Notices

End of Journey

Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Hi Cotwo, I climbed to the top of the mountain peak after more than twenty years of drinking, daily, the last five of which I drank all day; so a pretty strong addiction. After trying meetings, I joined SR and found a permanent abstinence based recovery method, which suited me, because after losing so many years to addiction, I had no wish to swop it for another.

Once at the mountain peak, when I stopped drinking forever 9 September 2016, I threw ropes down to other newbies who were struggling, mostly in Secular Connections, sometimes the Newcomers and Alcoholism forums. I found it increasingly difficult though, because I wasn’t counting days and attending meetings, and was met with resistance and negativity that one couldn’t ‘just stop drinking’ and that one required life-long Recovery and meetings.

But my experience proved otherwise, on the drinking front: it’s over. That’s not to say I’ve solved life’s problems and as I try to achieve life goals I’ve set myself (after years of stagnating and wallowing) I read self-help books and conduct research into how the brain works and how to optimise it for equanimity and the peace that engenders; and consequently I’m thriving, post-addiction.

To summarise after waffling, my stopping drinking forever was an event, or end of journey. Improving my life, post-addiction morass, is a wonderful new journey. Why am I still here? Not to stop drinking, but I hold out hope, as I read, that one day, I’ll find someone like I used to be, for whom my solution to quitting drinking, summarily, for ever, might work. But my reading time is limited as I rebuild my life and I don’t post as frequently as I used to. Plus I cut down on posting, after achieving my mountain summit, because I often felt as though I was shouting into the wind.
That was an excellent post. Very helpful in this period of confusion i am in at the moment.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

For the people attending meetings 15 years latter after non drinking, do you still need support?

IF a person is attending meetings for support 15 years in, then they should probably look for outside help.
the only reason people should be attending meetings after having gone through the steps,having recovered, and having had a spiritual awakening is to carry the message to the next ( or still) suffering alcoholic.

Step 12 forces you into life long service
not really. it would be a choice. this is where one part of the big book gets over looked:
None of us makes a sole vocation of this work, nor do we think its effectiveness would be increased if we did. We feel that elimination of our drinking is but a beginning. A much more important demonstration of our principles lies before us in our respective homes, occupations and affairs. All of us spend much of our spare time in the sort of effort which we are going to describe.

p.s.
i dont need a daily remonder nor do i look at helping other alcoholics as a daily reminder. i have recovered just as promised by the program. im no longer interested in alcohol nor fighting it. the problem i had with alcohol has been removed.

because i worked the steps.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
nez

I look at recovery as a gift that I have received not a chore. I was delivered from hell.

I loved skiing. I used to ski 100 days a year. My lifestyle centered around skiing. It dominated my thought processes. It was not hell though, quite the opposite. I haven't skiied in 10 years. Walking away from skiing was not a gift, it was a non-event.

LOL though because motorcycle riding is still an obsession. I ride 200 days a year. Walking away would be a chore.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I had an almost 60 year "addiction" to horses and recently gave them up. I understand your analogy to motorcycles. I hope you relax in your mind about your leaving alcohol behind you. It's okay, if it's like motorcycles then you are probably home free. Enjoy where you are and get on with your next adventure! If you need SR then we are here for you!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
I had an almost 60 year "addiction" to horses and recently gave them up. I understand your analogy to motorcycles. I hope you relax in your mind about your leaving alcohol behind you. It's okay, if it's like motorcycles then you are probably home free. Enjoy where you are and get on with your next adventure! If you need SR then we are here for you!
Oh yeah, i 100% need to be here right now, i am just hopeful in the future that i will have a choice to be here or not. I only have 5 months sober, so i need everything still.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by cotwo View Post
Oh yeah, i 100% need to be here right now, i am just hopeful in the future that i will have a choice to be here or not. I only have 5 months sober, so i need everything still.
You have a choice to be here or not right now ;-) And if you need to be here in the future that's fine too - but it wont' do you any good worrying about that now, will it?

Bottom line - if you do what you need to do now, things will be better later.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I mean you climb a mountain with a group. You get to the top of the mountain, sure your gonna want to help the group get to the top too. So you stand at the peak motivating people to push on. Will you stand at the top throwing ropes for the rest of your life? or would you eventually want to get off the mountain, and say the goal is accomplished, and move on to the next greatest thing to do.

This is what my brain has been circulating with at 5 months sober. Its crazy.

What a great. analogy !

