British Newby

Old 03-26-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Thanks..........garvo
Old 03-26-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by garvo65 View Post
Feeling in pain and dreadfully bored............being sober is worse than drinking..........nearly a month in I only feel negative effects, not positive ones......not what people want to hear I'm sure but an honest post nevertheless.
my first 30 days weren't great, my next were a little better, and the 30 after that were better still...By 90 days I was pretty pleased to be sober

I hope you'll stick with us...things get a lot better than they were at nearly a month.

If you';re bored can you think of things to do that don't require you to be around alcohol?

D
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Yep, the older we get the harder and longer it takes for the body to recover from our abuse of it.

But it will, and it does, with continued sobriety.
Drink again and all the circulatory issues, etc. reset back to zero and sometimes lower than before.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Welcome. This is a great place with a ton of support.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Made the conscious and deliberate decision to drink today so I went to the shop and was minded to get a nice little miniature bottle of brandy or something as a 'pick me up.' Partly as pain killer and partly for the buzz. When I arrived they only had quarter and half bottles, so I stood there staring. My mind made me think about what effect drinking a quarter bottle of spirits would have on me and despite my best attempt at forcing myself to buy, I couldn't and left with a bag of potatoes only! Then I felt rather indignant and resentful that my ability to drink even when I wantto has been taken away from me........losing a friend.........clearly I feel rather confused by all this.........does it make sense to anyone? Garvo
Old 03-26-2018, 09:03 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

It makes sense to me.I went back drinking many times because not drinking felt so unfamiliar and disconcerting.

I'm glad you didn't end up buying any booze.
Its definitely the only way to go.

Drink again and you'll be back to the point that you joined up here..or worse.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Lol. Hugs to you Garvo.

I reckon it wasn't YOU that was feeling 'rather indignant and resentful'. That would have been your AV. And guess what. Those little buggers were never our friends to begin with.

Keep going. You're doing good. No one said this wouldn't be hard at times. Just because we hit some tricky bits, doesn't mean we're doing it wrong. Just means we still need to get used to pushing through the rubbish feelings without hiding in oblivion.

Take care.
BB
Old 03-27-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Rar

Good going Garvo! Getting through that situation will make you stronger. Well done.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

That's a nice post Gar

I was on edge when I started to read thinking surely not. I get all a feeling of sorrow when I hear people contemplating heading for the bottle.

How long have we all spent wasting time being bounced off here and then there like the ball bearing in a pin ball machine. Every place we are sent and every place we go we have been there before.
It's time for something different. Sober is that change and everything is thinking outside of the box from here on. The reinvention, the new !
Old 03-27-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It definitely happened to me, & unfortunately I didn't resist temptation. I landed right back in hell. Finally, I stopped feeling like I was being cheated out of something wonderful - it was never fun anymore - and only left me sad & miserable.

Proud of you, garvo.