Notices

Weekender 14-18 June 2018

Old 06-20-2018, 01:09 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Mr

There is a heat wave on the way.
My thermometer outside is reading 35c and it is 10h00 in the morning. Thank god I'm sober.
Time to close the shutters and blinds
Old 06-20-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Hey Weekenders! Don't feel like I should be posting in this thread seeing as I am at rehab and no day is difficult to not pick up because I can't darn well do anything or go anywhere on my own so no access to alcohol. I think that is's part of the reason I have been angry for 3 days, at home I was choosing to resist, here my choice has been taken away from me and the rebel in me seems to have surfaced. I walked out of a session today as they wanted us to do a 20 minute presentation to a group of 25 people, and part of my reason for being here is social anxiety so there is no way in hell I am going to do this task, so I walked off and are now being stubborn, moody and isolating, just don't want to speak to anyone and don't want to talk about it grr....I am getting all the "it'll be good for you" comments but my entire being has shutdown on this idea and it's just not going to happen.

I can't even sit and zone out to listen to music when I am around the big ego's and the clients are bitching and moaning about each other as that is classed as "isolating". I guess it is in a way but is it not better to chill out and cheer myself up with a song that makes me happy than sit listening to bull$it that is of no use to my recovery? I dunno, I am grumpy and I miss my cat, my bed, cooking for myself and cool weather (bit of an understatement really lol). There is a launderette just down the road that I want to wash my clothes at but that is not allowed, I can give my clothes to their wash people who have burned, marked, stained and shrunk everyone elses clothes so no way I am handing over my clothes to be done by them. I don't have a plug in the sink in my room so can't even handwash....think you might be getting the picture that I am not a happy bunny. Anyway, just posted here as missing my weekenders and hope you are all doing well.

Calmself, like Venus I am fascinated by the Jain thang! Very interesting so will be learning more about that in my downtime here. Have a safe journey to India and be good xx
hang in there ML. I did rehab a year ago & a lot of what you wrote sounds very familiar. I have social anxiety too, so speaking/presenting in front of people isn't a lot of fun for me either

rehab can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster as you're digging into feelings that you've been using alcohol to hide from for a long time & it can be easy to latch onto the nearest annoyance as a distraction if there's nothing else available.

you are still making a choice not to drink - you don't have to be where you are, you've chosen to be there - we always have a choice, even if the immediate consequences are different at different times.

hang in there, we're all rooting for you
Old 06-20-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

I’m sorry you’re suffering, MantaLady.

That really does sound miserable!

There’s a big difference between a two minute autobiographical spiel and a 25-minute PRESENTATION! :-o
Old 06-20-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Hey Weekenders! Don't feel like I should be posting in this thread seeing as I am at rehab and no day is difficult to not pick up because I can't darn well do anything or go anywhere on my own so no access to alcohol. I think that is's part of the reason I have been angry for 3 days, at home I was choosing to resist, here my choice has been taken away from me and the rebel in me seems to have surfaced. I walked out of a session today as they wanted us to do a 20 minute presentation to a group of 25 people, and part of my reason for being here is social anxiety so there is no way in hell I am going to do this task, so I walked off and are now being stubborn, moody and isolating, just don't want to speak to anyone and don't want to talk about it grr....I am getting all the "it'll be good for you" comments but my entire being has shutdown on this idea and it's just not going to happen.

I can't even sit and zone out to listen to music when I am around the big ego's and the clients are bitching and moaning about each other as that is classed as "isolating". I guess it is in a way but is it not better to chill out and cheer myself up with a song that makes me happy than sit listening to bull$it that is of no use to my recovery? I dunno, I am grumpy and I miss my cat, my bed, cooking for myself and cool weather (bit of an understatement really lol). There is a launderette just down the road that I want to wash my clothes at but that is not allowed, I can give my clothes to their wash people who have burned, marked, stained and shrunk everyone elses clothes so no way I am handing over my clothes to be done by them. I don't have a plug in the sink in my room so can't even handwash....think you might be getting the picture that I am not a happy bunny. Anyway, just posted here as missing my weekenders and hope you are all doing well.

