Notices

Weekender Thread 1-5 March 2018

Old 03-02-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Macncheese!

I have had an exceptionally busy day and it looks like I will have to go in tomorrow morning - rats! Never mind, at least the trains are running today (touch wood)
Old 03-02-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
MLD - all my family has died so I get it.

Everything will get done. Let the emotions flow as they do. Lots of sorting going on in the mind right now.

I am one who felt relief when my mother died. I mean, I always loved her but she was so difficult. To be fair, she felt I was too.

It's just a jumble. I was okay for the most part but it's stressful at times, and a relief at times, annoying, scary, liberating, and at times feels a bit like freefall. l felt better once I got there and started doing stuff. The anticipation is a lot like anxiety or excitement.
Exactly. I do feel some relief. And with that relief comes guilt that I feel relief. I mean - we aren't "supposed" to feel relief when a parent dies. But there are all sorts of emotions - it's hard to sort out right now. He was difficult. So was I, I realize. Even more so after I got sober. I had to protect myself, and that meant not much contact with him. I know he was hurt by that, and he let me know it every chance he got. So part of the relief is that I can't hurt him any more, and he can't hurt me.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

exactly. I edited my post, someday I'll stop doing that...but not today!

Guilt. Yup. But you're right, my first reaction was, "She won't be here to pick on me anymore." Then I felt bad for thinking that. Then I realized she would be hurt for me thinking that and round and round it goes.

My mother died in 1999. Right after that I found out I had a serious life-threatening disease and I had quit my job when my mother died so I was floundering emotionally for about two years. