Notices

Help starting

Old 04-28-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Re: Help starting

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Harv - It's so good to have you with us. You found an encouraging, non-judgmental place.

I was at the same stage as you when I found SR. I'd been drinking for many years & my consumption was terrifying. My tolerance incredible. I could walk & talk coherently after 30 beers. (I'm just a small woman). You say maybe a scare is needed to wake you up. That's what I needed - and I got it. 2 dui's and a ruined life - 'round the clock drinking in the end. If it was out of my system for even a couple hours I shook & got sick. It was a nightmare. I'm so thankful to be free of it. I'm glad you're taking a hard look at what it's doing to your life.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you finally get sober?
Old 04-28-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Re: Help starting

Originally Posted by HarvW View Post
I’m good at it drunk but man, it’s a lot easier sober.
ÂÂÂÂ
As a 59 year old trust me when I say it will get more difficult as you age.ÂÂÂÂ Sometimes it's more difficult to quit drinking when things go down hill slowly.ÂÂÂÂ May I suggest that you re-read the following older posts?
Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Don’t worry, if you continue to drink long enough you’ll get the scare you’re looking for. That is guaranteed.

Sadly, if you’re like me, it will take just that. Some kind of tragedy. We are a hard headed bunch. I envy those who wisen up before the trouble starts. Will you be one of those people?
ÂÂÂÂ
Originally Posted by Ringside View Post
Little by little, alcohol took more and more than it gave. It still gave some even at the end, and I think it is ok to acknowledge that, but it took so much more. I let it progress along that continuum longer than I should have, though shorter than some, but when it finally tipped the scales too much - I was out. Everyone has a different threshold...good luck to you, whatever you decide.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Did the “I’ll quit Monday “ thing thus weekend. Didn’t happen of course. I was on my eighth beer just after 12 noon. I have a kind of hide-out I can go to and drink alone and do business on the phone. Almost always make at least one stupid decision related to work. Then I drive my drunk ass home like an idiot. I can’t imagine the embarrassment I’d feel if I got a dui on a Monday at four pm. Obviously I shouldn’t d and d anytime and I rarely do after dark but somehow my drunk butt seems to think if it’s normal working hours I won’t get caught. I actually did change a tire on the highway once after like twelve beers. And a cop helped me. Stupid. I am so grateful nothing worse has happened and I know I must stop. I’m going to keep posting here today. I’ve dumped the beer I didn’t finish last night. I gotta do this.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you drinking daily? If you are, seek medical help for a proper detox as this can be lethal.
If you aren't drinking daily, you have to figure out things to occupy your time with so you don't drink. You can do it, it takes a lot of willpower. Maybe find a program of recovery and work it like it's life or death!
Some programs of recovery include: Women/Men for Sobriety, Life Ring, SOS, AVRT, SMART, AA, Sober Recovery (here).
You can do this!
Old 05-05-2020, 05:02 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey Harv

Hiding booze and day drinking are huge red flags. I hid so many bottles of vodka I forgot where I put them all.....which led to my undoing.

You gotta listen to that voice in your head that says it’s time to STOP. You know the one I’m talking about.

Make a commitment to yourself to go to be sober tonight. Then do it again tomorrow.

And I agree that you should look into detox options........
Old 05-05-2020, 05:08 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Harv
Sounds like things are barely manageable.
Got any ideas yet on how you'll stay sober?
D
Old 05-05-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HarvW View Post
I love being buzzed. But I really loved the way I felt those two plus months.

I don't think you love being buzzed. It's not THAT amazing (and this is coming from a former alcoholic ). Likely, you love having your addiction satisfied, like a person in a desert that's been given a tall glass of ice water.
Harv, you know you want this. You wouldn't be here if you didn't want this. You want this, and you can do this. You've proven that. Throw EVERYTHING into doing this. Living life sober. I know you're thinking, but HOW?!? That it's so sad to never be able to drink again. That it's not fair. That it's too hard. That it isn't worth it. That it might affect your marriage. And on and on and on.
Stop thinking of reasons to to keep drinking, which is what all of that worrying is really about. Instead, think back to when you were a kid, I mean way before all your drinking started. Think of a day you had that was just terrific. Little League or 4th grade graduation or whatever. Now, you tell me, would that kid have had a better day if he had had 20 beers throughout the day? HELL NO. And you don't need those beers either. Your body does not need beer to enjoy life. Those childhood days prove that.
Your alcoholic brain is making you think you need beer, but you don't. Little Harv never had it and he got by just fine. In fact, think of sweet little Harv. Wouldn't it crush you if the adult you could have learned he grew up dependent on alcohol, like some kind of ghost of Christmas Future? Little Harv deserves better. Give it to him.
When you quit, it feels like you lost a limb. It is BIZARRE. That bizarre feeling does go away. It really does. You can do this. I know. I just posted in Newcomers as today is my 365 day. So trust me...I'm incredibly wise and experienced.