Notices

Day 1 again but this time it's different

Old 11-01-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again but this time it's different

I have had more day 1's than I can even imagine.
It has been years since I have been on here.
Today I woke up a little bit buzzed and feeling "off". I told myself I need a drink to feel better. I planned to have a "liquid lunch" today. I got my raspberry tea here at work, in the refrigerator getting nice and cold for me to add vodka at lunch time. This was at 10:am but now at 11:30am I have a change of heart. I want to fight this urge. Rid myself of the hold. The strong power alcohol has over me.
I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I no longer want to feel exhausted, zero energy, unfocused, fuzzy headed, sick to my stomach, I no longer want the shame, embarrassment, guilt, low self worth, feeling like a failure, a horrible person. I can't stand the anxiety and depression any more. I want to live! I want to smile. I want to be able to enjoy life.
Is there any advice to help me through this day 1?
I decided at lunch time, I am going to read a recovery ebook instead of taking a drink. I am proud of myself for that. I thank God for putting this into me. I prayed for strength today to fight this battle.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

welcome back scared1, glad to hear you've made the decision to quit. SR is always here if you need support, don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is there any advice to help me through this day 1?
dump the booze. empty the stash.
understand that the next few days are NOT going to be a cakewalk. but the lousy of feeling WILL pass in a few day's time. accept the uncomfortable parts, embrace them and know that you never ever have to go thru this again. EVER.
don't drink
no matter what
Old 11-01-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

My suggestion is to keep reading and posting here. You will always find inspiration from our members.

It's always good to have a plan in place to get through the days. Make sure you have something planned for the times of day when you are most likely to drink. Get rid of the alcohol in your house and don't buy anymore. Distract yourself, even if it's just for a few minutes.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're giving it another go.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was just thinking at lunch of how much booze I have at home. I just stocked up yesterday. I am going to have to give it away or something.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's how it was for me too, scared. One day I was just thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing, and ready to give sobriety a chance. It was no longer fun, relaxing, or anything else good. I was exhausted and miserable. It worked. I never picked up again.

Please do keep posting here - knowing we're not alone makes a huge difference. You can do it, scared - life will be so much better.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give it away pour it out - dump it whatever.

I'm really glad you made a different healthy choice today Scared - keep up the momentum...

if you keep making different healthy choices on the back of that decision I guarantee you will start to get somewhere

why not check out the brand new support thread for November - it's for everyone quitting this month.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-1-a.html

you can do this

D
Old 11-01-2018, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like everyone said.. Pour it out or donate back to the liquor store lol either way detach yourself mentally from the drink 🍸... it’s doing u no good... that voice of lies is all it is lies.. because our body feels something different... a temporary feel good then feel like hell most of the time. That’s literally the bargain we work with and in the end it’s just not worth all of it. I’m glad you’re back and best wishes to you for a new start on recovery.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How's it going today, scared? We're here for you.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This thread sounds like me. I think some people just reach that "time to stop" even if alcohol hasn't totally beaten them down. For me, it was something that I did every day, usually starting in the afternoon and lasting until bedtime.

For the past few years it just really became something that had no upside,..something that I did as a part of a long standing routine despite the fact that it was greatly diminishing my quality of life.

I would pour the liquor out. There's no good reason to flirt with temptation. I really don't have the urge to drink right now. But if there was a bottle of vodka in the house I would eventually start using it up.