Notices

“No Man Is an Island” Weekender: March 15-19, 2018

Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

So, here's something I find interesting. I thought I'd throw it to the weekenders to see what y'all think.

As a tax practitioner I participate in several online tax forums and FB groups. I find them useful (like this forum) for sharing information (just on a different topic). One of the FB groups in which I participate deals specifically with representing clients who have IRS issues.

One of the practitioners who specializes in IRS representation has a theory that a high percentage of taxpayers who want representation to take on the IRS are alcoholics. His theory is that alcoholics are the kind of people who will get filled with righteous indignation about having to pay the IRS anything they don't want to pay and will fight the IRS, even in hopeless cases where it is obvious to everyone else the IRS is pursuing a legitimate tax debt.

He further opines that you want to avoid these clients because when you can't win their case for them they trash you with horrible online reviews and refuse to pay their fee for your service.

It's an interesting theory. Maybe even true, but this fellow annoys me because he will post often about "how to spot an alcoholic" and frequently replies to other people's questions with statements like "Sounds like your client is an alcoholic, run away!"

I don't see any upside to engaging him on the topic, but I spend a lot of time thinking about it. Wondered what others here might think.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I have a pet water fountain that is really awesome ...
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Ahh! Those pet water fountains. My cat prefers to drink flowing water rather than standing water
thank you DD! I was wondering what was so awesome about having a water fountain as a pet
Old 03-18-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Home and awake after last night's party. It struck me, they used coloured glasses to differentiate the bar booze from the pop folks. At our table of 9, only 4 were drinking. At other tables, nobody was drinking. The drinking tables were the younger people, those in their 20s. Although it was people in their 40s and 50s who hit the dance floor first and the buffet table lol I felt comfortable and happy and enjoyed the party. I still laughed too loud, danced too much and ate stuff I am paying for, 😎 however no throbbing head. I do want another nap though. 2 am is too late for this gal.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
thank you DD! I was wondering what was so awesome about having a water fountain as a pet
The other good thing about the fountain is that it holds a gallon or so of water in a reservoir in the back and releases it as needed, so if I'm away for a day or two it gives them water. My cats like the flowing water, too.

Too many pull-apart parts and places where the bacteria love to hang out. I saw the idea to put baking powder in it? Wouldn't that change the Ph?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Well done everyone who made it through a drinking holiday without drinking.

Me too Glad it's over.

Gilmer, your day sounds fun, especially the trips down all the side roads. I had to laugh at you looking for the roads' namesakes. My little town recently decided to go back to the old historic names on the streets. For decades we have used numbers, and I'm glad they went to the old actual names, though some of them are downright politically incorrect. I could see you trying to find some long-defunct landmark from the 1910s.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Vman, what was the outcome of the big game?
Ireland grand slam victory in the 2018 six nations.
I was very proud and happy. I like rugby.

I ran in my 17km trail this morning.
It was hard but I finished and I was not last

Hope you are all having a good Sunday.

V.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Well done, Vman!

I walk a trail. I would kill myself trying to run...did you stay on your feet? No injuries? That's an accomplishment. Congrats on whatever-game-you're-talkin-bout.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Mr

Thx Bim.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Congratulations, VMan!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Nonsensical, I've read enough and seen enough to believe that alcoholics are well represented in the major Personality Disorders categories. Who knows which came first, the personality disorder or the alcoholism?

Either way, takes one to know one? I can certainly spot one, though not necessarily online - and I tend to agree with your guy about the danger!danger! IRS situation. I was married to a guy who got himself into a lot of trouble with the IRS.

Mr. Ostrich, according to his therapist. God knows the alcohol helps to keep the denial going, "I'll just put my head under the ground and maybe it will go away. Then I'll blame everyone else for my problem."
Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

congrats Vman!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Mr

Thx guys
Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Vman, Congrats! I have three strapping nephews who play/ed American football and Rugby. They are a wreck. All three of them have torn their ACL's twice and broken bones, etc. They're still playing. They love it too. I love watching but it can be treacherous. Although I had horses for 35 years or so and I can match their injuries. Oh well, if you love it, what can you say.
I'm glad your happy!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post

I ran in my 17km trail this morning.
It was hard but I finished and I was not last

Hope you are all having a good Sunday.

V.
Vinny you're a beast!

...in a good way, I might add
Old 03-18-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Most of you guys know that I'm more of a headbanger, but the title of this thread took me back to '84 (yeah, yeah, some of ya weren't even born then, but whatevs )

Old 03-18-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
this fellow annoys me because he will post often about "how to spot an alcoholic" and frequently replies to other people's questions with statements like "Sounds like your client is an alcoholic, run away!"
Makes me wonder if maybe this guy either is an alcoholic himself, or maybe has family issues with alcoholism, if he is so fixated on the issue.

It seems to me that people who pursue hopeless defenses against the IRS for legitimate tax debts probably run the gamut, from people who are simply desperate financially to crackpots who want to "stick it to the man." Don't know that alcoholics would be over-represented in that sample...though I can see a lot of alcoholics "forgetting" to file tax returns for years and getting into trouble for that.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on your Ham and Oysters outing Gilmer! The drive sounded fun too.

Congratulations to you too Vman on your 17K!

And finally to too GettingSmarter on 21 months and for not listening to your AV.

I definitely agree that there is little point in engaging with that alcoholic obsessed accountant Nonsensical, for some reason he clearly has an axe to grind. Actually, when I was drinking I think I was less likely to stand up for myself, rightly or wrongly, because I couldn't be bothered with anything then.

I believe Kagagoogoo reformed for a while, not sure if they still going. I would have been the proud owner of a mullet in the mid 1980s.

I visited my older sister /BIL about 30 miles from me and we spent a while at an indoor beer festival which I was not best pleased about. Fortunately the weather was (and still is) filthy and so we did not stay long, I felt a bit sorry for the organisers.

I saw a pet fountain in Geneva once, it must have been one hell of a cat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20180318_202459.jpg (24.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Went to the international "updog" finals today at the state park I'll be working at soon. so much fun. I got teary watching the freestyle dog competition. There's nothing sweeter than a man (or woman) and his best friend. Especially when they have an adorable choreographed program with music and frisbees and even a few matching outfits. So much love and talent. And a lot of border collies!
Old 03-18-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

just noticed the date - nine months for me today
Old 03-18-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

andy,

That's terrific and Congratulations!!

Love, Aly