Notices

Class of September 2018 Part One

Old 09-21-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Right now is the time I would normally drive to the grocery store to restock the fridge for the weekend. I would buy at least a couple of cases with cash. Since I didn't go I have extra cash in my wallet. That's a nice perk of not drinking.

I need to get rid of my favorite beer glasses because every single time I open up my cabinet to get a dish I see them and it's really bugging me to see them. I might use that extra cash to buy a new set of drinking glasses and a few unique glasses to drink special non alcoholic drinks out of. I just don't need to see those glasses right now. There are a lot of memories attached to them. It's a bigger deal than it should be but I can't help it.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bumboid View Post
Hillhiker... I smashed my favourite personalised wine glass on purpose the other day. I won't be needing it again. I also poured a couple of bottles of wine away. I cannot have alcohol in the house. It's too easy.
Smashing them on purpose sounds like a great idea right about now!!!!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

I didn't smash them all but I did move them. I can't tell you how strange I felt moving them to our party room. We have a fully stocked bar in there. We entertain a lot for various reasons and there is everything from 20 year old bourbon to Miller Lite to every kind of mixer you can think of. Every time I go in there with an empty glass, and I do mean EVERY SINGLE TIME, I walk out with a full glass. But not this time.

It felt strange. It wasn't hard this time just really odd. I was like wow, how many times have I walked out of here ticked off that I grabbed another drink? How many times did I sneak in there over the years? How much money have I spent making sure it was fully stocked with my favorite drink so no one would notice how much I had during the week? I was calm. Almost too calm. Maybe I was emotional???

Anyway...I'm glad to be out of there. It had a bad vibe today.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Good job on hanging on and saying sober. The open bar in the house seems a little dangerous tho...
Old 09-21-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Day 5... a little too much time to think today but doing well.

Made a grocery run today and the thought did not enter my mind for a second, even when looking at the aisle displays. But it has been a long, quiet afternoon... need to keep myself busier.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Day 7 done. Checking in. Hope everyone is well tonight.
I am so tired, I don’t even have the energy to snack tonight!
Good night and see you all tomorrow. ��
Old 09-21-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Thanks for the nice welcome, Dee!

I have a huge backlog of work and need to go into the office tomorrow (Saturday). Also did get my son's cold. In addition, had a muscle pull in my back that was spasming. Also, got a migraine today! However, in spite of all of these things, I still feel better than I did when drinking! This was really eye opening to realize this. We can cope with anything with a clear, sober mind.

Going to try to sleep... happy weekend to all.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:02 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Juno - I hope your migraine, back and cold clear up very quickly, especially the migraine and back spasms.

I'm actually feeling really quite bright this morning. Probably the brightest I have felt in a couple of years. The last time I got sober I sunk into a mild depression for three to four months. This time, despite pretty bad cravings at times, I seem to be escaping that. Feeling good helps me to remember that the struggle of giving up is not just about avoiding really bad consequences of alcohol, but is also about getting to a really positive place.

I hope you all have a great start to the weekend.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:06 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by citygirl30 View Post
Day 7 done. Checking in. Hope everyone is well tonight.
I am so tired, I don’t even have the energy to snack tonight!
Good night and see you all tomorrow.
Well done citygirl.

Our bodies and minds seem to really take time to recover.

Don't feel guilty about just resting.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:10 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hillhiker View Post
I didn't smash them all but I did move them. I can't tell you how strange I felt moving them to our party room. We have a fully stocked bar in there. We entertain a lot for various reasons and there is everything from 20 year old bourbon to Miller Lite to every kind of mixer you can think of..
It would just be a matter of time before I reached for a drink if I lived there. Are you sure you'll be OK always having alcohol in the house, and would you be willing to have no alcohol in the house if you found you had to?
Old 09-22-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Saturday group!

I am getting ready to go back to visit my family next week, this is normally a huge trigger for me, and I usually cave in and drink.

I am now writing out a plan to stay sober for the week long visit...

Stay close to SR
Get a visitors pass for a local gym
Bring along my meditation CD's
Remind myself daily why being sober is always better than drinking
Let myself feel all of the emotions of my family dynamics, stop hiding from them

I can do this, I have to do this...thanks for listening.

WF

Today I will not drink, and I will be OK
Old 09-22-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Day 4 here. I was around people drinking last night. No one noticed or said a word about me not having a drink.

This is the first day I have been hangover free on a Saturday in at least a decade! I'm drinking coffee because I want to not because I need to this morning.