Calmself, like Venus I am fascinated by the Jain thang! Very interesting so will be learning more about that in my downtime here. Have a safe journey to India and be good xx
I don't understand why people think presenting in front of a crowd will be 'good for you'. I don't have any problem with it myself, but my son does, and he was loosing marks for it at school. We had to meet with the teacher and defend him! They make accommodations for all sorts of things to remove learning barriers but social anxiety is not one? gimme a break. The teacher did give in and arranged for one on one presentations instead.

Oh, P.S. so glad to hear from you Manta Lady.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Welcome to Weekenders Willow!

Saoutchik Towers has an additional temporary resident this morning in the form of an injured pigeon. He/she is in a shoebox with water and some granola. I will walk over to a vet with it in an hours time.
Ahh that's nice. Reminds me of when we rescued a Robin once. Poor thing didn't make it tho....
Old 06-20-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Good for you to fight for your son, Dragon!

Many parents would choose an easy path of harassing their child with something like "Why can't you be like everybody else!".

I just did 1 hour of cardio and 30 min of boxing drills.

Now when my fitness duty is paid I have a stash of fruit and soccer games ahead. Yay!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Morning, Sao.

It is so kind of you (actually I was going to say that "You are such a doll" , but wasn't sure ) to take care of an injured bird.

Hope your new buddy will be ok soon.

I obviously need to cut on coffee, but I don't want to. It is such a flow of goodness in my life. I've already had my second mug and I want more!
I quit coffee once (and probably the last time I'll ever do that). I was having problems with sustained energy thru the day. But of course, it wasn't the alchohol intake to blame was it? noooo. After getting thru the daily headaches for a week or so I found that I did have a more consistent level of energy thru the day. Eventually tho, my 'Coffee Voice' got the better of me and I picked up again from the local Tims. No going back after that!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

I’m glad you overcame your torpor and worked out, MB.

When I force myself against my will to do the right thing, I always have such a feeling of satisfaction after having accomplished it—much more than if I had been happy to do it.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
...Many parents would choose an easy path of harassing their child with something like "Why can't you be like everybody else!"....
Tried that too! To be honest, I took Mrs Dragons lead on alot of this stuff.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Oh yea, and happy hump day everyone! Look at that! post #490....
Old 06-20-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post

When I force myself against my will to do the right thing, I always have such a feeling of satisfaction after having accomplished it—much more than if I had been happy to do it.
This!

Gilmer, I still strongly believe that it is worth trying to give writing another shot and tell "eff you" whoever dared to tell you you have no imagination.

It's a skill. And even its wings suffer from some degree of atrophy, they can be brought to full strength with consistent efforts.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Oh yea, and happy hump day everyone! Look at that! post #490....
Thank you, Dragon.

I think it's partially World Cup and my vacations to blame for 490 posts)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Not to mention the phrase “I almost croaked!”
Old 06-20-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Sober since October

I think I've developed a new addiction - to sweet cherries.

What our dear Venus said: "#Neverhadtheswithoffinthefirstplace".
Old 06-20-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I took him/her to the vet and they all sounded very positive. They were much more confident in handling it and I thought it looked a bit perkier. It might have been for my benefit but they seemed quite confident. Good luck to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20180620_124119.jpg (15.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

I’m really glad, Sao.

I was so pleasantly surprised by the fact that you fed it granola! What a good idea!

I hope it liked it as well as I do!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  
saoutchik

MantaLady i'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I have not done rehab so I have little to compare your situation to but a 'presentation' seems a bit much I must say.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Portugal vs Marocco just started and while I was in the kitchen Portugal already scored.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

post #499 - who's going to get #500?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

too late - beaten by the new thread!

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ne-2018-a.html (The Big Switcheroo Weekender 20-25 June 2018)