Notices

Thanksgiving Weekender Thread 20- 26 November 2018

Old 11-20-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanksgiving Weekender Thread 20- 26 November 2018

Hi There!
I'd like to welcome anyone new to SR and new to this thread.

Weekends can be a tough time - especially holiday weekends -and that's what this thread is about - support.

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier

If you've never jumped into a weekender thread before - no time like today...do it now!

This is a great link to help deal with situations like Thanksgiving - well worth a read

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

D
Old 11-20-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!

TWO WEEKS IN A ROW!

Woo Hoo!

Thank you for setting us up, Dee.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in
Bring on the turkey
Old 11-20-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Had a fun time at the jam this evening. There were about 10 people, all the guys orderd a beer. I joined the ladies in some decaf mint tea. (I was planning on a big glass of ice tea, but the place was cold...). Everyone chose a song to play. The chords were easy and the melodies familiar. It let me try my voice out in public and gain a little more confidence.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in!

Nervous about Thanksgiving day, but I am thinking out my plan in my head, and have two people I can call if I get overwhelmed to come and get me.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

On Thanksgiving day I remember having dinner with mom when she lived at the assisted living Place. We'd make reservations to have dinner with her. Me and my brother have no family in the area now so we don't do anything for the holiday anymore.

Nice to have family here I can visit on the holiday.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. We don’t celebrate thanksgiving but I think in soladarity I’ll try to source some turkey this week!

Wow Gilmer, two shotguns in a row!

MB, that’s really annoying, even more so as you are no longer “with them”.

Mint tea after a jam session. Well done Dragon!

Vman, thanks for your “call to arms” yesterday. Even though I am not the most prolific poster, it has become a little too quiet for my liking as well...

SAO, if you are reading this, know that we miss you. I think the time has come for you to start, so to speak, putting pen to paper again!
Old 11-21-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. And hi to Saou too. Sorry I've not been posting... got a lot of poop going on and I'm trying to not only post when I'm down as I'm being a Debbie downer all the time. Working on trying to find the positives in things.... gee it's hard work at times.
Big hugs
xx
Old 11-21-2018, 12:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

Congrats on Shotgun, Gilmer!

Willow, the food has great impact on quality of sleep and functioning overall. And sugar messes up with both.

I need more coffee.

See you later.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

Petals you deffo aint no debbie downer. I love it when I see you online....
Every time you post go's straigh t thought the heart
Youre a real original
Old 11-21-2018, 01:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

^^^^^^^^ What vman said! Great to see you again petals!

A big welcome to the weekender to helloxdarling too! You’ll find lots of support on this thread to help you get through the weekend here from some lovely if not a little bit crazy bunch of misfits xx
Old 11-21-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders
I’m in! I’m not even entirely sure what thanksgiving is... but I’m in and I’ll be giving thanks for lots of things this weekend, including my sobriety of 6 months. It’s 3 months since losing Mum and Dad now, and I miss them so much, but I am so grateful for their love for so many years and for their strength and integrity and sheer amazingness and zest for life. I miss them like crazy but I am thankful they’re in no more pain, no more suffering, they’re now at peace, restored and safe at home with God ❤️
Old 11-21-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Page one! Hoping everyone is happy and healthy.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, Solarion!

Welcome, Helloxdarling!

Petals, I agree 100% with VMan's assessment of you. You are not a Debbie Downer; you're a breath of fresh air!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey weekend people — I’m in. I am on Day 9 of my sobriety now.

I’ve been thinking about thanksgiving for the past week. I like cooking a big meal, but I tend to drink wine while I’m doing it. I could handle it without drinking, it’s not like some huge trigger; I just wouldn’t enjoy it.

So I ordered everything from a restaurant — turkey, side dishes, pies, everything. I think of it as an early Christmas gift from me to myself.

Amyway, I will not drink this weekend.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That sounds FANTASTIC, Bonniefloyd!

And good job on your nine days!
Old 11-21-2018, 04:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Helloxdarling, Bonniefloyd, Sounds like you two have good plans to protect your sobriety. good work.

Big hello and squeesie hugs for Petals.

What CaptainHaddock said: C'mon back Sao, we miss you. And we need you to tell us what this is:
Old 11-21-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Hey weekend people — I’m in. I am on Day 9 of my sobriety now.

I’ve been thinking about thanksgiving for the past week. I like cooking a big meal, but I tend to drink wine while I’m doing it. I could handle it without drinking, it’s not like some huge trigger; I just wouldn’t enjoy it.

So I ordered everything from a restaurant — turkey, side dishes, pies, everything. I think of it as an early Christmas gift from me to myself.

Amyway, I will not drink this weekend.
Sounds like an excellent choice, Bonniefloyd. Thinking ahead like that, guarding your sobriety, nurturing it. You're doing great, good work!
Old 11-21-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have many things to be thankful for this year, and I'm going to remember how I'm going to keep it that way.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

THANKFUL.

Gratitude is one of the first things on my mind every day. I have to really work at that, but it has become a habit. If left to my own crazy-mind-devices I'd be morose and drinking. That really didn't serve me, so I decided to change all of that.

I bought a baked chicken and some side vegetables for the Day. Living alone it makes no sense to buy a turkey, no family around. I've stopped accepting pity-invites for dinner with other peoples' dysfunctional families, too. For some reason everyone thinks I need company on that day - but it's just a day like any other and I'd rather not go through the discomfort of being at someone's house for four hours, watching the clock till I can go home and put on my comfy clothes.

No drinking will be done by me. I didn't even buy my usual bottle of sparkling cider this year. Pointless bubbly sweet calories.

The eagles have laid two eggs. Well, Harriet the mother eagle did the work. Now they both incubate.