SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Pet Therapy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/433688-pet-therapy.html)

teatreeoil007 11-01-2018 08:49 PM

Pet Therapy

How many of you have pets or service dogs?

I know Least loves his dogs...

I'm big on this. I've seen it help so many people.

At the movies today there was a lady in front of us in line with a beautiful white German Shepard. I wanted to pet him so bad, but his "coat" said, 'Don't pet me, I'm working.' He was so cool, though. I have NO idea why she needed a service dog like that, but he went into the movies with her.

I've seen people almost completely change their mood whenever a pet is around. It just transforms people. I love it and I encourage people to get a dog if they are struggling with depression. They think it raises serotonin levels. I really think there is something to that.

Ghostlight1 11-01-2018 09:10 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

Lorie1482 11-01-2018 09:17 PM

Oh glad you brought this up ... pets can be wonderful for therapy.... that’s why I have my cat Bella she is a British shorthair and all cuddles when she wants to be lol... I feel she can be quite comforting when I feel down. I love her she’s part of my family. 😊

Fearlessat50 11-01-2018 09:20 PM

Interesting about serotonin levels. I bet it’s true. No dogs. But I have three cats and they keep our family sane. They give us so much love. Laughs too. Cats are silly creatures.

I do think they have helped me in sobriety too.

least 11-01-2018 09:35 PM

I know Least loves his dogs...
Actually, it's her dogs. I'm a she. :)

There are many reasons to have a service dog.

I've read about studies showing that petting a dog or cat can lower blood pressure. I know my dog and cats are good company for me and keep me from being lonely. :)

Guener 11-01-2018 10:33 PM

I love cats (and dogs!), and after careful consideration I'm getting two kittens in the next couple of weeks for companionship.

ChloeRose63 11-01-2018 10:35 PM

I have 5 cats. All rescued. Sometimes I wonder ...who rescued who!

Charli23 11-02-2018 12:34 AM

I have theee dogs , that are an absolute joy to come home to ! I had the horrible experience of having to get my fourth dog out to sleep a month ago and it sent me into a deep depression. Just bursting out crying in work and thinking about him non stop . But I know he is out of pain now. My poor baby. Without his brothers I don’t know what I’d do!

ChloeRose63 11-02-2018 01:08 AM

I had 5 Minpins. ( miniature dobermam pinchers).4 girls and a boy. Best time of my life. All but one died in my arms. One was 'put to sleep' w/o my permission. It still hurts me to this day.

Charli23 11-02-2018 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 (Post 7046191)
I had 5 Minpins. ( miniature dobermam pinchers).4 girls and a boy. Best time of my life. All but one died in my arms. One was 'put to sleep' w/o my permission. It still hurts me to this day.

it’s so sooo tough! But try to remember the good times. X

MantaLady 11-02-2018 07:02 AM

Whilst I was in active addiction I would get really depressed and think that ending my life would be the best thing I could do for me and everyone else. I’d get drunk and obsess about it all being over so I could find some peace and stop the pain. My cats saved me, if it wasn’t for Oliver and Nancy I am not sure I would still be here. I couldn’t bear the thought of abandoning them or them going to a sanctuary and not finding a living home. Some people might think it’s silly but when I was alone and had no-one to turn to they were always there for me and gave me cuddles and company. xx

Hevyn 11-02-2018 07:14 AM

Hi teatreeoil :)

I was still drinking when we got an English Mastiff puppy (years ago). She was so precious, & so trusting - I felt bad that I wasn't giving her the attention she deserved. I was short tempered & not a fun person ;). It was great to ditch the poison and become the real me.

I think pets play a huge role in our overall well being.

Jim1958 11-02-2018 07:22 AM

I agree I have a cat and she is company and also give a person something to do and take care of. Alcohol made me very depressed and having a cat to take care of helped. There are tons of cats that need adopting and if you take an older cat they will be more relaxed and you will be doing the shelter a favor. And yourself one too!

Anna 11-02-2018 07:38 AM

I adore my cat. He calms me and always makes me smile.

MantaLady 11-02-2018 08:04 AM

Absolutely Jim! #adoptdontshop

Oliver was 18 years old when I adopted him, he lived till he was 21 and passed earlier this year. Everyone wanted kittens and young ones, he’d been in the shelter for a year. He was the best!

dpac414 11-02-2018 09:20 AM

I’ve had two cats - one was a crusty old grey kitty named Max who meowed like he was a chain smoker and liked to pretend the only reason he was sitting next to you was by coincidence. I loved my old man. He saved me when I was in college and so depressed I could barely get out of bed and get myself to class. He passed away from neurological issues. We both gave each other better lives, as he would have gone to a shelter had I not adopted him and he was at the age where no one would want him. I loved him with all I had.

I now have the sweetest little Siamese kitty I also adopted named Mimosa (ironic much?) who is a snuggle head and loves to play and sit on your face 24/7. The kind of cat who starts purring even if you just look at her. She’s the best part about coming home and we spend tons of quality time together. I also love her more than anything. She’s my buddy.

I’m not really religious, but I believe some things are brought to us when we need them most and I definitely believe that about Max and now Mimosa.

I love hearing about people’s pets. They bring such joy and just want to love you in the purest way possible. :’)

PalmerSage 11-02-2018 09:33 AM

I adopted 2 rescue dogs when I was 4 months sober. They have been such an amazing gift to my sobriety, and at the same time, they are a lot of work which should not be taken lightly! If I had to do it over again, I think I may have waited until I was a little more stabilized, but overall it's been great.

entropy1964 11-02-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 7046127)
Actually, it's her dogs. I'm a she. :)

There are many reasons to have a service dog.

I've read about studies showing that petting a dog or cat can lower blood pressure. I know my dog and cats are good company for me and keep me from being lonely. :)

Haha. When I read that I thought "and here I thought Least was a chick all this time....." Ok, you are a chick, not a dude.

thomas11 11-02-2018 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 (Post 7046441)
Haha. When I read that I thought "and here I thought Least was a chick all this time....." Ok, you are a chick, not a dude.

ditto for me.

thomas11 11-02-2018 09:55 AM

I have a golden retriever who I am sure was sent from heaven. I hate to admit this but when I was going through withdrawals I would watch him sleep because he slept so peacefully. It would help keep me calm.