Notices

Day 3 is rough!

Old 06-07-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 is rough!

Hello. I'm working on making it through day 3 (one of many) and it's rough. I've been a private, daily heavy drinker for 10 years and it's time to stop for good.

Like most have said--no sleep, dizzy, heart racing, no energy, brain fog-- I'm a mess. Today is rough, especially knowing I can't just lay around over the weekend to rest.

I've had rough times stopping in the past, but usually I'm feeling much better by day three--i really did myself in this time.

I hope everyone has a good day!
Old 06-07-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on Day 3 nadt. It should get better pretty soon although the difficulty in sleeping often persists. One thing though, I did not have any racing heart moments. I'm not sure if that is common or not - I did not get them but if it persists I would be inclined to see a doctor just to be on the safe side. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you shared this, nadt! Day 4 for me and depression floored me as soon as got to work. I knew I was a little off center when the AA meeting ran over 2 minutes this morning and I noticed myself getting more irritated than that warranted. But most of the day I had to consciously make myself move, and I'm usually running smooth on "autopilot!"

I'm wondering if this is a sign that the healing is going deeper this time. Like you, I usually bounce back pretty good by Day 3, and I don't think I'm getting beat on has hard as you are, but I logged on to post on just this very topic now.

Good luck and hope this passes (us both! )
Old 06-07-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for sharing. As the evening wears on it's even harder, so I decided to log back on.

Keep wanting to reach for a drink now knowing it will (temporarily) go away.

Just make it through the day. Good luck
Old 06-07-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Oh sweety I cant stand that feeling, thats why im done. A guy in a mtg said something about “when youre done getting your ass kicked” I completely agreed. You can do this *hugs*
Old 06-07-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Someone told me the Enemy throws his strongest attacks at us just when we're about to win. I can just imagine him laughing his ass off as we're just about to call it a day, succumb to temptation, only get to enjoy the first few sips till we realize, "Dammit...this is nothing new!!!" And then log on tomorrow (God willing) to rub our resolve in our faces (this is helping me be accountable too!)
Old 06-07-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first few days of detox can be rough, but if you never drink again, you'll never have to feel this badly again. Waking up feeling good never gets old.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

nadt...your working? OMG.....that is horrible....and I really feel for you because there is NO WAY I could have worked for the first 5 days of my sobriety this time.

I really hope you are able to push thru this...you will feel so much better pretty soon....drink lots of fluids...for real....(get some Pedilyte) you will be amazed how quickly you feel better....Dehydration is responsible for a high percentage of our "withdrawal" symptoms.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Missy2... no, I didn't go to work.... there's no way I could have. I was just working on making through my day... made it!

Now, since I can't sleep, it's time to make it through the night.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m back on Day 1, but your experience sounds like a real nightmare. You must be an absolute warrior!
When I’ve gone through rough times with physical pain - I always try to “embrace the suck”. You’re in the ring and you’re taking punishment, but your addiction is the one whose really getting hurt.

Keep fighting my friend!
Old 06-08-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Trying to get through day 4

I was hoping to feel better today... not yet. Still fighting through withdrawals. The good news is the thought of alcohol makes me nauseous. The bad news is I keep considering it anyway, so that I'll "feel better"

I will make it through the day. Good luck to everyone and thank you for your encouragent.....I need it.

Last edited by nadt; 06-08-2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-08-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi, nadt. As others have said, things will ease up & you'll begin to feel so much better. The misery is only temporary. I went for many walks to help with the jitters. You're doing a great thing for yourself - be proud. Better days lie ahead, & you'll be free.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi, nadt. As others have said, things will ease up & you'll begin to feel so much better. The misery is only temporary. I went for many walks to help with the jitters. You're doing a great thing for yourself - be proud. Better days lie ahead, & you'll be free.
Thank you for your encouragement Hevyn! So far, I haven't been able to do much. I'm keeping an eye on my blood pressure, and it gets high when I'm active right now. I've been trying to let myself feel pleased with ittle accomplishments-- like doing a load of laundry. Then, I have to rest.

Looking forward to feeling better in the days ahead. I appreciate the support!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nadt View Post
Thank you for your encouragement Hevyn! So far, I haven't been able to do much. I'm keeping an eye on my blood pressure, and it gets high when I'm active right now. I've been trying to let myself feel pleased with ittle accomplishments-- like doing a load of laundry. Then, I have to rest.

Looking forward to feeling better in the days ahead. I appreciate the support!
Keep going nadt...don't quit yet...I almost drank on Day 2 because of the withdrawals...they are so unbearable....they really, really are....and I wish you had something for sleep....like Trazadone? Gabapentin? Have you had any benzos to make it thru?

I wouldn't have made it without all 3 of these medications...If you have none of them...get some Melatonin....Can you take Melatonin?

I just hope you don't give up.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're being sensible & taking good care of yourself, nadt. Yes, doing little things is a big deal in these early days - nice work.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
Keep going nadt...don't quit yet...I almost drank on Day 2 because of the withdrawals...they are so unbearable....they really, really are....and I wish you had something for sleep....like Trazadone? Gabapentin? Have you had any benzos to make it thru?

I wouldn't have made it without all 3 of these medications...If you have none of them...get some Melatonin....Can you take Melatonin?

I just hope you don't give up.
I've still got this! Thanks, Missy. (I just ate some watermelon!
I do have melatonin and have been taking it, but not the other meds. I do take blood pressure medicine, but I was taking those before detox.

I hope you are doing well. I know your day was rough too.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nadt View Post
I've still got this! Thanks, Missy. (I just ate some watermelon!
I do have melatonin and have been taking it, but not the other meds. I do take blood pressure medicine, but I was taking those before detox.

I hope you are doing well. I know your day was rough too.
I'm glad you have the Melatonin....it really does help a little bit...
If the Watermelon doesn't have you up peeing all night....lol.

Blood pressure med can be a help as well.

You really HAVE This.....you do....I feel like Day 5 should be much better and drink enough fluid...if you haven't drank enough or still feel dehydrated...go get some Pedilyte....I'm telling you Pedilyte....really, really helps.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
I'm glad you have the Melatonin....it really does help a little bit...
If the Watermelon doesn't have you up peeing all night....lol.

Blood pressure med can be a help as well.

You really HAVE This.....you do....I feel like Day 5 should be much better and drink enough fluid...if you haven't drank enough or still feel dehydrated...go get some Pedilyte....I'm telling you Pedilyte....really, really helps.
You mentioned pedialyte in one of your posts that I read. I did pick some up. I need to get some more. Thanks for the suggestion.

thank you so much for your support!
Old 06-08-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

And thank you for your support....Yea..one of my friends made fun of me for drinking the Pedilyte....but they are not alcoholic..the first bottle I drank....I could feel my sinus' filling back up with fluid....my stomach started to feel "hungry".

Not to be gross but my drinking gave me diarreha ..and that is another sign of dehydration....it stopped that as well......I introduced my sister to it because she is an alcoholic and she was feeling horrible and she has MS...she loves it also.

I wouldn't drink it daily but I drank it for the first 4 days of my detox...and I know it helped me...
Old 06-08-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kevinmalone View Post
I’m back on Day 1, but your experience sounds like a real nightmare. You must be an absolute warrior!
When I’ve gone through rough times with physical pain - I always try to “embrace the suck”. You’re in the ring and you’re taking punishment, but your addiction is the one whose really getting hurt.

Keep fighting my friend!
You keep fighting also Kevin!