Notices

I’ve come back

Old 02-01-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Cmon Stew! Do something different. You need to break up the pattern here.

If you want to be a winner, do what the winners do. They are giving you the playbook page by page. Don't ignore them.

I wouldn't be concerned by the firm responses you get to your posts, I would be more concerned if I got none.

The hardest thing for our addictive egos to hear is often the truth.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

You got this Stew! Choose life, always choose life!
Old 02-01-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi Stew, I hope you take some time to throughly read through some of these posts on your thread. It is wonderful support and encouragement. We care about you and everyone battling an addiction. I can understand you thinking that some of the suggestions are critical of you, but I am certain it is meant to try and do nothing but help you. There is an old saying here in the US "nothing worthwhile is ever easy". And beating addiction is one of those things.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi Stewy,

I'm glad you checked back in. I have found posting and reading on SR daily to be an important part of my recovery plan.

You may want to look into mindfulness. You can't change the past, and worrying about future only causes more stress and anxiety. You can control the here and now, you can make positive choices in this moment.

Today, get rid of all of the alcohol in your house. Today go to work, and put in 100%, you seem to like this job, give it your all, this will be easier to do with a clear head, so you're 100% will become stronger each day you have sober. Call your daughter's mom and craft a plan together to talk about what has already been tried, and what the two of you can do to address the issue. You don't need to be together to coparent and support your child. Setting up s meeting with her teacher, or the principal is a good first start.

It's great that you're parents are so supportive of you, spend s littke time thinking about all you do have. Think about how you can make the best of the time at your parents' house. How can you enjoy your time with them? How can you contribute to the household.

Go to a meeting today, if you're not up to talking just listen. Get out and go for a short walk and clear you're head.

These are all things you can do today. You can do them tomorrow too, and gradually add more to the list.

Don't think about the house, when it sells that will be great and you'll be able to make a decision as to what you want to do with the money.

You can do this Stewy, sobriety is a very simple thing, not easy, but simple. Put the work in, you know how much better life is sober.

❤️Delilah
Old 02-01-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
since ya didnt answer before,ill ask again:
are ya ready for rehab yet?

I just feel like last time I used the forum that people were highly critical and frustrated with me so it put me off coming again.

i hope ya see by the replies on this that playing the victim and blaming members here....welp...we aint gonna take responsibility or accountability for your recovery.
Stewy I think rehab has to be arranged, you have struggled for far too long and it is now affecting everything around you it's not fair on them it's not fair on you

2 members of my own family completed rehab one of them twice

It has to be for you though I can help if you want as I'm in London and can send some stuff over just pm bro
Old 02-01-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Everyone is being unbelievably brilliant here. These responses are amazing and each and every one I believe is intended to help me and for that I’m eternally grateful. For whatever reason I’m stuck on what happened last time I was here and that’s something I need to work on within myself as to why I feel strongly about it. It did and does affect me but that said, I came back for support so I know how great being here is.

A lot of my posts are and addicted person not me. So yeah I get why that needs to be addressed harshly because it’s an addict talking and not me. Harshness is understandable when someone is on a mission to destruction. Ive never abused this forum or taken it for granted. I’m the same as anyone else, in a mess and looking for help. Rather than posting, I’ll read. I understand that someone posting and making claims and not delivering causes frustration. I come here because I know I have a problem, same as anyone else. I try and be honest, same as anyone else.

I get this this one thing sorted and my life starts. I’ll just read for now. Thanks for all your support and I’ll be reading everything and taking it all in.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rather than posting, I’ll read. I understand that someone posting and making claims and not delivering causes frustration. I come here because I know I have a problem, same as anyone else. I try and be honest, same as anyone else.
Stewy you're solving this like an alcoholic would....stepping away from the symptoms.

The problem is not you posting, or you not being honest - it's you drinking.

Unless you address that, you're just gonna go round and round.

I think you should post more not less, and I think you should explore as many options for treatment and as many methods as you can, even if its uncomfortable and inconvenient for you to do so.

That way you can honestly say you're doing every thing humanly possible to beat this thing.

This reads like that addictive part of your brain has already determined that you're not going to do much, so may as well limit the 'bad responses' by not posting.

Thats madness.

You need to start fighting for your life..

D
Old 02-01-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

stew, less than two weeks ago, when you returned, you claimed:
I think the only thing that really happened when I left here was that I pushed the support to one side, continued to refuse the notion that I had a problem and then reverted back to the same destructive pattern

and now here you are starting that cycle again, already. people ask you directly what is your PLAN, and you won't answer. you shut down.

what ARE you willing to do? it won't happen on it's own. however you've been doing it on your own isn't working. leaving here for 8 months didn't change a thing. things for you are the same, if not worse. that is the nature of the disease. you keep drinking, it keeps progressing.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I’ve no idea what to post anymore to be honest. What do you say to someone down and out? Rehab is mentioned ok so I go there and get hassle at work for taking a month out and not seeing my daughter. I’ll just read, honestly it’s a good plan right now. I’m not a stupid person. I’m just stuck in a bad cycle but I’m not stupid I’ve got a massive issue. Once I’ve mastered this I’ll be ok. It’s just addiction that’s all I’m not a bad lad and mean no I’ll feeling to forum users
Old 02-01-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

it's hard times. Read and relate. That can get you through right now. It does me and I never thought I could stop drinking. But I have....
Old 02-01-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one here thinks you're bad or stupis - why would we - we've been there?