Having no experience mountaneering ,... I imagine there is a period of learning the basics and building up endurance , strength ,...and the ability to retain composure under duress ,...etc .

The volunteers and instructors involved in the * learning * must have a spectrum of reasons for doing what they do .

Through the lens of AVRT ,.... which has it's own subforum here ,.... the permenantly sober person is free to persue whatever they choose going forward ,..... in other words ,...never mountain climb again if that's their choice .

I read some comments here at SR with great interest in a non-rational concept of the * good attracting the good *
Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Hi Cotwo, I climbed to the top of the mountain peak after more than twenty years of drinking, daily, the last five of which I drank all day; so a pretty strong addiction. After trying meetings, I joined SR and found a permanent abstinence based recovery method, which suited me, because after losing so many years to addiction, I had no wish to swop it for another.

Once at the mountain peak, when I stopped drinking forever 8/9 September 2016, I threw ropes down to other newbies who were struggling, mostly in Secular Connections, sometimes the Newcomers and Alcoholism forums. I found it increasingly difficult though, because I wasn’t counting days and attending meetings, and was met with resistance and negativity that one couldn’t ‘just stop drinking’ and that one required life-long Recovery and meetings.

But my experience proved otherwise, on the drinking front: it’s over. That’s not to say I’ve solved life’s problems and as I try to achieve life goals I’ve set myself (after years of stagnating and wallowing) I read self-help books and conduct research into how the brain works and how to optimise it for equanimity and the peace that engenders; and consequently I’m thriving, post-addiction.

To summarise after waffling, my stopping drinking forever was an event, or end of journey. Improving my life, post-addiction morass, is a wonderful new journey. Why am I still here? Not to stop drinking, but I hold out hope, as I read, that one day, I’ll find someone like I used to be, for whom my solution to quitting drinking, summarily, for ever, might work. But my reading time is limited as I rebuild my life and I don’t post as frequently as I used to. Plus I cut down on posting, after achieving my mountain summit, because I often felt as though I was shouting into the wind.
Yes, great post. And thanks for the thread cotwo.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Great discussion here on this thread! I will throw my 2 cents in because I come from a slightly different perspective.

First off, as far as I can tell and from what I've read I'm not an alcoholic - meaning I can drink one or two cocktails per month when I'm out to dinner and that's it. You can say that I've either 1) been able to moderate or 2) I don't have a problem with alcohol - whichever you like.

So then why am I on SR reading and posting almost daily and replying to this thread?

Answer:
1. Primary reason: I believe that I'm at risk of becoming an alcoholic and I don't want to become one (i.e. it helps keep me vigilant).
2. Secondary reason: I feel as though I can identify with some of the stories and feelings that are represented in these posts.

Why do I feel I'm at risk of becoming an alcoholic?
1. Because of my past history of drinking heavily (decades ago)-
-getting a DUI when I was a teenager (no one was hurt) decades ago
-identifying with some of the drinking stories I've read here
-friends and family suggesting I had a drinking problem decades ago.
-feeling like I had a drinking problem decades ago.

2. History of drug and alcohol addiction and abuse in both my immediate and extended family.

3. My trauma history and subsequent PTSD that I have not yet addressed.

4. Recent events occur in my life (lost job, failed some exams etc.) that I believe make me susceptible to slipping into an alcoholic lifestyle.

5. I want to develop different coping mechanisms with stress than the ones I see members of my family chose. In other words - I don't want to be like them!

Anthony Bourdain has described himself as follows: "I understand that there's a guy inside me who wants to lay in bed, smoke weed all day, and watch cartoons and old movies. My whole life is a series of strategems to avoid, and outwit that guy."

How many of us can relate to that statement?

You could say that reading and posting on SR, or attending AA meetings (I do not do that) is a stratagem to outwit that tendency.

Am I paranoid? maybe. Am I being vigilant? I'd like to think so.

