Notices

Sober Weekend - Weekenders 08 - 11 November 2019

Old 11-10-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Bim - love the Great British Bakefoff too. Sad it's finished for this year but hoping for a Christmas special. Yes I think Shepherds Pie is made with cold leftover lamb (topped with mashed potato) whereas Cottage Pie is made with minced beef topped with mashed potato. And when we were kids we definitely loved corned beef hash which was tinned corned beef mixed with mashed potato. Those were the days! But then again we also very much favoured tinned luncheon meat so maybe we weren't exactly gourmands.

Thank you and anotherexcuse and Mags and Sao for your congratulations. It does feels good I must say.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:10 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rose335 View Post
Bim - love the Great British Bakefoff too. Sad it's finished for this year but hoping for a Christmas special. Yes I think Shepherds Pie is made with cold leftover lamb (topped with mashed potato) whereas Cottage Pie is made with minced beef topped with mashed potato. And when we were kids we definitely loved corned beef hash which was tinned corned beef mixed with mashed potato. Those were the days! But then again we also very much favoured tinned luncheon meat so maybe we weren't exactly gourmands.
Rose, anyone of those sound like a great meal on a cold fall day.
Sao, that looks like a really nice style of car.

Thank you all for helping me stay occupied and helping me get through a weekend sober. I really cannot remember the last time I was able to do that.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

You like weird back windows? Check out the AMC Pacer.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...5-amc-pacer-x/

Then check out this guy who put two of them together with a Toyota MR2 inside to create the fishbowl car....
https://speedycop.com/2019/07/26/amc-pacer-fishbowl-2/
Old 11-10-2019, 10:39 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
saoutchik

LOL! I did know about the AMC Pacer but that's the first time i've seen the Fishbowl. Maybe it will catch on.

Incidentally, I mentioned a car called the Iso Grifo which gives me an excuse to post a photo of one though sadly not my own photo. It is my favourite car of all time and probably the greatest car that no one has ever heard of. Designed all the way back in 1963 it could leave Ferrari's trailing in its wake and because it used an American V8 it was actually reliable, unlike Ferrari's of that era. I tried to buy one way back in the 1985 when they were dirt cheap but couldn't afford the £3,000 being asked. They are worth more than 200 times that now - aaargh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20191111_062731.jpg (62.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:06 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Very strange fishbowl car, the front and back look pretty much the same lol.

Morning Sober Weekenders
Old 11-11-2019, 12:23 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Dragon, the fishbowl car looks like the taxi on Mars in Total Recall. Or so I thought.

Bim, hope you’re soon feeling better. A nice beef stew and dumplings would be just the thing to help you feel better.

Rose when I used to make cottage pie I’d put cheese on the top and slices of tomatoes.

Vinnie 59 days

Going slightly crazy at the mo. I have allergic reactions to things and I’m itching like mad and trying not to scratch. I seem to have gotten immune to the meds they’ve given me. Grrrr.

Still raining here.

Catch you later x
Old 11-11-2019, 12:28 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Magsie

For Bim x

Old 11-11-2019, 02:01 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Monday is here and I am ready to go.

Sao, that IsoGrifo looks like a sweet car to drive. That fishbowl car, not so much.
Mags, that looks really good. I am hungry now.

I hope that everyone's week starts out well.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:50 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thank you Mags, I still don't feel like cooking and cleaning up so I've been eating simple food. That looks delicious.

Anotherexcuse, stick with us. Congrats on that Weekend #1 sober. I hope you keep stringing them together. It's worth it.

Dragon, those Pacers were trying to be Interceptors. I thought of them yesterday when we were talking about the Interceptors.

Sao, isn't that George Clooney in the background with the Iso Grifo? JK, it looks like Lake Como, is all - which would make sense; if you have more money than you know what to do with you might be at Lake Como with your Iso Grifo. Pretty iconic image.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

My company is closed today so going to watch the Remembrance Day ceremonies on TV this morning and have a lazy day.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Veteran's Day, if any of you out there reading are also vets. I got up and came to work this morning, all the time thinking I really ought to get a paid day off today. 11 years in the Army Reserves. Sadly, my place of work does not close for Veteran's Day and I have a lot to do today.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Aw, I say take the day off with pay, MLD.

There. That should do it because I always get what I want.

Thank you for your service.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

But hey - in honor of Veteran's Day, I have just agreed to serve as the Assistant Finance Officer of my American Legion post. Nice to be asked.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Sao, isn't that George Clooney in the background with the Iso Grifo? JK, it looks like Lake Como, is all - which would make sense; if you have more money than you know what to do with you might be at Lake Como with your Iso Grifo. Pretty iconic image.
LOL! Well spotted bim, it is very likely Lake Como in the background as they were built in Bresso which is only a few miles/kilometres south of the Lake. If I had the money I would definitely swan about in a Grifo around the Italian lakes. Btw Grifo is Italian for Griffin - a mythical creature that eats horses, the prancing horse being the logo of Ferrari. An obvious bit of symbolism.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:35 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Classic cars, saoutchik
Old 11-11-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks Caramel! Good to see you in Weekenders again.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I might have to make some shepherd's pie tonight. Or cottage pie. Whichever is with beef. I have some sirloin steak thawing. That would make a lovely pie.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Magsie

That’ll be the cottage pie, Marty, enjoy. sorry you couldn’t get the day off for Veteran’s day. You deserved to have it off...Bim said and I agree.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I ate a Ploughman's Lunch the other day.

He wasn't happy.

https://youtu.be/eu0KsZ_MVBc
Old 11-11-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Enjoy the shepards/cottage pie

I was to go to the gym tonight but I backed out at the last minute. I'll go tomorrow for sure.

I finally got my netbook and the wifi is working in the house so I might be posting just a little bit more.

Thanks for everything,
Take care
Tetra