Notices

St Patricks Weekender Thread 15-18 March 2019

Old 03-15-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm now in the bliss of the YouTube Van Morrison playlist.

So excellent.

MLD, please send all chili leftovers.

Now I have to have chili. That's how that works.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Magsie

MLD, save some chilli for me too, please sounds like a hectic weekend for you!
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the Weekender thread johnnyt!

Good to see you kinzoku.

Better week for me personally at work although the boss was musing about possibly going to a 4 day week if things don't pick up which would be a concern to some a lot more than it would me.

This is not particularly St Patrick'y - this is the Green Malanishi. The green refers to money I believe (and it was written by Peter Green, one of us)

Old 03-15-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Last year on St Paddy's day I decided to steam clean my whole office. This year I'm thinking about cleaning my shower.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!! And count me in for a sober weekend.

Making plans to structure my weekend and will replace old routines with new routines especially during the “Happy Hour” which is my trigger even if I’m not in the mood to drink. It’s definitely just plain old habit and I’ve been having a diet sprite in place of drink and so far I get the same familiarity of my old routine and don’t miss the booze. Not sure if I’m able to do this because I’m on Naltrexone or if it’s all the effects of intense rehab, IOP, CBT therapy, Cymbalta, AA daily, new recovery friends check in daily, SR daily,
yoga, meditation, eating good, walking, reading (haven’t done any of this in years), and so much more;
but I’ll take whatever positive effects come my way!

Day 77 for me😄

Wishing everyone one a contented sober weekend!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I hope this message finds you all well.

I myself have a spring in my step and a glow in my heart today.

I think that the last time I posted here I mentioned something about an interview for a promotion of sorts at work. My manager had told me that I would not get the first offer but something would open up down the line.

My manager was incorrect.

I had the interview last Monday. Yesterday I found out that out of 14 applicants, I came first out of 14 and the job is all mine if I want. To say I’m pretty pleased with myself is an understatement, although my parents have told me not to get overly confident as no one likes bragging, but I have not been bragging, people asked me what I got and I told them.

Anyway my manager told me today that I did do well, she said “you did an excellent interview and your application form was a credit to you”. She said she might leave me in my current job as my consultant likes me apparently and she will just fill out the paperwork so I get the promotion and the extra €€€€.

There is loads more I could write but I cannot think of it now. I hope you are all keeping well. I’ll write more later
Old 03-15-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

good to hear from you Tetra. glad that things are going well for you. I don't think there's anything wrong is being proud of ourselves when we've worked hard for something, so good on you.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Feenomenal Friday!

Yippee Skippy, the flighty Thermonuclear Furnace - a.k.a. The Sun - has reappeared in the Sky today after a long absence [by Colorado standards]. Sunrise today below. ~1 Week of Sun now on tap, so we easily-entertained types are mighty serene right now. Superb Dark Skies before Dawn today in bracing 18 F [-8 C] degree temps.

My latest challenge here in Redneck Nation was a sporadically-cranky Gate that wasn't opening well. After a bit of Deduction 101 w/Voltmeter in hand, I figgered the Gate Opener Battery wasn't getting fully charged in cloudy, Winter Sun. So, I fabricated a new Metal Support, and strapped on a 2x larger Solar Panel I had laying around. Powered Gate Operation is back to full automatic mode now; a big deal in Mud Season 'round here. The Mud will be dried by the Weekend, and Vehicle washing can resume.

Earlier, after some off-putting Messages on line - 'Server Is Down For Maintenance' - I scored 4 excellent Seats at Red Rocks by Denver next August to see Joe Bonamassa. A Venue built in the '30s by the WPA [Works Project Administration] to put Folks to work during The Great Depression. A Show and Venue on MesaMate's Bucket List, so I'm all Golden. At least until the Weekend. Her Home State Michigan Team is on the Tube now playing College Basketball against the detested Ohio State. When her Dad would drive the Family down to Ohio for Football Games, he wouldn't even stop the Car for the Kids to pee. Didn't want to spend any more time in Ohio than absolutely necessary! So, it's just another fine, Sober Day 'round here. Despite the Jockette adjacent spewing obscenities at the TV. Much like the Irish Pubs I've been in, sans the Black & Tans!

~ 'Tiger In Your Tank' ~ Joe Bonamassa @ Red Rocks ~

I saw Joni Mitchell, and others, at the famed Troubadour in El Lay in Seats where our Knees touched the small Stage. Superb memories circa 1973. See some assorted Musician and Club Pix here. Click on about an Image for a back-story...

~ Troubadour Club Pix ~

Superb Beach Pic, Willow! Many tnx...

