Notices

Sober Weekend - Weekenders 08 - 11 November 2019

Old 11-07-2019, 12:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sober Weekend - Weekenders 08 - 11 November 2019

Welcome to the Weekenders

As I was growing up it seemed tradition or culture to go out partying and drinking at the weekends.

Which in turn, when wanting to stop drinking, the weekends could be the hardest.

So when we stop drinking we have time on our hands and maybe more money, making it tempting to indulge, so what can we do to start living our lives without the drink?

For all of us it will be mostly a different answer. Finding something that fills our time, now we have the whole weekend and hopefully weekdays too, to be present in.

Planning your weekend and spare time can give you an advantage over the AV (addictive voice) and help towards a sober weekend.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 11-07-2019, 12:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun?
Thanks Mags!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
JOBU110319Aa.JPG (83.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 11-07-2019, 01:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one lunar
Old 11-07-2019, 01:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

mags
D
Old 11-07-2019, 01:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. This will be my first weekend.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome anotherexcuse

D
Old 11-07-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome anotherexcuse
Old 11-07-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Error Oops
Old 11-07-2019, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. My first weekend too. Usually such a difficult time.determined to get through sober and healthy. Reading exercise binge watching box sets and taking care of myself.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

in!
Old 11-07-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags. I'm in.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hello AnotherExcuse and ReadyAtLast

We had a really good Ukestra practice last night. As most of you already know, I took up Ukulele some months after I quit. In fact I think I bought I my first one - a tenor - as a six month gift. Now I own four (I even gave one away and each one is increasingly more expensive). I belong to a club and I take twice yearly 10 week lesson sessions with many of the people in the club. It's become both a great way to fill my time and a new social outlet.

I've also, in the last year rekindled my interest in wood working. It's never been more than "something I'd like to do some day" but drinking always held me back. After dabbling in it a bit last winter, I built myself a workshop and bought some better tools so I can get a bit more serious with it this winter.

All this has been done with nothing more than my sober savings and gratitude to SR for the support and encouragement to get here.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Kaily, I read your posts in the last weekenders thread, I so sorry for what your therapist is putting you thru. In my corner of the hundred acre woods, we have Patient Advocates we can turn to for help with the system. Sounds like your therapist doesn't have the empathy for the job anymore. If it helps, please keep ranting here on SR....
Old 11-07-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Welcome anotherexcuse, and welcome back, RAL.

I am happy to report that I have a cooktop and oven again! I will try to post a few before and after kitchen pictures sometime today. I am quite pleased with how it looks so far. The only thing left in the kitchen now is the tile backsplash. I want it to be special and beautiful. I have chosen the vendor for the tile, and I need to measure carefully and get one of their designers to help me put together a plan. Then I need to find a very good installer. I would try it myself, but I have never tiled before and I don't want to mess up the crowning touch of my new kitchen. I would also like to replace light fixtures and get some nice under-cabinet lighting, but I cannot find fixtures I like. Well, ok, I CAN, but they are criminally expensive and I can't justify it.

This weekend will be spent working. I have to work Friday night and a good chunk of Saturday. Then I do really need to get a handle on my living space.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi ReadyAtLast, welcome to Weekenders

Marty, yaaay, you’re getting your kitchen back. You must be so relieved and happy. There are some gorgeous tiles out there and some, like you say are criminal costs. But do you have sales coming up, you may get a good deal and buy what you really like, if the price is right.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Thanks Mags! Congratulations on shotgun Lunar!

Welcome to Weekenders Anotherexcuse, ReadyAtLast!

I was laying awake in the early hours as habitual drunks are went to do and spotted a rare but trashed Lancia in the background of a late night news compound. I found it and bought it and let it deteriorate for another three years while I carried on destroying myself but when I did finally sober up I spent every spare hour restoring it at a place some way from where I live. This took me out of my familiar weekend drinking loop which had to be a good thing. Hard work.

https://youtu.be/-kjouOABSY0
Old 11-07-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi all new or new(ish) people! Welcome I like to think we have a pretty good time over here in the weekenders thread.

My time largely consists of work, exercising, friends, and enjoying time alone. I've found lots of new hobbies, like boxing and makeup (expensive, lmao) and things that I'd never try before because they cut into my drinking time, like the mentorship I'm doing with BBBS.

Figuring out how to be alone was the hardest, because I didn't think I could be alone with myself while sober. But with more and more sober time under my belt, I worked hard on myself and now I'm one of my favorite people :P

Of course there's always more work to be done, but finding comfort in being alone is really nice. Alone, but not lonely.

Anyway, my weekend consists of going to another craft show with my mom, in a cute little historic town right outside my city. I'm feeling suspiciously like I'm about to get sick, so I'm hoping that's not the case. Sleep, good food, and tea and hopefully I'll be okay.

MLD, glad the kitchen is coming together! It's funny because there's a guy in my Wednesday meeting who is redoing his bathroom, and he has many similar frustrations. I think it's just the nature of the remodeling beast.

Have a great thursday y'all! Might check in later.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

eugh, I keep looking at the clock thinking it's bedtime because it's been dark for so long, & realizing that it's only 6.15
Old 11-07-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Well I hope this worked. I created an album of before and after kitchen pictures. I think you can tell what's before and what's after.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...n-remodel.html
Old 11-07-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Jumping in for my first sober weekend in too long