How long will I post near daily on SR? Not sure. Maybe until I address the PTSD or maybe until I've found a job or passed one of my exams.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey, cotwo. Good on you for 5 months. It's really early in your sober journey however, and you're thinking too far ahead, IMO; although I'm not an AAer 'one day at a time' resonates with me.
I had 15 years of sobriety before drinking again and it led me into 5 years of hell. I got complacent--I thought after all that time I'd figured it out and could have one or two occasionally--BIG mistake. I got sober again and after 3.5 years relapsed yet again. Now I am 2.5 years sober and feel very strong in my sobriety. Will I drink again? No, but I've said that before. Something is fundamentally different this time and one of the things that has helped me the most is this forum and the amazing people who have been so generous in sharing their experiences and strength and offering me hope--I could never repay the oldtimers for what they've done for me, so I'm paying it forward. I used to be a lurker but I've found telling my story and offering my perspective has helped me sort things out for myself--I want to give back the help I was given.
My personality is that of a helper, though--I've just started back to school to study social work--but we're all different. What I'm trying to say is don't overthink the future--sufficient for the day is its own trouble. As you gain more sober time, don't feel obligated to continue here. We all walk different paths. Wishing you all the best on yours.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

cotwo I can't thank you enough for opening this line of dialogue, at least for me you have brought me to another dimension of why we are here. SR intrigued me from the time I googled help for my drinking back in January. It has helped me as a check and balance of where I was, and how I can "do better" in my life. I have moments in the dark of night as I struggle with insomnia (whether drinking or not, no matter my sober time. Insomnia appears to be my nemesis). The good people on this forum are always there or so I feel in my mind when my life is so quiet at times it seems I have no one I can talk to, then I drop in either as a "lurker" or as a member. It gives me the freedom to ask for help if I need it or continue reading threads that offer both compassion or inspiration. You have given me so much to think about. I appreciate you have posted, responded, and shared.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Cotwo, I think I understand what you're saying, as I had similar feelings early on. I participated in AA very actively my first year, and worked the steps. When starting step 12, I was very conflicted for reasons somewhat similar to yours. As an introvert I often found meetings exhausting and didn't want to be locked into that. I wanted to help others, but not necessarily through step work.

I'm now at almost 4 years, and I don't go to meetings. I read here a few times a week, mostly because I enjoy it and have online friends here. I post sometimes, hoping something i say may be helpful.

The main key is exactly as you describe --- taking alcohol off the table, permanently.

Beyond that, I would just suggest conducting your own inquiry, and carefully, deliberately finding what is true for you. When I made changes to my approach, I took my time, read a ton of posts here on SR, read books, and experimented, exploring what was true for me. SR was a big help to me in this.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

cotwo, I think you ask a legitimate question. I was just talking this over today with my therapist - how some folks are lifelong members of a recovery group. And as I talked, I came up with three reasons that might be:
- a person feels that the program saved their life and they need to stay involved lest they lose that
- a person wants to be helpful to others and this is the route they choose
- it's a social thing

None of those reasons require that you be on board. And to my knowledge, no one asks you to sign a contract in any community-based program. I'd suggest that you do your own thing, read about other methods in Secular Connections, and don't worry about a lifetime right now. Redirect your thinking to does work for you today. The rest will have a way of working itself out.

O
Old 07-09-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

If will be sustainable for ever. I made the decision to never drink again, for any reason, with ZERO exceptions. Yes its not easy, but its not a choice any more, so the initial question was, does this Journey ever end? Not the drinking part, the thought of it. Even posting after having years of sobriety, is still being involved in addiction in some way. Seems there isn't away for addiction to completely go away.
I don't do much of anything anymore maintaining sobriety after almost three years, I just know I can't drink, no big deal, it feels better to be sober anyway and I'm usually pretty mellow now. It's only gonna be what you make it, 5 months ain't long enough I would think, around a year things seem to be smoothing out.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I just want to say thanks to all of you. I am overwhelmed with the amount of responses this topic has got in such a short period of time. All the posts are amazing, and it has helped me put things into perspective.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I see people in long time sobriety, still posting on forums, still attending meetings, still actively getting support. Does this journey ever end? Or is this a permanent screwing for life?

I can totally understand being 5 months sober, i need to do everything right now to stay on track, but in 5 years from now?

Do i really need to be on recovery websites, attending groups, STILL talking about alcohol every single day?

For the people attending meetings 15 years latter after non drinking, do you still need support? Don't you see it as a hassle, to have to get in your car, drive to a location, and discuss drinking, In that long period of time are you still thinking about there is a possibility that you will go back to drinking?

I am feeling agitated today, and thankful that my tools have been working for myself, but i cant phantom the idea of having to live the rest of my life lift this. I want the journey to recovery to end, with out relapsing. Am I being realistic?