Old 03-15-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mr

Pretty pup Purps.
Congrats on 77 days Lena.
Welcome to the newcomers.
Van the man and Fleetwood Mac and Joe excellent choices to kick off the weekend..
Nice to see you Tetra, it's been a while.
Salutations to all the weekenders.
Well time to chill out.
Later folks
Old 03-15-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Mr

If you're visiting the weekender or just a guest browsing for the first time come join us. It's a great group of people all committed to getting through the weekend and the week sober and happy...
Vin.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the Weekenders thread Lena and congratulations on 77days.

Good to see you Tetra and well done on getting that promotion!

During my last few years of drinking alcoholically Friday night was not hugely different than other days of the week - I drunk just as much most weekdays. Before those days though I was a weekend warrior who really looked forward to the "fun" of a Friday night which ALWAYS meant excess booze. The thing is, even then it was only really enjoyable for a couple of hours before the evening became a blur and of course that would be followed by juvenile behaviour and a ruined Saturday daytime. The only reason I can think of for doing that is because alcohol already had its hooks in me then.

Don't waste years of your life using alcohol, it's the worst friend ever.

OK, rant over. I'm off to play indoor Crazy Golf.

FORE!!!....
Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

May I join another weekender?

Haven't posted for a while but still sober!

​​​​​Life is pretty good and I'm taking one day at a time. Whacking the AV with a big hammer!

Happy weekend everyone.

CC
Old 03-15-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Tetra!

Yep, Vinny, count me in for a sober weekend.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
Me, sparkling water, netflix, takeout, SR. Sounds like a winning Friday night! I'll be there.
This is exactly what I'm doing--except instead of take out I just put a lovely pot roast in the oven to braise.

Well done on the promotion Tetra--
Old 03-15-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

what's up yall. Just getting a jump on the weekend. My shower needs serious scrubbing!
Old 03-15-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi everyone I have some work to do this weekend so it will be quite busy.

I hear you MLD. My partner drinks too, varying amounts. He stopped on Jan 1st as well. He didn’t have any for January or February but has started having one or two beers on the weekends again the last couple of weeks. He used to drink a lot. WE used to drink a lot together. He’s been drinking less since I stopped and he’s supportive of my decisions. Luckily I don’t like beer so am never tempted to have one. Thank goodness he’s not into wine, that would be a lot harder to resist! Although I’ve been around wine drinking and managed to not drink. For 10 months now

The AV has been a sneaky voice in my ear the last few days trying to convince me I’m ok now and can drink safely again, but I’m managing to keep it at bay. I re-read my withdrawal diary again last night as a reminder of the awful headaches, racing heart, anxiety and despairing bleak feelings during each withdrawal attempt over several weeks of stopping on many Mondays in those early failed attempts at stopping. I don’t want to go back there. The AV telling me “but it’s different now, you could drink now without that” is complete bulls##t. The AV is conniving and a liar and we just need to keep reminding ourselves of that.

Drinking is never a good idea. At all. So it’s a sober St Patrick’s Weekend for me (the first in 30+ years for me) but we’ve got this! Together we can do it
Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

it seems like a while since we had any cat gif's, so here you go:

Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Hi everyone I have some work to do this weekend so it will be quite busy.

I hear you MLD. My partner drinks too, varying amounts. He stopped on Jan 1st as well. He didn’t have any for January or February but has started having one or two beers on the weekends again the last couple of weeks. He used to drink a lot. WE used to drink a lot together. He’s been drinking less since I stopped and he’s supportive of my decisions. Luckily I don’t like beer so am never tempted to have one. Thank goodness he’s not into wine, that would be a lot harder to resist! Although I’ve been around wine drinking and managed to not drink. For 10 months now

The AV has been a sneaky voice in my ear the last few days trying to convince me I’m ok now and can drink safely again, but I’m managing to keep it at bay. I re-read my withdrawal diary again last night as a reminder of the awful headaches, racing heart, anxiety and despairing bleak feelings during each withdrawal attempt over several weeks of stopping on many Mondays in those early failed attempts at stopping. I don’t want to go back there. The AV telling me “but it’s different now, you could drink now without that” is complete bulls##t. The AV is conniving and a liar and we just need to keep reminding ourselves of that.

Drinking is never a good idea. At all. So it’s a sober St Patrick’s Weekend for me (the first in 30+ years for me) but we’ve got this! Together we can do it
Thank you for this (can’t find the thank you button on my phone).
Old 03-15-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome back, carpetcleaner.

Willow, you "managing" to shut down that AV or are you shutting it down like a BOSS?

I thought so.

Glad I don't have a drinking BF. Don't think I could deal with it at this point in my life.

Andy, you find the best gifs. Do you have a secret stash, or are you trolling icanhascheezeburgers?

I'm in for the night, it's just after 6PM on Friday for me. All my condo neighbors are out for their Fridays. Fine with me, I'll just hold down the fort. I just had dinner and changed into night clothes, and I'm kind of binge watching NCIS.

Everyone remember how much better Sober-Not-Hungover Saturday morning is.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I’m in for a sober St. P weekend!!!