Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend - Weekenders 29 November - 02 December 2019

Notices

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend - Weekenders 29 November - 02 December 2019

Old 12-02-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Magsie

Afternoon harriett

Bim, gorgeous photo, I love trees.

Willow I love the link for the relapse ladder.

Good to see you Hawkeye, it does help to talk. When I’m feeling a bit off colour I read but don’t always communicate and I begin to feel like I’m on the outside looking in. I always feel better having said hello and stuff.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Headed into 2020,I feel more comfortable and habituated as a non-drinker than back in addiction land. This makes those dam cravings easier to weather--plus the negative reinforcement of how rotten it is to drink now. The last relapse was miserable with literally minutes of "up time" which were paid for by days of suffering--acute and lingering.
Hi Hawkeye - tI feel some of these same feelings and so have some optimism despite the fact I'm only on day 3. I've done lots of things sober in the last year that I hadn't dreamt of doing sober before - I've definitely had far more sober days this year than I've ever previously had. Just need to make it stick this time. I will.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Hawkeye! (as always) Congratulations on nearly 5 months. It would be great to retire sober.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Bim I love fresh starts too. And animals, although there’s no zoo anywhere near me.
Is that forest photo near the beach? It’s magnificent

I do like getting outdoors and going for walks, and seeing what wildlife I can spot. I regularly see all sorts of birds and butterflies. Also often kangaroos, wallabies and various lizards, possums and an occasional bandicoot or echidna. An occasional snake (they’re somewhat scary because mostly I can’t tell which ones are venomous, and most of them are, except the beautiful big pythons). Off the beach I occasionally see a turtle, or some dolphins or very rarely, a crocodile (I’ve only seen one off the beach once).
When I was drinking, I couldn’t be bothered going for a walk, it interfered with drinking time. What a waste. I get to see and do so much more when I’m sober

Hawkeye I really enjoyed your post. I think any transition in life throws up lots of questions and uncertainties. I love what you said about not quitting quitting:
“never give up quitting no matter how many "quits" it takes to finally get it done.”
I’m hopeful that I’m on my last quit this time.
Today is 20 days sober.

Hi Harriet

Actually hi everyone
Old 12-02-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Hi Gang,

Thanks to everyone for the congrats. I'm just pausing to take a breath this evening after working very late last night on my current project. I must remember to check myself and keep things in balance - this addict can easily overdo things...

Hi Snoozy, I'm glad you think my posts sound happy - I do my best :-) Yes sobriety is currently treating me well and for that I'm hugely grateful. I know though that there may be challenges ahead but I'm doing my best one day at a time and that in itself is satisfying.

I hope everyone is having a good week so far. Stay close. Forwards.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hi everyone -
Bim, sorry about your kitty. That is sad to hear.

Kaily - how awful about your neighbor's son. How devastating.

Manta Lady - I can almost feel your pain about your relapse. I hope you can move past this quickly and get back to the work of sobriety. I know you must be feeling pretty low, but try no to spend too much time beating yourself up.

VMan - you sound really good! Happy to hear treatment is going well for you.

Nice to see you, BigSombrero and BigShoe!

I know I have missed something - I just read through the whole thread and I knew I should have taken notes. My brain is aging.

Monday has been ok here - except for needing a plumber at my house yet again. This time there was a clogged pipe that needed clearing, and it was a big one that goes from my house out toward the street (not the big "main drain," but one that flows into it). All fixed now, and I am a little bit poorer. Oh well. Better that than having my basement flooded.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I had some shocking news this morning. A co-worker (from a different department) who's been with the company as long as I have (33 years) and is the same age as me, suddenly passed away on Friday. It made me very upset, even more so when I realized that even tho I've known this person for a very long time, I never really knew much about his life outside the office.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dragon, how sad, it is a big shock too.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Oh that’s sad Dragon
Old 12-02-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

I am sorry Dragon. The finality of death is always shocking.

Willow I loved your post about the wildlife you see, amazing, I usually only see a few squirrels scarpering up the nearest tree.

Mags I hope your asthma is back under control and that you are feeling a bit better.

Great pic Bim. I hope your cat is managing to eat a little food.

My neighbours house has become a shrine. There are flowers and candles everywhere. A steady stream of his friends keep coming. He was clearly loved.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I made a post but took too long and lost it. Sorry to hear your news Dragon x

Left work early and was in bed for 7:30pm, pretty much slept through. Can’t quite fathom how I used to feel like I did yesterday most days hungover. Happy to be one more sober day away from my last drunk. I want to keep it that way, I cannot give myself permission to self destruct like that again.

Hope everyone has a good day and hugs to anyone who is struggling xx
Old 12-03-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning all, still in a bit of shock. I remember saying once I liked being hung-over in the mornings as I was still numb and it helped to block out the world.
Sheesh.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Morning all, still in a bit of shock. I remember saying once I liked being hung-over in the mornings as I was still numb and it helped to block out the world.
Sheesh.
Very sorry to hear it STDragon. Another reason to be thankful for your full life and what seems like very solid sobriety.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Yes Kaily, kitty is eating. I feel like I maybe should be awarded an honorary nursing degree though. Not sure if this is an actual rally for her or how it will go. I've lost cats over the years to kidney disease and it's a lot of uncertainty. One good day and then a bad one and so it goes.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

That's sad, Dragon. It is a bit shocking when someone we know dies suddenly - no matter how close we were to them.

Glad to hear the kitty is eating, Bim. I hope you can get some extra cuddles in while she's feeling better.

Manta - I sometimes remind myself how awful I used to feel several days a week - hungover, ashamed, wondering what awful thing I had done or said - and it's usually all I need to be sure deep down in my soul that I made the right decision to quit. Yes, most people can have a drink now and then and it doesn't really hurt them, but the fact remains - it is poison and any amount of it is not good for us. And for those of us with no off-switch, it's really really dangerous. I hope you are feeling better now.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Just want to say that today especially, I am so thankful and grateful for all of you here on SR. I woke up in a great mood and really "feeling" my sobriety.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Magsie

kaily, yes I’m feeling better than I was thanks.The rescue steroids I have on hand, saved me many calls to emergency services over the last few months..

Marty, I’m pleased you’re feeling ok, you’ve had a lot on your plate just lately, and it’s good to acknowledge your sobriety.

MantaLady, I’m glad you are here.

We’re putting the Christmas decorations up tomorrow at home. Debating whether to put the tree up. Ginger, one of my cats wrecked it last year, knocked everything she could off it and wouldn’t stop climbing all over it. If she was a dog she would’ve listened to me and behaved but as a cat, no chance!

I agree with Marty, I’m grateful you’re all here too.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You could try brushing some lemon juice on the lower branches Mags. Cats loathe citrus.

I'm really sorry about your co-worker STDragon. That must be a real shock.

Some of my own co-workers have betting driving me mad today, they range from barely sentient to inept.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
We’re putting the Christmas decorations up tomorrow at home. Debating whether to put the tree up. Ginger, one of my cats wrecked it last year, knocked everything she could off it and wouldn’t stop climbing all over it. If she was a dog she would’ve listened to me and behaved but as a cat, no chance!
Tell me about it!! This year is the first time my house feels decorated enough and nice enough to have a tree. I really really want one aswell...Max the kitten would love the tree too but he would savage it the minute my back was turned lol. I can just hear the crash, bang, wallop in the middle of the night as the tree gets knocked over with him launching himself at the baubles lol. x
Old 12-03-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Sad about your coworker STD.