If im not, im just not sure if i can live the rest of my life, with the constant thought of alcohol EVERY single day. The feeling is not in fear of relapse, i would find it super annoying to discuss a topic 5 years latter, then i no longer have in my life.
hm.....i have been sober some years and am here pretty much every day. contrary to the scenario you paint, i do not talk about alcohol every day; in fact i hardly ever talk about alcohol or think about it.
i do contemplate alcoholism quite often, though.

i don't need support as such, but do believe that supporting others ( or trying to, anyway) is helpful to me on many levels.

if you are having constant thoughts of alcohol every day, wow, that sounds like an incredibly torturous struggle. you might want to check around and see what those folks are doing who seem to NOT have that struggle going on....and then check those options out for yourself.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi,
All I can share is my own experiences. My day ends with coming here to SR to check in, no matter what, and it's something that I love doing. Along with my meetings, talking about the 12 Steps & Principals at home, heck ya! Excited about Marathons, Conventions that we'll be able to see Sober friends, everyday life Sober....that is sweet!

My hubby & I used to have our life revolve around drinking. Price of beer on sale at the Supermarket....I'll stock up. Going to dinner with friends who drank as much as we did. Hanging out, going on vacations, doing beer bongs, sitting at the bars on a cruise. Our lives were centered around our addiction.

I've gone on ..... I hope you'll stick around.....
Bobbi
Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can only tell you my experience cotwo.
It feels good to be sober and to be able to give back here

To me it's like exercise or maintaining a skill - not a chore but some days its less automatic than others

It just pisses me off that i have spent 25 years drunk, and now i need to persue the never ending journey, of constant recovery/addiction talk.
My inner addict loved to point at the mountain before me and say yep thats your future.

I don;t feel like a mountain climber tho

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do

One sure way I know of when I'm in trouble is when I starting thinking I'm so recovered I can risk a drink again....

If you never get to that point again that's great - if you do, you know where we are

D
Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
hm.....i have been sober some years and am here pretty much every day. contrary to the scenario you paint, i do not talk about alcohol every day; in fact i hardly ever talk about alcohol or think about it.
i do contemplate alcoholism quite often, though.

i don't need support as such, but do believe that supporting others ( or trying to, anyway) is helpful to me on many levels.

if you are having constant thoughts of alcohol every day, wow, that sounds like an incredibly torturous struggle. you might want to check around and see what those folks are doing who seem to NOT have that
struggle going on....and then check those options out for yourself.
How exactly do you come here every day, and not talk about alcohol or think about it? I dont mean in the regard of actual consumption, but you are still dedicating every day to the idea of recovery and addiction, after long term sobriety .

My initial question was exactly that scenario, not the thought of craving a drink. I totally get it, if you want to be involved in helping others for ever, and making this journey a hobby or a past time. I am sure that i cant be the only one to not want to be talking addiction every day after long term sobriety.

Im sorry if this is a touchy subject, and dont mean to offend anybody's point of view. This subject on weather or not this is a life style is not discussed much for new comers such as myself. I am grateful for this platform, and very thankful for the vets that chose to make this there way of life.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

How exactly do you come here every day, and not talk about alcohol or think about it? I dont mean in the regard of actual consumption, but you are still dedicating every day to the idea of recovery and addiction, after long term sobriety .

My initial question was exactly that scenario, not the thought of craving a drink. I totally get it, if you want to be involved in helping others for ever, and making this journey a hobby or a past time. I am sure that i cant be the only one to not want to be talking addiction every day after long term sobriety.

Im sorry if this is a touchy subject, and dont mean to offend anybody's point of view. This subject on weather or not this is a life style is not discussed much for new comers such as myself. I am grateful for this platform, and very thankful for the vets that chose to make this there way of life.
It's not a touchy subject to me. I think it's a great thread! I'm only at 18mo and haven't been to AA in a while(months?),never formally took the steps,ect.. It's really simple though,as I don't do ANYTHING I don't want to do anymore. Just so happens that's drinking for me now. When I was drinking I'd always do things I didn't want to do(people pleaser). I do feel 'free' from drinking now and don't worry about it anymore. I post here because they helped me get to where I am. Do I feel I 'owe them'..No. They helped me out of the kindness of their hearts. Whether that's step12? I don't know,but I know a lot of non AA'ers stuck with me through the years. I try to help others because I want to. If you don't want to..don't. There's no contract. But at 5mo I was seriously in my head trying to figure it all out and sometimes looking for a shortcut. Once I stepped back and slowed down a bit ,my life/thoughts got a whole lot more managable. Great topic/thread again btw!