4 times this year with low sodium , broken rib , hyponatremia , fall ,,atherosclerosis of artery etc .

I m sick of being sick !
Old 12-13-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I have just read this thread - excellent, congratulations to you VinnyMcM, most uplifting.

Sorry to read of your sodium issues NONIA. I hope it can be stabilised. Take care.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to hear of your progress & optimism, Vinny. I'm so happy for you & your new life.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Vinny,

Great to hear from you -- congrats. You sound terrific.

Keep in touch.