Thread: Pet Therapy
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Pathwaytofree

I have dogs. I've loved animals since I was very little. I lit up like a Christmas tree anytime I saw a dog. I knew all the dogs' names in my neighborhood.

My dogs helped me a lot during my recovery. Just being around their energy was a comfort. Taking them for walks, brushing them, snuggling them, or just sharing a room with them while writing my 4th step was so nice.

Perhaps the woman at the movies had something very traumatic happen to her and has panic attacks when out. Or maybe she gets seizures and the dog is there to warn her. Whenever I see a service dog, I ask if I can pet them. Sometimes if they're not working and just being trained, the person wants them to be pet in order to socialize them. But if the dog is working, then usually they're not supposed to be pet. Although I'm not positive about this.

My previous psychiatrist was a big proponent of people having therapy dogs. He saw firsthand the difference it made in people suffering from depression or anxiety and other conditions.

I noticed from an early age what's special about dogs/animals and how different they are from people. Dogs live in the moment. They don't play mind games. They don't create drama, chaos, or abuse. Dogs are very simple. They eat, sleep, play, do their business, like to socialize, and be close to their pack. They ask for so little, yet give so much without realizing it.

As long as I am able, I always want to have a dog. I don't like all dogs, though. I can't deal with yappy, loud, high strung, messed up in the head type of dogs. I'm just not equipped to handle that type of dog. I like ones who are calm, playful, and affectionate.