Notices

Weekender Thread 8-11 March 2019

Old 03-10-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you, Vinny)
Old 03-10-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Have a good Sunday Weekenders!
Old 03-10-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

MB, I hope it's not something that is meant to be worn every day like a ring or a watch or necklace. I laughed at your "rebranding" comment.

I say we do away with gift-giving all together. Oh, wait. I already did that! No family or dating.

I agree, at least you didn't react in a selfish way, you just came and told us. I hope it doesn't come up again. If it's something to be worn, I just used to wear it a couple times when he was around and then shove it in a drawer.

When I was younger I once verbalized my distaste. Yeah, that was classy.

I'm sure every gift I ever gave was perfect.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Bim.

Thank you for your post - great as always.

Yes, it's something to be worn, but not every day)
Old 03-10-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Mr

Terrible tragedy in Ethiopia.
RIP victims of the crash.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

MB ~

After 42 Years of Marriage, there's just a *few* indelible memories. One goes back to the first Birthday Gift I gave MesaMate.

Being poor Hippies, we didn't have much of anything. And, she wanted to bake more. She said she would really like a Food Processor. So, as a B Day Gift, Pragmatic Mon, here, went out and bought her a nice Food Processor. Welp, I might as well have bought her a new String Trimmer for Weeds around the Yard. Being Male and I all, it took me a while to get the whole Gift Giving Gig right. Which, I now do with Laser-like accuracy. Buff Jockette MesaMate didn't like the color pink. Fo evah. It symbolized weakness. Traditional Female Roles. Subordinate character. Then, she decided she looked good in pink. I just stayed out of it. So, things can change, eh?

I suspect that 'Hell Clueless' really did intend to get you something you'd like, and appreciate. And, missed the mark. Memorably. As I like to say about myself: 'Why do something half-azzed when you could do it full-azzed'? He bought from the Male Perspective. Females evaluate such choices from the Female Perspective. Projecting Female Perspective re: the dynamics of a Gift choice onto Males is a colossal waste of time. Not cuz we're all stupid. We're simply not Females. I learned a similar lesson in lots of Int'l Business Travel. The same 'solution' that might work in America doesn't necessarily come across as 'good' in an Asian Culture. There's other Variables at play; many of which I had to guess at, and/or stumble towards learning.

It's a Numbers Game. We Males don't get it right 100% of the time. We simply get it right more of the time, over time...

~ 'Something To Talk About' ~ Bonnie Raitt ~
Old 03-10-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

the pink thing? That's so me.

I like how I look in pink, but don't you buy it for me.

When I was 19 I had a cutey boyfriend. The kind all the girls wanted and flirted with. I decided I would dress him - you know, like a big live Ken doll. I bought him the clothes I liked. I'm not sure how he felt about that. I bought a lot of clothes, too - not just a shirt...ten shirts. Ha. He was back in tee shirts tout de suite. Poor guy.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I'm guessing it's not boxing gloves. Is it something he's going to expect you wear or was he maybe 'testing the waters'?
Old 03-10-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Magsie

Midnight, my husband darent risk buying any clothes for me, he’d get it wrong 99% of the time. So he always asks me what I want, the last few years it’s been a greenhouse, a fence, french doors.

Then I get my own ‘stuff’.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

at least he didn't buy you an iron or something MB

I woke up at 3:30 this morning & couldn't get back to sleep, so now it's 14:00 here & I feel like it should be nearly bedtime. it's still better than a hangover, assorted mystery bruises & having no recollection of last night though.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Remember the eagle nest in Florida?

Those fuzzy little tennis ball sized chicks born on Christmas are now ready to fledge. It could be any minute or a few more days. They could fly now - they just don't know it. They really really want to:

SWF Eagle Cam Live

*edit. Hm, the #1 camera seems to be buffering/offline. Oh well.

Video compilation from their spectacular flights around the nest tree yesterday:

Old 03-10-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Sunday morning in New England and DST which means it will be lighter at nighttime, which means I will be more inclined to go to AA meetings during the
6:00-7:00 hours! I am so psyched because there are more meeting times and locations to choose from: I don’t usually like to go out when it starts to get dark so I end up scrambling after work to go to an early meeting (or on my lunch) and I find the later meetings to be a bit more diverse and dynamic. Just my experience in my neck of the woods.

Wishing everyone a happy, peaceful, productive and sober Sunday....
Old 03-10-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Mesa - Wow. Thank you a lot for taking time to write this post. Food processor, you say... Yeah, we sure want it, but not as a Bday present)

Dragon - If it were boxing gloves I would get another reaction. I think he expects me to wear this. Ok, I am going to unveil the horrible secret. It's a blanket size scarf, 100% wool. What's wrong, you may ask? The print. I can't possibly imagine putting it on me. Which is such a shame. Nice wool - atrocious print.

Andy - He knows better than giving me an iron. My right hand is heavy enough, if equipped with an iron...

Bim - "They could fly now, they just don't know it". I feel like this phrase wasn't intended just for little eagles, no?

Lena - Too much of a choice always gives me panic. They say that 3 options is a happy medium.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:27 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Oh! A scarf is easy. Does it have little bunnies on it?

"Forget" it when you go to a hockey game. At least it's something that you can wear once and never again.

I'll be over here in the handbasket...
Old 03-10-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Bim))))

Not bunnies, something worse.

And even worse - it has fringe. So I look like a table covered with tablecloth and all set for 5 o'clock tea)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Erg. Kind of a rough day.

I wasn’t sleeping well Friday, so last night I took a benadryl to help me sleep and (hopefully) clear this sinus headache. Abrupt weather changes always sludge up my system.

But today I literally feel like I have a drinking hangover (I didn’t have a drop of alcohol). But I have similar anxiety, brain fog, headache and tiredness.

It could easily be that I’m just not feeling great, and my wife said I need to just learn that not feeling 100 percent is totally normal. Where my normal goto would be to suppress those symptoms with beer or suggest we all go to “brunch” where I could get a “socially-acceptable” midday Bloody Mary, instead I’ve been having coffee and vaping nicotine (which probably isn’t helping, either).

Maybe the real answer is that, today, there’s no substance that is going to clear my headache and make me “feel better.” I just have to make peace with not being 100 percent all the time.

And no, I’m not going to drink . Actually I don’t even feel tempted to drink.

I just fed my son a bottle and cleaned the apartment (I’ve become rather obsessive about keeping this place gorgeous the last 40 days of sobriety). He’s starting to smile more and more as he approaches the 3 month mark . I may also go for a run to clear my head.

Maybe it is a good day .
Old 03-10-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Evoo, I can relate to the urge to immediately fix not feeling 100%. Like once I quit alcohol I should always feel top notch and if not than my sobriety is "not working right".

Good for you to clean the apartment. I couldn't develop this obsession to save my life)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Magsie

Midnight, Columbo’s Wife bought him a new raincoat, which he kept ‘forgetting’ but a sergeant kept bringing it back to him! , it disappeared after a while though, never to return.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Luckily, I have no policemen friends to return me "forgotten" items, Mags)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Lena!

I hope you feel better soon Evoo.

Glad those eaglets are coming along well!

MidnightBlue, if it's any consolation a dotty aunt once got me one of those wooden puzzle things that you have to insert a shape into the correct hole. I was about 13 at the time...