Honestly tho if reading posts was enough for you, you'd be several years sober by now.

It wasn't enough 2 years ago, or 8 months ago, and it's not going to be enough now.

I'm not trying to be 'harsh' - I see no point in pissing you off.

This is simply cards on the table honestly Stew.

You won't be able to change things to the point you need to without changing some things in your life.

Its gonna take doing some things you don't want to do to get out of this one.

In the end like I've said several times before, no one can make you do anything you don't want to do Stewy...

I just hope you accept the need to do something, anything, soon.

Wishing you the very best man

D
Old 02-01-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post
Rehab is mentioned ok so I go there and get hassle at work for taking a month out and not seeing my daughter.
"One of the chief ways the addiction protects and strengthens itself is by a psychology of personal exceptionalism which permits the addict to maintain a simultaneous double-entry bookkeeping of addictive and non-addictive realities and to reconcile the two when required by reference to the unique, special considerations that, at least in his own mind- happen to apply to his particular case.

The form of the logic for this personal exceptionalism is:

Under ordinary circumstances and for most people X is undesirable/irrational;

My circumstances are not ordinary and I am different from most people;

Therefore X is not undesirable/irrational in my case - or not as undesirable/irrational as it would be in other cases".

Addiction, Lies and Relationships
Old 02-01-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, I think every one of us here have been down and out because of our alcoholism. It's what happens. And, yes, there are problems in early recovery such as missing work to go to rehab or being apart from your daughter. This is part of the recovery process. Part of early recovery is figuring out how to manage our lives, our jobs, our spouse, our children. You can do this.

As Dee said The problem is not you posting, or you not being honest - it's you drinking. If you make the choice to just read on SR and not post, you are jumping right back into the same cycle you've been in for so long. Do something different this time. Stay, respond to members who post to you, manage your life during early recovery and begin to feel better about yourself.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

[left]Rehab is mentioned ok so I go there and get hassle at work for taking a month out and not seeing my daughter.
stewy, read this over and over and over.
hopefully you can see how irrational this is.
youre work is already suffering now but ya dont see it and your truly "not there" with your daughter at this time.
you cant get hassled at work for going to rehab without employees and/ or employer suffering consequences. theres laws about it.

use some courage tonight- find out company policy( and the laws on it), call rehabs, and get r lined up.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

What do I post though? What do I say? Does everyone want me to just say rehab? What does everyone want me to do? I know I’m in a mess. Trust me once I sort this out, I’ll be a good man and help others here. I just need a foothold. I’m no quitter. I try and be a good man.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

it isnt what everyone wants you to do,my man.
its what YOU think and KNOW in your heart what you should do.
theres no doubt in any of us that you would be an inspiration for others here IF you get into action with the help you know deep down in yourself you should seek.
whats deep down in your heart? what does your heart say you should do?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What do I post though? What do I say?
You don't have to start your own threads every time. In fact, you might hold off since you just get worked up. However there is plenty you can do on SR. You can join and post to the monthly "class" and get support/offer support to those who quit when you did.

You can reply to other people's posts, offering support or understanding for what they are going through. That can be better than advice for some. And there are threads for gratitude, weekender threads. It might do you good to get out of your own struggles for a while.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I’ve found the monthly classes pretty helpful Stew. They might be a nice change of pace.

Have a look into your options with rehab Stew. I took a quick look and it looks like you can probably get signed off work with anxiety and/or depression (if you show the symptoms obviously) and then use the time when you’re off to attend rehab. I imagine this would be fine with your work.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I'm sorry but I have to ask - do you think your experience on this incredible website, that has gotten so many people sober, including me, is somehow unique? Do you think that this last time you were here you were singled out and picked on? Really?
​​​​​​
Or do you know that the reason you stopped posting, like many I wondered where you went, was because you wanted to keep drinking?

I've seen you get a much positive support and responses as anyone on this site. This site and the wonderful people here aren't the reason you are still drinking.
​​​
Old 02-01-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You don't have to start your own threads every time. In fact, you might hold off since you just get worked up. However there is plenty you can do on SR. You can join and post to the monthly "class" and get support/offer support to those who quit when you did.

You can reply to other people's posts, offering support or understanding for what they are going through. That can be better than advice for some. And there are threads for gratitude, weekender threads. It might do you good to get out of your own struggles for a while.
These are great suggestions. The February of 2019 class just started up, post in there and introduce yourself, then check in each day and make a commitment to remaining sober. Do the same thing on the 24 hour thread, you'll find an amazing support group.