Notices

I came close, but lost the battle. The worst has happened.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Impressive attitude, seems to me like the most important thing for you to have is a perspective on what is coming your way.

Keep it up and let us know how it goes. Best of luck.
​​​​​​
Old 02-10-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

It is good to hear from you, rich. I have thought about you. I am glad you have an excellent and compassionate attorney! Even though this mess would not have happened without your actions, I am very sorry for your struggles. This could have been me, and perhaps others here. I was one of the lucky ones.

It is good to see you being hopeful and Sharing your story with others, who will hopefully learn from this.

Whatever comes your way, even if the worst, a brief time in prison, has to happen, there is still a good life out there for you, you can make changes, you can inspire others.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Hi Rich, I just read through all this. I’m thinking that some broke ribs and bruises from an accident and a dui charge, $45,000 in hospital fees..... I know a woman whose husband broke 3 of her ribs, he stomped her badly, she was bruised head to toe , guy got probation and woman 3 days of pain medication and sent home from the hospital. Why would a domestic abuser get off lightly without any medical bills yet a DUI and the systems “well you could have killed someone” gets you years in prison and you are hit with all the medical expenses. Seems unfair, you legitimately did not have intentions of harming someone, yet domestic abusers get a slap on the wrist and in full consciousness harm their partner. Sorry, to go off on a tangent about this but it bothers me. I’m hoping the court sees you’ve taken step to overcome your problems with alcohol, you genuinely feel awful and extreme guilt for the harm to others. Keep us posted and stay strong.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rich624 View Post
Everyone here has been absolutely magnificent. I read all of your posts and it is encouragement in a sea of despair.
I appreciate the support. I am still waiting on the letter to subpoena medical records after five months.
The lawyer I have now has been absolutely wonderful. She answers e-mails at 10:00 PM, she answers her phone and has been magnificent.
She worries about me because I am such a sad sac.
She is very experienced in these matters and has lost some of her confidence that I won't go to prison.
I am still struggling with all of this, but , whatever comes my way, I deserve it.
Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I read every post and I appreciate you all.
Richard
It's good to see you around, Rich! I hope you can get minimal/no prison time but you have the correct outlook on it. You're taking responsibility for what you did, that's important. More punishment won't help the victim nor you but at this point the system will have to be navigated.

The really important thing is to control what you can control. Best wishes to you!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you're feeling positive about your new lawyer, rich. Stay strong and sober.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:26 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say hi Rich, hope you're doing well.😊
Old 02-17-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hey.

I'm glad to see you posting updates. I think it quite therapeutic to have a place like this for you to speak your mind and vent/ cope with the anxiety of the situation.

It's impressive to see you take the responsibility and do the things you need to do to keep moving forward. Changing attorneys was a big deal and a very smart move.

I came close to your situation - very close. The thought of it still shakes me to this day. I feel a great amount of empathy about where you are right now. I spent enough time dealing with the legal and corrections part of the world to know a bit of what's what.

As odd as it may seem. Embrace it. All of it. Let go of everything you know and everything you were and soak in everything that is coming your way. 4 years sucks, but in the grand scheme it's not forever - you have and you will have a ton of living to do and it can be good living... very good living. In a way, losing everything is a gift few get to experience.

And, you didn't kill anyone. In time make sure you work on learning to forgive yourself. You deserve that and will deserve it even more after you pay your dues. There will come a point where you will have paid. And at that point you will only owe yourself forgiveness... you will owe no one nothing. That time isn't now, but it will come. And you - as part of rebuilding your dignity - need to start acknowledging that after you pay your dues you deserve to be whole again.

You have a great life waiting for you. A few years of very intense and abrupt change and intensity. But you have an opportunity few get. I joke with people in my life that 'if you haven't been to jail you aren't living.' People always laugh in an uncomfortable way. But the truth is I'm not joking. I changed in ways I could not have if I had not gone through the hell I went through. I wouldn't change it for the world. The trials that we face really can harden our character. And there are some trials and some aspects of character that can't be hardened - some experience that can't be earned - without going to some of the darkest places a man can go.

The world at large might not understand that and might not care. But so what? This is a great opportunity for you to dive deep into yourself and learn things few get the chance to learn or experience. So yea, embrace it. All of it - especially the suck.

Keep moving forward bud. One step at a time.

You have a lot of living to do yet. And you are going to have one hell of a set of experiences to live that life with.

Best to you. Keep posting. Feel free to reach out anytime.

-B
Old 03-01-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Just to let you know we're still thinking about you Rich and hoping for the best for you and all concerned.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
Failure is a bruise - not a tattoo - well done for posting - you have it in you to recover and you'll do it
Spectacular comment.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Rich,

Prayers.

Imo..you have the right mindset. Move forward. 4 or 5 years is not as long as it could have been.

My addiction is from years of alcohol abuse as a youngster until I was 50. The crave is for life. We addicts have brain damage that makes us want to get high.

It is ridiculous really. Why would I want to escape reality. We only have a short time on this planet, why not be present for as much of it as I can.

Your story has helped me strengthen my stance to never ever drink again.
Me too. Why I had never killed or maimed anyone while drunk and behind the wheel...I don’t know. But his story is for me too. ❤️
Old 04-20-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Still thinking of you Rich. You're not forgotten.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

This could have easily been me. I'm lucky to have never hurt anyone driving under the influence. I'm also lucky to have never been pulled over while driving under the influence.

It's not a question of if, but when. I'm sorry for you, Rich, and for the person you hurt that it came to this; but you should know that you've reinforced my sobriety.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:04 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear this Rich. Glad you changed lawyers. Everyone almost is guilty of drink driving even non alcoholics. Hope you are doing okay. All you can do is go with the flow now. One step at a time.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Rich, I am still keeping my fingers crossed for everyone involved, you especially and am hoping against hope that the worst hasn't happened. There will be a lot of people on SR who feel the same. I would love to see another post from you if that is possible.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hi RIch - I've read all of your posts and they shook me to my core. I know that this could have easily been me and I've made the decision not to ever drink again (as a few wise people have mentioned in this thread).

Please keep us informed as to your disposition, legally, emotionally, and your general outlook for the future.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

You have a disease that caused major consequences. It’s very unfortunate. This is exactly why I’m doing my best to stop drinking now because at any moment, this disease can cause major damage. Thank you for your posts.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Rich,

Thank you for sharing your story. My heart goes out to you and I wish you the very best outcome, which includes sobriety. For all of us.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You're not forgotten here Rich. Best wishes.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

This is exactly why I am in recovery. I also recently had a dui accident with injury. I got off very lucky, maybe Rich will too. But my God, after being in jail several times after 4 DUIs, a severe accident where I kill someone is my worst nightmare.

i hope Rich is well and not drinking. This thread rattled me to my core. I’m 21 days sober and could not be more grateful.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Every fine this thread shows up I hope Rich is posting an update. Thinking about you Rich, and sending so much love!