Notices

Day 2 first challenge

Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 first challenge

I’m not sure if I’m using the forum correctly by starting a new thread when I have one below. So please forgive me. I just need some encouragement right now...

It’s day 2 and work is over. But normal ritual is head to the pub, then buy some more alcohol for the train and home. I avoided the pubs and the shops (which felt almostly physically exhausting to go against the instinct). I’m on my train and I’m hungry, tired, exhausted and close to tears. As much as I thought I would be proud of myself for avoiding temptation between work and the station... all I can think about is getting some wine to glug down as soon as I’m home. Part of me is thinking ‘no I wont’ but the urge to is so strong, i don’t entirely trust myself
Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fresh, you're not alone. I've had a really miserable day, wanting to drink. I'm just on day 12. I had a similar miserable day last Wednesday. Then I had some much easier days. But today has been wretched and exhausting. But if we get through these tough days, 1) we will get on to mostly easier days, and 2) we will know we can get through days like this when we encounter them again.

Yes, I know the feeling of just wanting to burst into tears. I have felt that today.

Hang in there.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Freshstartagain View Post
I’m on my train and I’m hungry, tired, exhausted and close to tears.
Common relapse triggers are captured in the acronym HALT: Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

Sounds like you need to address two when you get home.

Eat and go to bed!

Congrats on day 2.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Michael! Hang in there too! You’ve done so well so far - 12 days is a long time when bad days feel this long.

Bring on the easier days!

Originally Posted by Michael2018 View Post
Fresh, you're not alone. I've had a really miserable day, wanting to drink. I'm just on day 12. I had a similar miserable day last Wednesday. Then I had some much easier days. But today has been wretched and exhausting. But if we get through these tough days, 1) we will get on to mostly easier days, and 2) we will know we can get through days like this when we encounter them again.

Yes, I know the feeling of just wanting to burst into tears. I have felt that today.

Hang in there.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That’s so true. I like that acronym a lot. I’m trying to focus more on what I’ll have for dinner than how much I could do with a drink.

Food then bed!

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Common relapse triggers are captured in the acronym HALT: Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

Sounds like you need to address two when you get home.

Eat and go to bed!

Congrats on day 2.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first week or so is difficult, no way around it. But stay sober one day at a time and it will get better.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its fine to start a new thread everyday if you like freshstart

day 2 is great - but still very early in the piece - it will get better and easier I promise LOL