Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Not Thanksgiving Weekender Thread 30 November - 3rd December2018

Notices

Not Thanksgiving Weekender Thread 30 November - 3rd December2018

Old 12-03-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Rats do not freak me out, but creep me ...the guy told me they can jump up to a metre, up or sideways and 2nd generation offspring become tolerant to poison.
Bloody horror movies- all their fault.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Administrator

to get back to desktop in Iphone hit refresh while in Safari (or whatever browser you use).

D
Old 12-03-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

PhoenixJ ~

I got away from all Vermin Poisons. Tough on the follow-on Food Chain. Birds unknowingly nosh on Vermin, and it then takes them out. Same with Cats. MesaDog uncharacteristically tried to scarf a deceased tiny Bird the other Day, and I had to pry it out of his Mouth. Fast. Mice or Rats also kack in inaccessible places, and can really stink up the Joint.

On YouTube, search for *redneck mouse traps*. Peanut Butter on an empty Plastic Bottle that has a straightened Wire Coat Hanger stuck through it. It's then suspended above a half-full 5 Gallon Bucket. A ramp of scrap Wood lets the Critter climb up to the Bucket edge. Vermin play a game of 'Log Roller' on it, and fall in the Water. I've built them, and they work. I also bought some electronic Traps. They meander in, and catch a fatal jolt of Electricity that turns on only when they touch 2 Plates. Pets can't get to the Trap internals. USD ~$40-/each.

A Family Member who worked a Vet's Office made a convert outta me re: how fatal a dead Critter is to other desired Species. Pets have to be given Vitamin K in an attempt to offset effects of Blood-thinning 'Warfarin'; the key Ingredient in such Poisons.

'Regular' Bats here around MesaVille in old Barns, and Mines, but no Vampire ones. Well, that I know of...-)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I had thought to do that Mesa-m. I will give it some thought.
Thanks- not so red neck. I know of rural people who would mix wholemeal flour with concrete power. Go figure.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Holiday spirit really gets to me.

I don't remember the name of O'Henry's short story but the main character somewhat felt oppressed by the bright sun and holiday atmosphere.

I feel like there's nowhere to hide from it.

I've decided to re-read Christmas Carol and feel free from holiday duties obligations.

See you)
Old 12-04-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning.

Our HR department put out a threatning memo over parking control stating our cars will be towed on second offence no matter how long ago the first offence was. The offence being forgetting your hang tag. On top of that they are in violation of city bylaw's due to no signage stating private lot and towing company contact info.

The problem is, I can't seem to let this go. I'm not normally bothered by such trivial slop.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello there sober recoverers.
Recovery Friends.
Its cousin Vinny.

SORRY this is long.

I have not given any news for a while and well i'm not going to lie about it, who would i be lying to anyways, only those that want to help me. The thing is it's all gone pear shaped again. No more cinema. It kind of has been difficult since the end of Oct behind the scenes. I was keeping it together pretending here that all was ok but it wasnt. Then about mid Nov I kind of, more or less lost the survival instinct (my EROS) Whisky became my obsession. Dirty cheap bottles, expensive bottles any thing i could get.

So i missed alot of work and went to the Dr who gave me diazepam (valium) and seresta to ease the cravings and withhdrawl. Only of course i came home and strated washing them down with whisky. They were bottles everywhere. My wife would find them hidden in the cereal box. My daughter was sleeping alot at a friends house. They spent a fw nights in a hotel. Most of the time she waited driving around in the car until it was late enough and i was already blacked out.

Then on a friday morning, last friday actually, so the 30th I woke up and i didnt know where a day and a half had gone. I could only remeber wedensday. That very friday morning I found another bottle hidden behind the bin in the press. I drank it again and then semi-consciously drove off and got another dirty cheap bottle of scotch. By the time I blacked out again, half the bottle was gone, so that was basically 1.5 bottles of scotch ofnfriday the 30th. The most i have ever consumed.

The next time i came back to conciousness alone on the sofa i was so sick with epeleptic type fits and acid coming up out of my stomach, my wife and daughter had gone to her sisters. The plan was that we all would go on to my mother in laws because it was her 70th birthday and she had booked something special for the Sunday.

