Notices

Sober Weekend - Weekenders 08 - 11 November 2019

Old 11-08-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Well I hope this worked. I created an album of before and after kitchen pictures. I think you can tell what's before and what's after.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...n-remodel.html
Love the kitchen, new door, new floor, I like what you did with the fridge, turning the old space into a pantry. One can never have enough cupboard space!
Old 11-08-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Dragon -
That's my favorite part - moving the refrigerator and using that space for a pantry. It's a better use of that empty space where I had the cart and ratty shelves. The other thing I did that those pictures don't show is that I widened the doorway between the kitchen and dining room, and the wood flooring goes into the dining room. There used to be a regular 3-foot-wide opening, and carpeting in the dining room. So the whole space looks bigger and more open. Especially without all the clutter. I'm determined to keep things tidy - I have more storage space now, and I got rid of a lot of stuff when I emptied the kitchen. I still have more than I really want to put back in, but I have a spare room in my lower level that I'm going to put a cabinet into, to hold some of the the not-often-used kitchen stuff that I still need, but do not need to have in the kitchen.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
saoutchik

About to leave from work and it's dark already. Next week it will be dark on my way in to work too. Maybe I ought to think about some vitamin D tablets...

Glad the people seem nice at Rehab VMan, I think it's great what you're doing.

A co-worker had to go to Accident and Emergency after somehow managing to put a cap rivet in her own hand. It sounded really painful but I understand she was really lucky in as much as there is no permanent damage.

As an alcoholic I used to long for the weekend as it gave me two and a half days of unfettered drinking. I shudder at the thought of the damage I did to myself and the amount of my life I wasted-being wasted. I'm really glad to have my weekends back.

https://youtu.be/AkGZmmrLFAU
Old 11-08-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Tiring process Mags
Welcome newies
Good to hear from you VM
Old 11-08-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Saturday morning and the sun's up. My mind is racing, it used to be my favorite drink time. I plan on giving my vege garden as much of my attention as I can today. Hopefully we can grow together.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello weekender friends - I'm in!

Welcome AnotherExcuse, ReadyAtLast and FinalCall. First sober weekends are tough so do stick with us... Well done Rose and good to hear from you Vinny. Great kitchen MLD...

Thanks Mags for the thread. I have so much to do at the weekend now that I'm not drinking. My interest in all things creative has been rekindled and this evening has been spent writing software and doing some graphic design for a new project. It has been great to dust off my Photoshop skills that I left behind so many years ago...

Anyway. To bed. Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the welcomes. This weekend is starting out quite positive. I dropped my wife and her friend off at the bar. They have a DD so I won't be going back out.
Today I found out that I will be working OT Saturday. Another opportunity to avoid temptation.

I apologize for not naming everyone individually. This is a really popular thread. It is nice to see so much energy and support.

Time to wind down as 4 am seems to arrive quickly.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

It’s a cold dark Saturday morning at the moment.

But I don’t mind really, I’m awake and sober and never tire of no hangovers any more, worse so at weekends when I had more spare time.

A good sober weekend sounds like a good plan.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:23 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just Checking in and reading all your posts and loving the pics.

Andy, the dog jumping into the leaves...THANK YOU :-) absolutely made my day

xxx

love to you all.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:28 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good luck with the veg garden Finalcall. Nice idea, growing together. Feed the roots and the rest will follow.

Glad you have weekend plans Anotherexcuse, even if it is work. Anything to avoid that temptation.

Lovely new kitchen MLD.

Foggy here, bit like my brain! Awful floods in other parts of the Country, so devastating.

Feeling like this this week.

Have a good sober Saturday.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Sunny here this morning Don't know how long it'll last but it's a nice start to the day.

Been feeling quite down the last few days. And my body seems to have gone on autopilot. While I'm dropping off to sleep I start planning tomorrows trip to the shops and buying wine. Then I wake a bit and realise what I'm doing. Fortunately, while I'm awake there's no temptation of going for wine. There's no way I'm going to start that again. I think it's just an automatic thought and feeling that happens when my body feels sufficiently recovered from the last binge and I'm worrying over everything and generally feeling awful about all sorts of things.

Anyway, this time I'm not drinking and thank goodness for SR. I've been doing some chores, just going through things slowly as I get tired so easily and quickly and still need lots of rest. I'm trying to be easy and kind to myself and not let the negative thoughts and guilt creep in too much. Hopefully this depression will lift soon.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Magsie

It’s not a good time of year here in the U.K. the mornings and evenings are darker, longer. It’s cold and miserable and I think we can get into the doldrums, feeling listless, depressed and sluggish even.

I know I hate the dark mornings and when I was working, coming home in the dark too was so miserable.

I can cheer myself up with food, stew and dumplings, shepherds pie, toad in the hole, mashed potatoes. All stodgy winter foods to keep you warm this winter. Not forgetting jam rolypoly with custard.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Goodnight all.
looking forward to a hangover free sunday
Old 11-09-2019, 02:01 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders. My part of London is living up to its Dickensian stereotype this morning in as much as it is buried under a blanket of dense fog. Jack the Ripper would be delighted. Other than a bit of shopping I have no real plans for today. My last two weekends were spent insulating a floor so I just wanted to chill this week. I had breakfast at a place that is fittingly called The Breakfast Club. We had to queue for a few minutes to get in which is a good thing as it shows how popular it is.

Saturday mornings without a hangover are superb. They are like the reward for all the early struggles.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:46 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

All those foods Mags listed...please to send some. I don't know what any of them are but I hope you'll let me stay in your UK thread.

It was really foggy yesterday here. I like the fog but it certainly made for a slow commute.

Neti pot has let me down. Full on head cold. I need chicken soup and I have everything to make it in the pantry, so that will be my one and only project. Maybe. At this point it seems an insurmountable task.

At least it is made infinitely better by no hangover.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

2 attempt this month

This is my 2nd Saturday morning waking up sober in Nov. I attempted the first weekend of the month and did not make it thru Saturday evening before I started again. I drank all week. Yesterday was day 1 for me. I will be working around the house most of the day. I am getting new furniture. We purchased a new light fixture for the dining area that needs to be installed. I need to work in the yard to remove 4 bushes. So plenty to keepmebusy. I feel wonder this morning. Love waking up sober. I am so happy to be here. Sober. Stay strong my friends. Have a great day.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Keep busy TravelBug, and when your not, sleep!
Old 11-09-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders travelling! It is hard to begin with but it will get easier.

bim, you've not heard of Toad in the Hole? Maybe there is a gap in the market you could fill. It might take Seattle by storm.

https://youtu.be/mMfxI3r_LyA
Old 11-09-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Magsie

travelbug, all the best for a sober weekend.

Bim, I hope your feeling ok and your cold goes quickly....I’ll get some pictures together of our stodgy wintery U.K. meals. I’m sure you’d enjoy them.

Strictly will be on tv soon. Then it’s Blackpool tower they go off to next week.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, just wrote a long post, I had something to say to everybody and then talked about my day.
Well, I'm not starting all over again. Good to see lots of posts and thanks for being here everyone