Notices

Class of September 2018 Part One

Old 09-18-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all,
4 days and tonight going out for dinner with boyfriend who has no clue I’m attempting sobriety. He knows I drink, but his friends and family drink heavier than I do. He had a few drinks maybe 10 times a year. I’m just going to say not in mood for wine. If I say I’m quitting he’ll say , “Just cut down and enjoy.” He doesn’t see me as a problem drinker. Not sure this is the right way of handling it but it’s the easiest for now!
Happy sober Tuesday all!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Welcome 1stepup, nmd, and rustygolf. I'm in the same camp as you. I was sober (nearly four years) and then relapsed (for two years - I know how to relapse). What matters is we are here now.

Citigirl. Could you tell your bf that you are trying a period sober? If he doesn't drink more ch he might be very happy to join you.

Hillhiker - welcome on board the battle bus. How are you?

Day 14 here. It was mostly OK until early evening. I was really tired and found myself really wanting to plan drinking tomorrow. I even got as far as putting my cash card back in my wallet 'just in case'. Anyway after some food and a rest I feel somewhat better and have removed the cash card again; I still don't trust myself to go out with cash or means of getting cash.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi Michael,

I also don't trust myself in certain situations, and avoid them altogether.

Restaurants that serve booze
Sporting events that serve booze
Festivals that serve booze
Friends that serve booze

So, I basically work and stay home. I was lucky to have a fun weekend with friends who don't drink.....I have very few non-drinking friends

Sobriety can feel like a lonely road. Thanks to SR we are never alone!!

Hang in there group..we've got this
Old 09-18-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

P.S. Miscounted. I am on day 12. I was obviously being optimistic about the next 2 days
Old 09-18-2018, 10:16 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Just a quick morning check in. I was a bit confused about day number yesterday. It's definitely day 14 today. I'm feeling OK. Not dreadful and not brilliant. I'll take OK.

Have a good day everybody. Look after yourselves.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:09 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
VBC

Day three...

I'm in...

Just found this site the other day.

Day three without a drink. Been drinking for about fifteen years. Really got bad when I lost my wife to cancer back in February.

Today was particularly tough because my son told me that he wanted to live with his mother instead of switching every other week. Nothing to do with anything I did (I didn't drink around him), she lives closer to the school (he's a senior) and he said it'd be easier on him because he was getting a job near the school. He doesn't drive so he figures he could walk to work from the school and then to her house after work. It would be too hard on him for me to pick him up after work and drive back to my house.

Not sure why I said all that. Took all I could not to go get something from the store. It's going to be real hard (or harder) if he moves in with his mom full time. I guess I needed to vent.

So, when do I get to sleep? 😂 Haven't slept more than a few hours in three days.

Oh, and that thing called eating? Wouldn't mind that either but I can't stomach anything other than water. Guess that would explain the bathroom 🚽 issues. That's getting old too.

And the itching? Literally. Everywhere. Feels like I've got things crawling all over me. I've read that sometimes that takes weeks to go away?

Thanks for listening.

VBC
Old 09-19-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Day 14. Still bloated. Working out a lot....and finally started sweating. First week I barely broke a sweat and now it's a lot (I wonder if it's due to the timing of quitting alcohol and the body holding onto the water in the beginning stages?) Haven't posted in a couple of days due to long shifts....but WOW, a lot of new classmates here. Welcome and glad you have arrived! One thing I can say is that today is so much better than day 1, 2, and 3. Those first days are anxiety panic fear feel like being run over. Still in a bit of a "I can't believe I'm in this mess" mode. It royally sucks, but I push myself to workout almost everyday. This booze gut it not budging yet. It's really frustrating. And the extra pounds I packed on hurts....and I feel it jiggling when I'm on the treadmill. Alcohol.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Good morning, class. Waking up to Day 5 here. I am doing well. Finally got some decent sleep last night. I have several big home projects going on and a husband that is gone a lot so it mostly all falls on me to arrange, supervise, etc. which can be stressful. One big project got done yesterday and I felt that old pull to "celebrate" with a bottle of wine, but it was pretty easy to ignore, being that my last bout with alcohol-induced misery was less than a week ago.

Lulu - I am with you needing to get rid of the extra pounds and the bloat, which I really see in my face. I feel like I gained 10 lbs in a week and yet I know it will take whole lot longer than that to take it off. Just gotta keep plugging away at it.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Been a while since I have been here. I convinced myself during the early summer weeks that I could handle drinking on the weekends, so long as it was beer and not liquor. While I did maintain it for a while, I soon found myself telling myself things like, "well, I didn't drink on Saturday, so I can make it up on Wednesday." And then, "a pint of vodka with some beers won't make a difference."

