# 121 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats LB

D
Old 11-25-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Marcutah1 View Post
ST, strum your heart out have fun and remember that suds are for washing.
LOL, that's a good one.
Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Dragon, it's a great idea to take your daughter along to the Strum and Suds!
Daughter won't be joing me in clasess in the new year. She will have work and school to worry about. I'm sad about that but we are still going to do the Sunday strums together.

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi Lady Blue! Great to see you. What you say is so true, building a new sober life to find and define that balance. My new life is so different from my old life. Alot of the worry an stress is still here but what I do to fill my own cup now is much more fufilling than the bottle ever was.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Great to see you, LB!

Thanks for dropping in!
Old 11-25-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. It’s been enjoyable to catch up on the thread this morning. Alas my favorite holiday has passed, but it’d do me good to keep a bit of thanksgiving in my attitude 365 days per year.

Wonderful to see the posts showing how sobriety is paying off. I think it’s especially important for folks early in the journey to see that it’s a worthy effort and to illustrate that the best results come from an active approach in the building of a new life. I was one that thought things would automatically fall into place shortly after I stopped pouring alcohol down my throat. I know now that that’s the all important first step on the journey.

Wishing each of you a good start to the week.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for prayers.

I guess the movie sparked my thoughts seeing Freddie Mercury lose his life to addiction and consequently poor choices like promiscuity.

Glad we are all living life.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness Free, I’d missed a page in my catching up. I’m so sorry that you’ve got this wrenching situation on your plate.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Great post Ladyblue, thanks for sharing your tips. Sometimes the AV tries to persuade me it would be ok to drink for this reason or that occasion. Like when I’m sad. Like weekends. Like the leadup to Christmas.

But I know what happens when I drink. I don’t stop. The constant hangover, drink, hangover, drink cycle begins all over again.... I don’t know why I even entertain the idea of drinking again. I need to accept that I just can’t. I wish the AV would go away and stop taunting me. Weekends are definitely worst, especially Sundays for me. I always seem to feel sad on Sundays, I have for years and it’s escalated in the last few months since losing my parents

I know I can’t drink, but the AV constantly tries to convince me otherwise.

I’m still counting my days of sobriety (197) and I don’t want to have to reset back to day 1 again. Ever. I had soooooo many day 1s I lost count. Hundreds. Possibly more than hundreds, my sozzled brain has forgotten. I don’t know that I could do it again, the early days were hard. It’s easier now in many ways as the cravings pass quickly, although they can still be strong. But I feel so much healthier than I did 6 months ago.

Zoeydog what happened when you drank again? I always wonder what happens when people have been sober and then pick up. I think we can all learn from each other. I know for me that it was falsely thinking that I could drink normally, that “allowed” me to drink again. Thinking I could control it this time. Thinking that surely I’m ok now, thinking that I have proven I can stay sober, so surely one or two won’t hurt now.

That’s not true, that statement: “I’ll just have one or two “. It’s just not true. I know now that it’s the AV talking and I just have to remember that it’s false. It’s the voice of addiction, not my true self.

What I have to remind myself now instead and forevermore is this:
”No. Not one drop. I CAN’T have any more alcohol ever. Period.”
Old 11-25-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Fun Fun fun at the strum. Turns out the bar is a flight down the stairs from the second floor conference room that we play in. Somewere along the way I got the impression that it was right inside a bar. People are allowed to get drinks and bring them up. That didn't even come close to bothering me. Definitely going back again (and again).
Old 11-25-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

How perfect that you weren’t right in the thick of the bar!
Old 11-25-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

That sounds great, dragon! Glad you went.....
Old 11-25-2018, 10:02 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Willow, thanks for asking about how/why I drank again. I have a cycle of making it sober 20, 30 and even 40 days. Then for some reason I can't really explain -- I wish I could -- I have one, or maybe two drinks for some special occasion. I'll try to get right back to sobriety, but once I've slipped I tend to continue to slip, a little further each night. Stress can also be a trigger for me. But I DO come back, and I know my body has benefited from the sober days, and I try to stay very focused on the rewards of being sober, which are numerous. And I'm another day sober today!

Happy Monday to everyone!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

It's my understanding that one of the dangers of relapse is the body has recovered and has less tolerance for alchohol while the brain is still set at the old levels of intake. Making it too easy to ingest more alchohol than the body the can handle. And in some cases can kill a person.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Yeah, be careful with that not-drinking-then-going-back thing. I've heard of several people dying like that soon after going back to drinking after a period of abstinence.

Dragon, so cool that you had fun at the Strum and Suds or whatever it's called.

Another holiday weekend in the books sober. Pretty effortless actually.

I've spent a good amount of time watching the gorillas at the zoo in this past week. The zookeepers have been on watch too, so I've learned a lot! So interesting.

There will be no drinking this week for me, either. Or any week.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
It's my understanding that one of the dangers of relapse is the body has recovered and has less tolerance for alchohol while the brain is still set at the old levels of intake. Making it too easy to ingest more alchohol than the body the can handle. And in some cases can kill a person.
I can fully attest to this. In fact, I think you just provided me with info on exactly what happened. I thought when I relapsed and was seeming to get away with drinking that I was ok. However, soon and with the blink of an eye what happened to me when I drank was anyone's guess. In other words, previously where I had a rough idea of when blackouts would occur or how much I could handle that had all gone out the window. It was totally unpredictable. If you could see my mug shot from my DUI arrest after having drank two vodka drinks you would swear you were looking at someone who had just come off of a binge lasting multiple days. I have no reason to lie about it either as I get sideways looks and head tilts when I tell someone what happened that day. I drank two vodka drinks inside of a two hour time period and went into a complete blackout. The only factors that may have escalated that day was I had an empty stomach and I don't drink hard stuff, I was a beer girl. But still, a normie drinking 2 vodka drinks would have not blacked out.

It was what my past alcohol use had done to my body. You may give yourself a reprieve when you quit but when you go back the decline is exponentially faster. Scary stuff.

Anyway, life is good and I am so glad to see everyone here. This place and all of you were monumental in helping to keep sober. Don't know what I would have done had I not had this place to come to.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders. Hope everyone had a good start to the week.

Scary stuff indeed, Dragon and LadyBlue. Well worth keeping in mind.

Vman, oú êtes-vous?
Old 11-26-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Bimini, glad you enjoyed the gorillas. Those who believe in evolution will say we have a common ancestor (or is it us and chimpanzees). I think supporting the zoo is a worthy cause.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
sober style

There's a great Warren Zevon song about a gorilla in a zoo who takes over the life of a human.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Lol!
Old 11-26-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I've never heard that gorilla song.

The images are great! Thanks for that. I'm just a little bit gorilla-obsessed right now.

The new male came here on a FedEx plane. Just part of his rather dramatic story. He and his three adult females and one three year old (who were already here) have all settled into their zoo day routine now. The drama of the introductions and the new surroundings should be settling down a little. It's been fun/exciting to watch.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:00 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Evening, weekenders.

I played water polo again yesterday, and started having more fun and even make sense of rules. My face got a tough hit from the ball though, but being after my boxing workouts I handled it well)

Today is nothing new - boxing +crossfit.

Where did time go? Just in a blink of an eye there will be New Year's eve again.

My best to all the weekenders.

See you)