Notices

Pet Therapy

Old 11-02-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have a cat and a dog. My furbabies. I love walking my dog, music blasting, and finding a tune that matches his goofy, super fast and spastic, wiggle walk. Anything pop/salsa seems best. It makes me laugh. I can't look at my dog and be sad. He's about the weirdest looking dog in the world. He ran up to me as a puppy, lost and homeless, starving. So I just brought him home with me. Love at first sight.

Then there's the cat...dun, dun duuuuunnnnn. He's mean as hell, pretty unhappy all the time, but he's my baby anyway. He's 13 now, weighs about 20 lbs and has trouble walking. I worry about him so much but he's just old and fat and lazy and he seems perfectly ok with it. Yes he's on a diet. Its not working. He doesn't eat much. But he doesn't move much either.

Aw the babies.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have dogs. I've loved animals since I was very little. I lit up like a Christmas tree anytime I saw a dog. I knew all the dogs' names in my neighborhood.

My dogs helped me a lot during my recovery. Just being around their energy was a comfort. Taking them for walks, brushing them, snuggling them, or just sharing a room with them while writing my 4th step was so nice.

Perhaps the woman at the movies had something very traumatic happen to her and has panic attacks when out. Or maybe she gets seizures and the dog is there to warn her. Whenever I see a service dog, I ask if I can pet them. Sometimes if they're not working and just being trained, the person wants them to be pet in order to socialize them. But if the dog is working, then usually they're not supposed to be pet. Although I'm not positive about this.

My previous psychiatrist was a big proponent of people having therapy dogs. He saw firsthand the difference it made in people suffering from depression or anxiety and other conditions.

I noticed from an early age what's special about dogs/animals and how different they are from people. Dogs live in the moment. They don't play mind games. They don't create drama, chaos, or abuse. Dogs are very simple. They eat, sleep, play, do their business, like to socialize, and be close to their pack. They ask for so little, yet give so much without realizing it.

As long as I am able, I always want to have a dog. I don't like all dogs, though. I can't deal with yappy, loud, high strung, messed up in the head type of dogs. I'm just not equipped to handle that type of dog. I like ones who are calm, playful, and affectionate.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Actually, it's her dogs. I'm a she.

There are many reasons to have a service dog.

I've read about studies showing that petting a dog or cat can lower blood pressure. I know my dog and cats are good company for me and keep me from being lonely.
Oops. Sorry Least! My mistake.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thx for all the replies! I grew up with lots of animals and always had a good dog or two. I don't how my dad would have managed with a good dog, I really don't. We in looking for another dog and we had to put ours to sleep last year and our cat is lonely without his buddy around. Our old dog is going to be hard to beat though, she was very special....I hope we can find one that will work for us.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

See what your local rescue/shelter has for adoptable dogs. All of my dogs have been rescues.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
See what your local rescue/shelter has for adoptable dogs. All of my dogs have been rescues.
Thx least. We are planning to do a rescue again. Our last dog was a rescue and I subconsciously having been looking for another one like her....don't know if that will happen or not. She was very very special.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Each dog is special in his or her own way. Would you consider adopting an older dog? Sometimes they get passed over because they're not pups. Jack was 7 when I got him. I feel grateful I could give him such a lovely 'retirement' in his golden years.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes, I've considered that least. One that's already potty trained might be quite nice! Went to the animal shelter a few weeks ago. Problem is I want to adopt them all.........including a few more cats............I have a weakness for most dogs, especially the smart ones. I don't live on a ranch, but I love cow dogs.

(smile)

Old 11-02-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post

Then there's the cat...dun, dun duuuuunnnnn. He's mean as hell, pretty unhappy all the time, but he's my baby anyway. He's 13 now, weighs about 20 lbs and has trouble walking. I worry about him so much but he's just old and fat and lazy and he seems perfectly ok with it. Yes he's on a diet. Its not working. He doesn't eat much. But he doesn't move much either.

Aw the babies.
Hmmm. Grumpy Cat? I love Grumpy Cat! Dark humor.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

We have four cats, all rescued. Two of them have been with us only for a couple of months, because last spring we lost three cats in quick succession to age and sickness. Fortunately the young ones are keeping us busy.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have two rescue cats.
They have the quirkiest personalities and are a ton of fun.
They bring me great joy.