Sooner or later, it was back to everyday liquor drinking and all of the awful behavior that comes with it. And, man, do I feel like I am in a hole. Girlfriend left me, many friends and family won't speak to me, and I lost my job.

So, yeah, pretty bad tailspin. I am on day 3 so far. Got through the first two days with a lot of water and sleep. Now just applying to jobs voraciously and figuring out a plan.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

I didn't make it through day 2 but it's still September so I'm posting my day one in here again.

I made it to around 5 pm and then just made up a bunch of excuses to allow myself to make the choice that it was ok have a beer or 2. For me it is never just a beer or 2.

I think I need to fill 2:00 - 6:00 pm with some type of activity. That is the hardest time for me to stay focused. Maybe I'll exercise. I don't know yet.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Haven’t checked in for a few days as work has been busy. Day 11 for me and although I am absolute that I do not want to drink I keep catching myself thinking things like maybe I don’t really have a problem or just a few glasses of wine would be ok.

I’m trying to push the thoughts away and am staring a gym class tonight with a friend which I’m hoping will help me to feel better.

Hi to everyone on here including all those that posted for the first time in the last few days.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Sober date is 9/5/18.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

omg my head hurts, my body hurts, and my soul hurts, why cant i stop doing this to myself. Count me as day 1 here. My marriage is on the rocks, my health is terrible and i have to stop. I have too!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Hey Letsdance! It is my day one too, my second day one this week. We can do this! I get off work at 4 today and that is when my struggle will begin. I have a plan in place to distract myself tonight. Have you made a plan? I've read that can help.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Day three almost done so going to bed soon. I think I've probably had withdrawal symptoms today as had a headache and upset stomach all afternoon but kids are ill with a cold so maybe I've just caught that from them. Hoping I'll feel refreshed tomorrow when I wake up. Been making some plans for the weekend which is quite liberating as I usually have in the back of my mind I might be hungover so would keep a day free of commitments.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Glad I've been working out. My key would not come out of the ignition and engine couldn't be shut off. Spent about 1/2 hour trying to jiggle the key out....but apparently it is STUCK. Drove it to dealership and it will take 10-14 days (part takes awhile to get). In the meantime...I'm pumping up my bike tires and gonna ride to my client's homes (hence the workouts I hope will help me physically). Going for a test run in about 30 minutes to see if I can do it. Wish me luck. This keeps my mind off the booze and focused on the challenge of hills and miles to ride. Haven't been on bike in years. I'll let you know how it goes. Hope ya'll are staying focused and sober.

Welcome to all the new classmates. I just noticed more joined since earlier this morning. You're in the right place. Just keep posting and reading. I'm at 2 weeks and honestly I am so happy I've made it this far....
Old 09-19-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Good to read that so many are doing so well, and welcome to the newcomers! Long travel day for me today and looking forward to a nice cup of tea and early bedtime.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

I had a rough day at work but wisely decided to work out then meet up with some non-drinking friends tonight rather than isolate myself. It worked! I feel much better... feeling relaxed and very tired. I should sleep well tonight.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

Morning check-in here. I wish I could say this is easy, but it's not. I have a lot of work pressure at the moment and lots of cravings on my way home from work, but I do have a retreat to look forward to from next Wednesday.

Welcome orderfororder, letssdance, and VBC. Please stick around.

hillhiker - well done for getting back on the wagon.

birdie - I'm glad you had some good sleep. My sleep is pretty dreadful at the moment. Last time I got sober it took me about three months to get back in to good sleep, so I'm just accepting that it will be rubbish for a while, and if it sorts itself out faster then that will be a bonus.

thesunisshining - I know those types of thoughts well. Just a few drinks. Maybe just one day getting 'nicely drunk', and then back on the wagon. They are the thoughts that kept me trapped in relapse for two years.

longlady - Well done on day 3. I hope the headaches clear now.

lulu - Don't you just hate cars! I went out last night and found I had a flat tyre. I need to go and get that fixed tomorrow.

yinzer - I hope your travel went well. I find travelling more tiring as I get older.

TeeJayVerm - well done on not drinking after a tough day at work. That's my main trigger I have to watch out for. I find work days harder than weekends because at the end of the day I just want to go for a beer (and then of course one beer leads to another....). I drink to 'relax', but then always overshoot.

Bumboid - You can do this!

Have a good day everybody.

Today I choose not to drink.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome letsdance
Hope it works out LuluBread

D