Notices

Thanksgiving Weekender Thread 20- 26 November 2018

Old 11-23-2018, 12:56 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Morning lovely weekenders!

hxD you are doing great and seem to have handled the day with absolute determination and confidence. You should be so proud of yourself!

My boiler died yesterday so had to get the plumber out so I could have heating and hot water back....£411 later and it’s sorted but a very very expensive day. I’m fact it’s going to be an expensive week as my TV licence is due, MOT on my car and I know I need the back CV joints doing which won’t be cheap and also my car insurance is due. But that’s life lol!!

Have a great sober day people!! xx
Old 11-23-2018, 02:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

How's everyone doing today?

Helloxdarling - Congrats on 2 weeks!

I've just finished the session with the therapist and I have a lot to think about.

See you)
Old 11-23-2018, 02:46 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I'm so glad the sessions with the therapist are fruitful, MB!

I feel glod. (That word was supposed to be "GOOD!").

I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to get coffee rather than going back to sleep--so I had some fun surfing SR and then debated with the good angel/bad angel on my shoulder.

The good angel won! I ended up unpacking the last "normal" load of dishes from the dishwasher and digging in to do the thankless grimy pots and pans! When the people wake up whose turn it is to cook breakfast, everything will be neat, clean, and in order for them.

Lord knows that even after the big Thanksgiving mess was cleaned up last night, it still looked like a bomb hit the place!

It's so easy to be joyful when I'm all by myself and the screaming hordes are all sound asleep!
Old 11-23-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

What the heckers is a TV License? and back CV Joints? what kind of car do you drive Manta?

My air conditioning died this summer the evening before a forecasted heat wave, it cost me $360 for a tech to replace a $25 part.

Hi Saou! I see you!
Old 11-23-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

There’s a job that is always in demand: HVAC technicians!
Old 11-23-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Mr

Howdy all.
Congrats for the job ML
Nice work on 2 weeks HxD.
Nothing major to report from frogland.
Anyways its friday time... wont be long before the weekend
Old 11-23-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey, Manta, I have to agree with Dragon. If your car has CV joints on the rear wheels the problem might be bigger than you think! Unless you have a modern rear wheel drive car with independent rear suspension. On a more serious note, I’m sorry to hear these grudge expenses have all come knocking at the same time.

Well done on dealing with the situation, hxD. I hope one day your father gains the motivation to get sober.

Have a great Friday everyone. I quietly slipped away from work early, to miss the dreadful Black Friday peak hour traffic!
Old 11-23-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Nothing major to report from frogland.
Anyways its friday time... wont be long before the weekend
What do you mean, Vman? The weekend begins when you open your eyes first thing Friday morning!
Old 11-23-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Manta, ditto dragon no what is ATV license? And you’re sorry all of your expenses are happening at the same time. Doesn’t that work out great that you have a contract to offset all of that? Timing is everything. How does your neck feel now?

Congrats to the people who are experiencing good milestones in their sobriety.

Update… The gathering was fun first part was boring around the ABS sisters bar that they built in their basement. It is a beautiful space, and I prepared by bringing sliced limes and sliced ginger bit to put in a non-alcoholic ginger beer. I really really enjoy that refreshing drink and love to chew on the ginger .

Dinner was delayed because of cooking times but it was absolutely delicious I only choked twice and no one seem to notice so that was good , Only had a slight bit of yearning for the wind and the dinner table but it passed very quickly. So glad I was able to follow my ABF to his house absolutely sober alert and aware of the traffic around me .

Thankful for this time alone having my coffee and reflecting here on as are with my friends.

Blessings to all of you.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Manta, ditto dragon no what is ATV license?
Hi Free2bme, I don’t want to answer for Manta, but think a TV license is an annual fee that has to be paid to the national broadcasting authority for the privilege of being able to receive broadcasts on your television set, and then still having to pay for satellite TV because what is on offer from the national broadcaster leaves much to be desired. We have them here in South Africa too, and they are seldom paid with a smile, as you might have gathered.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Does the back of the car not have CV joints? My car is a little vauxhall corsa so nothing special but the back end is making a lot of noise and the garage mentioned some such gubbins about CV joints or wishbones or something else that I didn't understand but cost about £300 to fix. Anyhow.....I just decided to trade it in this morning and get a new (new to me) car and will pick up a lovely zippy little Mazda 2 next Thursday, whoop whoop!!

In the UK Dragon if you have either a TV, Laptop/Mobile with access to stream anything or a radio you have to get a TV Licence, it's kind of a stealth tax that every household had to pay for. It's usually around £160 a year. They have evil TV vans that patrol the streets and can use some kind of technology that can tell if you have a TV in the house and if you don't have a licence you get a fine....people even get sent to prison for not having one lol. It's a bloody outrage if you ask me haha but again....life on life's terms (deep breath Manta...deep breath).
Old 11-23-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Last post from me, I promise, but Manta and I are clearly on the same page when it comes to TV licenses
Old 11-23-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
They have evil TV vans that patrol the streets and can use some kind of technology that can tell if you have a TV in the house and if you don't have a licence you get a fine....people even get sent to prison for not having one lol.
Manta, this is insane.

I think humankind is slowly but steadily progressing to Matrix reality.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Friday Weekenders!

congrats on the job Manta - whoop whoop! I'm job-hunting at the moment so I hope to be joining you back in the ranked of the employed soon.

btw - a Corsa is front-wheel drive, so no CV joints at the back.

hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Great to see you andy xx
Old 11-23-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

we had a nice little 1985ish Mazda 323, sorta the 80's version of todays mazda 2. It was a really good and reliable car. Very Mechanically sound. It was 15 years old when we gave it up for a mini van.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I used to have a subaru wagon (4 wheel drive). It had CV joints. I don’t know where they were but I do remember they cost a lot to fix!
That’s nuts you have to pay for a tv license. We have free to air tv that anyone can get. You only have to pay for payTV which I’ve never bothered with, partly because there are plenty of free channels and partly because I rarely watch tv anyway
It’s hot and humid today, about 35 C. Time for a swim!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Dragon, I can relate to your post as my sister’s very first car was a 1985-ish Mazda 323 hatchback.

And Willow, I have been driving a Subaru since 2005. The first was an Impreza (a so called sports wagon) that I bought second hand from a diplomat. After that it has been two Foresters (which in my opinion are very underrated cars). Enjoy you swim. Our temperatures are heading the same way. One morning earlier this this week it had reached 25 Celsius by 06:45!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:22 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Morning, weekenders.

I am getting my sleep back on track, thought woke up a few times during the night and had a crazy unpleasant dream.

Hope everyone is enjoying this sober Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Happy sober Saturday, Weekenders! I chuckled to realize that Black Friday seems to be a 'thing' across the world -- even Cap't has to avoid Black Friday traffic in South Africa. We have Flannel Friday in Vermont, where locally owned businesses have sales, serve cider and donuts, and other fun things to lure shoppers away from online Black Friday sales. It's really fun.

Today my goal is exercise … my body and my brain need it!

Happy weekend, everyone.