I can understand everyones concern about me having so much alcohol in the house. If I ever need to I will throw it all out. I don't like hard liquor so none of that tempts me at all. Even if I would run out of beer while drinking I wouldn't even touch that stuff. It's as of I'm only addicted to lite beer....a LOT of lite beer. There are 9 of "my" beers in there and I am refusing to be the one that drinks them.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hillhiker View Post
I can understand everyones concern about me having so much alcohol in the house. If I ever need to I will throw it all out. I don't like hard liquor so none of that tempts me at all. Even if I would run out of beer while drinking I wouldn't even touch that stuff. It's as of I'm only addicted to lite beer....a LOT of lite beer. There are 9 of "my" beers in there and I am refusing to be the one that drinks them.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!
I am exactly like you... I have only drank light beer and I think it is because I wanted to maintain a moderate level of buzz for a long period of time. Naturally, it never works and it catches up with me. Of course, the intake had progressively increased over the years and was not sustainable by a long shot.

My wife's liquor is still in the house but I am not tempted by it... but I did dump the remaining drinks that would tempt me just to get that out of my consciousness.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all!
Day 8 underway. Woke up with an awful headache, different but worse than a hangover. Pushed myself to the gym anyway though. Feeling much better now.
I am feeling hungry for the first time in ages. It is not because I didn’t eat much while I was drinking, but more that when I was drinking I also over eight in the evening and went to bed on our way too full stomach . Now that I am sober and aware of my actions I am eating sensibly and eating regularly. I guess all in all this is a far more healthier lifestyle all around. Still very tired and thinkingba nice afternoon nap would be perfect. I hope to get around to reading much more on this forum later today and tomorrow. Wishing everybody here a happy and sober Saturday !
Old 09-22-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Day 17. Feeling miserable. Still royally bloated and stomach tender to the touch. I could barely move yesterday and laid in bed all day. I was able to get up today and get an Uber to the rental car place and go to work for 2 clients. Home now and getting in bed, putting a heating pad on my stomach. Sounds as if September group is doing well and progressing. I worry about alcohol in the house for those who have alcohol in the house. Taking 2 Advil PM and calling it a night. Hope to read Saturday night success stories tomorrow morning.....
Old 09-22-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Lulu, I wonder if you shouldn’t see a doc about that stomach? Sounds like something serious going on....gastritis? Whatever it is, I’m quite sure alcohol would not help at all. Proud of you for 17 days.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

I hope everybody is doing well tonight/today (depending on where you are).

I'm rounding out day 6. Had a nice surge of energy early in the day and kept myself busy with various projects/repairs I had been putting off, which took me all the way to right about now around bedtime.

So far, the cravings have been minimal, but I did have some minor cravings last night and earlier today. I notice they tend to get stronger when I'm told that I have the house to myself. Another trigger for me has always been airport bars, where I'm usually alone. I wonder if there is something to that.

Anyway, I will explore those thoughts more in time. Goodnight all.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

It definitely has been a challenging Saturday but it turned out well. Two more days in Wisconsin (Monday is the twins' volleyball tournament), then it is back to Illinois where I work and where I feel a lot less triggered. The family will be visiting me the next couple of weekends so I am feeling much more confident as I come out of my first week of sobriety.

As opposed to the last few attempts, I am checking this forum regularly and it is definitely helping in a big way this weekend. Thanks everyone!

I need some additional hobbies... any suggestions.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Morning all. Early Sunday morning here, and I've woken up with the start of a cold. At least im not mixing it with a hangover.

Lulu, I think we're on the same day I've stopped counting days for a little, just because it was sort of making me want to just get through days, rather than focusing on settling down and enjoying days. Not that I don't think people should count days if they want. It's just me I think - it made me feel that I was wishing my life away. I'm the odd one, I suspect! Sorry about your bloated abdomen - it does sound worth checking in with your doctor now. If its fluid retention in the abdomen you'll probably want to try and keep sodium intake low until you see your doctor, and avoid too high a fluid intake (i.e. don't be tempted to try to 'flush' things from your system). But please do go and get it checked out.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by orderfororder View Post
Another trigger for me has always been airport bars, where I'm usually alone. I wonder if there is something to that. Anyway, I will explore those thoughts more in time. Goodnight all.
This was one of the biggest triggers for virtually everyone in the rehab I went to and talking to the counsellors it was one of the most common ones for most alcoholics so you are not alone with this one! Being in an airport is great for the AV as for me at least it tries to convince me that the airport isn’t really part of the real world, it’s different somehow and what happens ther and also on a plane doesn’t really count. x