Notices

“No Man Is an Island” Weekender: March 15-19, 2018

Old 03-17-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I don't have dogs of my own, but hopefully some day I'll live somewhere with enough space. These pics crack me up, though!

Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I keep meaning to buy those roadside eggs too - but my grocery store keeps giving me coupons and I'm never in need of eggs when I drive by the one near me.

When I was a kid the Amish came by on a regular basis and sold eggs to my grandma. Their buggy and horse and way of dressing and gentle nature were fascinating to me. Especially when they brought their little girl, about my age.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Those cages...I don't even like cleaning easy to clean pet/animal stuff. Can you imagine? I have a pet water fountain that is really awesome but it has to be cleaned and that means soaking in bleach water then scrubbing all the little nooks and crannies. Heck to the no on that hamster McDonalds' playland.
I keep the old toothbrush heads and use my electric toothbrush for cleaning those small but hard to clean items like watch straps or small but hard to reach areas. I am under no illusions that would work on hamster cages though.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders!!
What awesome hamster cages. I’m suddenly feeling like a bad hamster mom for having such a simple cage. I also loved the toothbrush head idea for cleaning.

I’m hosting a sleepover party for my daughter tonight which will end with a party at her gym tomorrow. I’m grateful to not be worrying about getting my drink on and actually getting to be present tonight.

Happy St Paddy’s day! Stay Strong friends!
Old 03-17-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Those hamster cages are awesome. I prefer a bit larger animals, even my cat is 17lbs.

Getting ready to go out tonight, asked Dh what he is wearing, he looks down. No effing way, you were cleaning the barn and no plaid and no work boots and shave. It might be an engagement party at another farm, but these guys can clean up once in a while. When I met him he smelled nice, shaved daily and always dressed nicely. What happened rofl.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I just got back from my outing.

I drove up Many Waters Lane, but didn’t see many waters: just a crick and a mudhole!

Then I drove down St. David’s Church Rd. to see if there was an actual St. David’s Church. I must have driven 15 miles on the convoluted dirt road—then finally I saw an unmarked wooden building with three windows on each side and a fancy old door in front. I figured that was it (though now it’s apparently somebody’s house).

I wondered if I would ever get back to the main road—then suddenly I did: 20 miles south of where I got on!

Then I went to the Ham and Oyster Supper. I was only ten minutes late, but it was packed! I stepped through the door and there was an overwhelming smell—of sauerkraut! I like sauerkraut, but still, it almost knocked me down!

I entered a raffle.

I got in line, and in front of me was the highly-touted array of homemade desserts. I grabbed a pineapple upside down cake. The line server asked if I wanted ham, oysters, or a mixture.

I went for the oysters!

I was shocked: he gave me eight of them, and they were the most gigantic ones I’d ever seen! It looked like a plate full of fish and chips!

They had a special guy assigning spots to people, because it was too crowded to find seats ourselves!

So all the people at my long tables were strangers to one another (except for a few married couples—I went solo). The vegetables and potatoes were family-style, so we asked one another to pass them.

After five oysters I was stuffed! I couldn’t even choke down more than one bite of cake! But I had a good chat with the couple across from me. They go to every community supper in every county around!

The lady told me that she was one of 11 kids, her husband was one of 8 (he was Irish! ), and her mother was one of 22 kids—21 girls and one boy! Sadly, the only son got shot during the depression for crossing a picket line. Imagine the grief!

Anyway, I sat enjoying this lady’s stories long after I finished my food.

I’ll definitely go next time, but I’ll know to fast all day beforehand!

There were almost as many people helping as there were eating!

Running around refilling dishes would be a really invigorating way to get exercise!

The only downside: now that I’m home my hair reeks of sauerkraut!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Gilmer
Glad you updated us on your evening. I was wondering how it went. I love oysters too. In CA they have pretty big ones too, but what an interesting idea for St Pat's Day. Glad you had fun too, even getting there!
Love, Aly
Old 03-17-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I am in! I had a close call today...21 months sober and I was tempted. It has been a tough week. I better sign in here. eeeeppps

I hope everyone is doing good. happy st. patricks day! I only went to the gym so I didn't wear green. My headphones were green.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good for you for withstanding temptation, Midwest!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thank you Gilmer...I suppose it was another test I passed. Just goes to show you can't ever quite working on things! It sounds like you had an exciting day!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I did!

I’m about to cook one of my fresh eggs; it’s not good to eat after 8, but I need to take a bedtime medicine with fat.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Really enjoying the thread tonight, it's brightened my evening.

So glad you didn't drink, Midwest. 21 months is awesome, you should be so proud!

Well, day 3 is winding down. Had entirely too much Nutella the past two days, but at least it wasn't vodka. Dull headache and ancy-schmancy today, but otherwise, doing well physically. I know I'm one of the lucky ones and for that, I am most grateful.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Glad you’re having a pleasant day, Ides!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Ides- great job on day 3! I am glad you are feeling good. The first week is tough!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Those hamster play grounds are just too much. Especially considering you can only keep one n a cage. I'm glad Daugter was sensible enough to to use simple glass enclosures. We picked up a used fish tank and a new wire mesh cover for $40.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Verdict: fresh eggs really do have more flavor.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Vman, what was the outcome of the big game?
Old 03-17-2018, 08:42 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I have a pet water fountain that is really awesome but it has to be cleaned and that means soaking in bleach water then scrubbing all the little nooks and crannies.
Ahh! Those pet water fountains. My cat prefers to drink flowing water rather than standing water, but I don't want to leave the bathtub faucet dribbling for him when I'm away for work for up to 4 days at a time. So I got him one of those water fountains. Yuck -- the thing seems to get fouled in a matter of days. It felt like it spent more time being cleaned (by me) than dispensing water for the cat. Thankfully, he's learned to settle for drinking from a big bowl of water when I'm not there.

And I consider it a sober victory that I typed out that little story at 8:45pm on Saturday night on St Patty's Day weekend, rather than being out getting involved in boozy, unsavory shenanigans.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I feel a lot better today. I think I needed a goodnights sleep.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I used a baking soda based product for 'fresh breath & clean teeth' in the dogs water bowl. I notice that it prevents the water from fouling. I don't get a cloudy slimy buildup on the stainless steel bowl. I wonder if that would help the water fountains too?