Notices

I came close, but lost the battle. The worst has happened.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rich
if you want to start again just send me a PM and let me know.

D
Old 09-18-2019, 09:17 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I'm no Perry Mason, but seeing as it's a DUI case, it seems to me at some point the state prosecutor or the judge will ask you whether you are still drinking.

Again, I haven't seen my law degree around lately, but I would think whether or not you are drinking would have some bearing on your ultimate sentence.

(I know you basically disinvited me from this conversation and got about ten likes for doing so, but I thought I'd take one last stab at helping out a struggling drinker, although I'm making a big assumption that this is helpful.)
Old 09-18-2019, 09:42 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rich624 View Post
I have said I am not doing well, and we all know what this means.
I do not see the reason to spell out exactly what I am talking about, when we all know what I am talking about, especially when it can be used against me at some point.
Can someone explain the desperate desire to know this?
Makes no sense and honestly, I think will not come here again until this is all resolved.
Thank you all, I will see you again when there is some resolution to my problem.
Rich, my opinion is that the majority of people here truly care about you and your well being. Having said that, the membership consists of people at various stages of wellness and many are dealing with their own demons so to speak. Given your legal situation I think you are wise not to disclose information that may be detrimental to your case. In my perception you are not off base in your desire to protect yourself. I like the suggestion of registering with a different screen name solely for the purpose of getting support in your sobriety. I hope you do whatever serves you best, protects your legal interests as well as your emotional well being and sobriety. Sincerely rooting for you.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:59 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Sorry, and I appreciate you amateur psychologists diagnosing me , but no matter what you thing, or how open I should be, I am facing 4 years in prison. I think that over rides your desire to know what and how much alcohol I consume. I told everyone I would be an open book when my problem has been resolved. What is "bizarre" is the repeated requests for information that could potentially harm my situation, when I would be happy to share that when there is no danger of sharing it. I think it is time to end this post and start again.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats pretty much the opposite reaction I was aiming/hoping for.

I reckon you staying sober would be a great aid when you have your eventual appearance in court, as well as all the other benefits we try and share about here.

but...whatever you decide about SR I wish you the best Rich and I'm sure everyone else does too.

D
Old 09-18-2019, 10:16 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Thank you and good bye.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Rich, it is a year almost to the day since your first post so I am guessing more than a year now since the accident. I'm not a lawyer but I do think that by now you would have heard something from the victim's lawyer about the nature of their injuries and the nature of any charges against you. The fact that you don't seems tentatively hopedul to my mind. I want you to know I do care about how things go and I want you to get well so I hope you will keep posting and ignore any intrusive posts.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:50 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I hope you stay around and see that support getting and staying sober is so helpful. Drinking isnt solving or helping anything really. I agree a new screen name for stopping drinking support is a great one. I hope you Do want to stop drinking .
Old 09-19-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hi Rich,

Ive read this entire thread now and wanted to make a few points.

First, thanks so much for posting your story regardless of how hard that was. You have undoubtedly helped others who decided to not drink and drive because of your story, or others (like me) who read your story and it reinforced that we need to stop drinking. There is real positive value in that.

Second, I am somewhat shocked you still haven’t been charged yet (or indicted) whatever the term is. It’s been about a year and if I’m understanding things right, the police (or DA’s office) still hasn’t subpoenaed your medical records from the hospital that took the blood sample? That is ridiculous to me. Doing something like that for the DA’s Office is so routine they probably have a form ready to go and just need to plug your name in.

I interpret all of this to mean that for whatever reason your DUI case is just not a priority for the police or DA, which is a good thing for you. While stressful for you no doubt, I think no news is actually good news. I’m guessing your lawyer agrees.

Third, my own thought is that people aren’t being “intrusive” with their questions. The whole point of this website (I think) is to help people quit their drinking. So if you’re here, people are going to ask if you’re still drinking since that’s the goal. It’s a legitimate (albeit tough) question that will be asked.

If you are still drinking, I’d recommend you go back and read that letter you wrote back on p. 2 or 3. It was really good. Also, there are a lot of people on this very thread who have admitted to multiple DUIs. I think you need to give some thought on this point: it’s not a foregone conclusion that this first DUI arrest has taught you the lesson to never drink and drive again. One way to look at all of this is that you were lucky this time around because you didn’t kill anyone. Physical injuries can heal and can be compensated with using insurance money. I realize your sober self will probably never drink and drive again. But do you’re trust your drunk self to do the right thing 100% of the time? I know I surely didn’t.

Anyway, I wish you the best. Thanks again for sharing your story.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I read about mandatory minimums for this type of charge, and that is very scary. Remember Mandela served 27 years in prison and went on to become president of South Africa. People do time and do survive even if the very worse happens. I can’t imagine how you feel and the fear. We are here for you and wish you well. I’ve read every post in this thread. We all post here because we do care and it could have and could be anyone of us in your shoes.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

First off, I would like to apologize to everyone here for my behavior most recently. It has been atrocious.
I do welcome everyone's input, and ColoradoRocky, I do welcome your input as well.
The pressure of knowing that every day that goes by, means whatever is going to happen is almost here, has been unbearable.
I work contract jobs, and the anxiety was to the point, I could not function. I had to leave the role because I was unable to focus, and do the job. Big mistake, but I just could not perform.
I really do appreciate everyone's input.
When I can, I will provide any information anyone wants about my current situation.
I welcome all input. I just had my 60th birthday, and it is getting harder and harder to find roles, and once you are in the contract world, it is almost impossible to get out, so, I may never work in IT again.
It should be illegal to put someone through this, but I created this situation, it is my own fault.
Thanks to everyone for caring, it really means a lot, and I apologize again for my attitude, which was because I knew what you were saying was correct.
I will keep in touch.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:19 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I’m glad you posted Rich. Your nervousness is completely understandable. Try to keep working as much as possible. Work could be a productive distraction while waiting for the outcome. Work, AA, volunteering, keeping clean and showing the sober, well adjusted, repented side of you will make this incident look like an extremely unfortunate one time incident and not your character to the court. Your story really does keep so many of us from drinking and driving. I think about your story every time I consider slipping, I could easily end up in your shoes if I drink again.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

rich, it’s good to see you.
i hope you will find ways to relieve the stress you are under, ways that are not booze-related.
i don’t know if you’ve considered peer support of various kinds in “real life”, but you might find that useful and depending on where you live, it comes in very different forms.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:33 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We just want you to have some peace of mind.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:43 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi Rich,

I’m glad you posted as well. Just wanted to let you know I’m thinking about you, and hoping you have a resolution soon, and can move on with your life.

Sending big hugs your way.

❤️Delilah
Old 09-28-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

It's brave of you to share your story, Rich. You will get through this!
Old 09-28-2019, 11:30 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Rich, keep close.

There’s so much support here on SR to help you know you’re not alone and you can get through this, from people like us, who ‘get’ us.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
~sb

so, are ya drinking now?
Old 09-29-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hi rich

I can’t imagine the pressure you’ve been living with for so long.

I’m glad you are back and sending you support.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm glad you're posting Rich, it must be sheer hell but as HarryLime's post stated your case is clearly not a priority which seems like a reason for hope. Hang in there, this won't last forever.