Notices

I’ve come back

Old 01-19-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome back Stewy!

You're not alone Stew, we know how horrible it is to be addicted to alcohol. Minimising the cravings in the early weeks is key. For me that meant getting up ridiculously early so that I was tired enough to go to bed early and dodge the worst of the cravings but everyone is different and it seems there are many ways that work.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome back Stew! I'm in a similar place you are.

I'd recommend you keep posting every day. It's a promise I made myself after my last relapse and it can only help.

We can do this man.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome back Stew!!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Glad to see you back Stewy.
You can do it.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

How are you doing tonight Stewy?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope that with support, you can achieve lasting sobriety. It takes some effort and changes, but it's worth it.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Glad you're here.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Welcome back Stew! It takes alot of courage to come back and admit relapse, whether it’s SR, AA, or other friends and family. Many of us have relapsed, but it is so comforting to know we are not alone with our struggle.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Stewy. Last time you were here you left because you felt that you needed local support more than anything and that SR was not an effective tool. What kinds of things did you do while you were away? I’m guessing they weren’t effective as you are still drinking?

I guess what you need to ask yourself is are you wiling to change to get better. You’ve received a lot of very good advice both tines you were active here on SR, but each time you chose to leave. How about making this the time that you do the work and make positive change? You can absolutely do it, but it’s entirely up to the choices you make.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to you all for making me really welcome here again. Today I’m doing ok, I’m just in that initial first few days thing, trying to just keep focused on keeping busy and making sure I’m eating / drinking plenty of water. Listened to some meditation stuff earlier, trying not to over think or get stressed. Just simplifying my brain after all the recent chaos created by drinking

Regardless of anything else I have going on at the moment, I have to cut alcohol out of the equation as most things are likely to become more manageable for me. I took the decision to contact work and advise I would be coming back in on Monday because that will provide me with a solid structure.

I’m just glad I’m here
Old 01-20-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Scott,

I think the only thing that really happened when I left here was that I pushed the support to one side, continued to refuse the notion that I had a problem and then reverted back to the same destructive pattern. I’m sticking around here because it keeps me accountable and I’m talking with people that relate. I have to pin my ears back and listen to advice / support as it’s helping me.

If anyone else is starting out like me, i’d Just like to say please don’t do what I did. I had over 2 years of abstinence and stupidly believed I could drink again.

It was less than 2 days that I reverted back to the pattern of drinking I’d originally escaped from
Old 01-20-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post
Hi Scott,

I think the only thing that really happened when I left here was that I pushed the support to one side, continued to refuse the notion that I had a problem and then reverted back to the same destructive pattern. I’m sticking around here because it keeps me accountable and I’m talking with people that relate. I have to pin my ears back and listen to advice / support as it’s helping me.
Glad to hear that you've made that decision. I pushed support to the side more than once in my life, and after an extended period of sobriety. You are right that it only takes a very short time to go back right where one started.

Listening to advice here is a very good idea, I know I've learned a lot. What's even more important though is the work we each do individually to keep our committment/promise/pledge to not drink. Don't rule out other avenues of support either, and make your work on sobriety a daily part of your life.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Glad your back Stew. Support to you sir.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Stewy?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I’m ok thanks Delilah

The difference this time for me coming back here is I’m serious and I truly want to be alcohol free more than my desire to drink.

Today I’m getting through, I’m trying to adopt the mindset that I’m free of it and that this is a good thing. The addictive voice says something like “you’re going to struggle without it” or “it’s a long road, why not just drink, one more time”

I think I may have saved my life by coming here again
Old 01-20-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

That's good Stewy, do you have plans to get you through today? I know when I first got sober I planned out my evenings because that was when I really struggled.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome back , glad to see you around

What are your plans for future alcohol use?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yes I’m just about to go to a friends house and spend time with them, I’ll be driving there. Going to post when I get in

Hi dwtbd, there are no future plans around that. I am aware though that it’s important I establish a new life completely and this will take time
Old 01-20-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You sound very positive & optimistic, Stewy. We're so happy to have you back.