Notices

British Newby

Old 03-18-2018, 01:31 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Had been wondering how you were, garvo65.
I hope that you will be able to receive the checkup and any care you need.
Good health to you; take care.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I don't consider myself to have achieved recovery as I don't consider binge drinking, or having a few beers of an evening an illness, just self destructive and indulgent behaviour (enjoyable as it might be at times). In my case I stopped because the weight gain was giving me mobility problems and painful joints............not because I was seeking a New Jerusalem. I have had the best times of my life drinking, fun, friends, experiences............but I have also had the worst too but that's another thread which I tempted to contribute to. As the worst times generally involved a night or two in the cells and a court appearance, maybe I better not post to that thread. On a positive note my self esteem is higher not drinking but that's about it. That's All Folks......
Old 03-18-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just wanted not to die in my forties - I got a lot more than that too.

I hope that you'll get back everything you want too Garvo - and maybe be as surprised as I was as to what that eventually entails.

best wishes,

D
Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Went to the pub with my son today..............lovely Sunday roast meal and a diet coke! Sponge pudding and custard for desert...........off to the movies tonight with both my children.............Tomb Raider of something......
Old 03-18-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Yeah I hear you on the good times, good friends. I never got arrested, no court appearances. With very little exception I was a "two beer" girl when I would go out for an evening, but as everyone here knows, the using is progressive and sneaks up on us. I got my children raised without much drinking, worked a responsible job with the government, never drank during the week, wasn't one to call in sick.

My bottom didn't happen until I was faced with serious health problems in my 60's and my drinking was what contributed to them. I realized alcohol was robbing me of a good life and my health, then one day I woke up -- stopped, disgusted with myself. I avoided any devastating events or court mandated conditions. I still got slapped with the proverbial two-by-four against the head. We're all different yet very much the same.

Good luck on your journey.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Never been mandated with court conditions either and my appearances might shock some sensitive types but I have never been ashamed of anything I have been in court for.......I have lost count of my days sober....16 or so I think.........but certainly not feeling any better for it........mentally or physically..........feel like a wreck. Oh and been over 10 years since spent the night on a thin plastic mattress and a horse blanket!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Now have DVT from stopping drinking..........blood test confirmed...........so now looks like may have to be on medication for life to thin my blood............scan at urgent care centre tomorrow and off to pick up my pills now............I am sure you can imagine my feelings right now........tapering off instead of just stopping might have been safer.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Tapering off from 'Just a few beers of an evening?'

Thing is, you could take s blood thinner everyday that isn't going to cause the kind of consequences that the inevitable binges would. Or you could self medicate with alcohol - if you could be sure that you could moderate so you drank within the healthy limits. If you could do that I don't suppose you'd have found your way to this forum.

I reckon stopping drinking didn't cause your DVT. Drinking was just masking that existing medical condition. But that's one of those chicken / egg type conversations that can get pretty old pretty quick.

DVT is bloody painful though. One of my pupils recently had it and it's taking a while to get her back to her usual self, the poor girl. I hope the meds do their magic quickly for you.

BB
Old 03-20-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking before the water retention just went away and no puffiness.........now stopped and found the opposite......lower legs blew up.....painful......bending down......anyway.......scan in the morning...........
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Well, I'm glad you've seen the doc and are getting it sorted.

BB
Old 03-21-2018, 12:45 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Day 19 sober! Don't feel better but not drinking is easier...........best of luck to everyone here................Garvo
Old 03-21-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi from a fellow Brit, I totally get if you don’t want to do meetings and such and I’m mostly doing things on my own as well and also don’t count days sober BUT just to say that I do occasionally attend SMART recovery meetings- they’re online with no cameras and I don’t use my microphone, just listen so 100% anonymous, no way for anyone to know you ‘sat in’ (digitally) on one. They’re secular, nonjudgmental, and focussed on cognitive behavioural therapy methods and really practical ways of thinking about problematic behaviour: I actually find them useful for day to day ‘life’ and not just thinking about my drinking. I think they are well suited to the British cultural personality. Just a thought. https://www.smartrecovery.org.uk
Old 03-21-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well........had scan and don't have DVT.......
Old 03-21-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by garvo65 View Post
Well........had scan and don't have DVT.......
Now, that IS good news.

BB
Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Feeling less sorry for myself. Glad I have not resorted to self medication and on day 20 of my sobriety. Being able to jot my ups and downs on here really helps as it's just me and my boy who live together. It's 2am in the UK and I got up an hour or so ago and got some very productive work done.

When they gave me the ultrasound test result they said 'WELL DONE' as if I had achieved something.....my veins deserve all the credit not me......night night everyone...this Brit going back to bed!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days, goodnight!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Still got swelling in leg and D-Dimer result of 1500+.........another scan on Wednesday........falling apart but still sober doing so..........
Old 03-23-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
under new management

garvo65, Congrats on day 22 (I think? )

Whatever you do or don't have to deal with, it will be a bazillion times easier without alcohol mucking things up.

Hang in there!

Old 03-26-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Feeling in pain and dreadfully bored............being sober is worse than drinking..........nearly a month in I only feel negative effects, not positive ones......not what people want to hear I'm sure but an honest post nevertheless.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by garvo65 View Post
Feeling in pain and dreadfully bored............being sober is worse than drinking..........nearly a month in I only feel negative effects, not positive ones......not what people want to hear I'm sure but an honest post nevertheless.
Hmmmm - I thought I was in that mindset as well at almost 30 days. It seemed everyone else felt awesome except me. However, as I was brewing on all the negatives during a pity party, I started to realize the positives or at least the issues that had stopped being negative. There weren't very many at first: I wasn't hungover. My gerd and indigestion stopped on the first day. I was proud of myself on the 2nd day because I was doing something I had wanted to do, but couldn't accomplish.

My point is that the positives slowly started to accumulate and the longer I'm alcohol free, the more there are.

Hang in there.