I called my wife and said look the plan is I'll get cleaned up today and meet you all at your mothers tomorrow (sunday) Of course plan A went to plan B and I ended up in a supermarket again on saturday. I missed my mother in laws birthday. My wife had to lie to everyone for me. This has been going on for so long .

On the sunday 2nd Dec i tried to drink another glass or two of whisky but just physically couldnt. Tears strated swelling up in my eyes and god if you knew me you would know thats not often that happens (even never)

I poured every last drink that was in the house down the sink on the 2nd Dec 2018 (Sunday) I went to an AA meeting and told everyone that My name is Vinny and I'm an ALCOHOLIC. I'm going to stick with AA and work the steps.

I went to see a Dr who gave me alot of stuff to help with the withdrawl. I went to see my shrink (in french and addictologue) like a therapist. He said to me Vincent your pressing the accelerator and the brakes at the same time it cant work. He is persuaded that i'm bipolar. He hes booked me in to rehab for the 17th Dec. I am currently on sick leave.

For nearly six years I have been going into my daughters bedroom everynight (when not blacked out) and lean over her and kiss her forehead and say Je t'aime. Of that then i think how that is and always has been the strongest feeling i have ever felt in all my life. It's a feeling that so strong that it makes me think how can I ever lie to anyone ever again even lie to myself...

Been sober since Sunday the 2nd of Dec. The meds are helping. Got another AA meeting toninght.

Wanted to add ; i missed you weekenders and am very sad that I have not been able to keep up with our amazing Kathy's life battle.
You made me laugh about the poem too mb
Very happy that king David is back

Signing out
Vinny
Alcoholic
Old 12-04-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Vinny.

I haven't read your entire post yet, I am just happy you are back.

I knew that the poem threat will work.

PLEASE, stay close, keep posting.

You are still the same Vman for us, you are just going through hard times now.

But it's better together, right?
Old 12-04-2018, 04:57 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Now I've read your entire post, Vinny.

I am sorry you've been struggling so much recently. I know what you are saying about trying to convince yourself that things are ok when inside everything is falling apart.

It takes courage to ask for help. I am, for one, particularly bad at it.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

VINNY! I’m so relieved to see you!

Thank you for being so honest with us. It sounds like your doctor has a good, concrete plan. Rehab (getting your own, personal environment for recovery) will most likely be wonderful and liberating—it will liberate you from the prison you’ve been keeping yourself in. You will learn how to take steps to free yourself every day.

Gosh, I’m so glad you’re back. Sorry you and your family have suffered so, but I’m relieved you’re not dead on a Paris street somewhere (I know, you’re nowhere near Paris)!

Thanks so much for being honest with us!

Your absence has left a big void!
Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great to see you VMan, brave post which bodes well for the future, as does the fact that you only relapsed for a fortnight. The way I beat the cravings in the early days was to get up before dawn, exercise and feel shattered by 9pm meaning bed seemed more attractive than drinking but you have beat them before so i'm sure you will beat them again. The bi-polar diagnosis might be a really good thing for you (even though it probably doesn't feel like it) It is treatable these days and if so it might mean that staying sober is easier this time. Very glad you are back with us.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

V-hug.

So glad to hear from you. Life can be a kick in the...

I know you have it in you to find the solution to this. You are worth it and your family deserves it. One foot in front of the other, yeah? It sounds like your shrink is a good one - rehab, rest, medicate, heal. We care about you.

Glad you made it back.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

glad you're back Vinny mon ami. sorry you're having a tough time, glad you're getting some help now.

you've lived a good life sober before, you can do it again.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Vinny, it really is a relief to see that you are back! I‘m so sorry to hear what you have been through, but it is such an honest post and I‘m glad you reached out and got help.

As you have often encouraged others, keep posting no matter if things are good or bad. We are looking forward to keep up with you and never doubt that you have all of our best wishes and support!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

So glad you are back vinny--
Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
sober style

It's not the same without you, Vman!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
saoutchik

HAPPY 4TH ANNIVERSARY MLD51!

A wonderful achievement.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Glad you are safe now Vman.
You have so many people who care about you here. I wish you all the best.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Yes! Happy 4 years, Marty!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Mr

Just back from another AA meeting. Going again tomorrow. 3 in a week. I'm starting to get the taste of it.. Thanks for all the kind words and don't worry about me I'm not easy to keep down....

Congratulations MLD. What an achievement.

Goodnight weekenders.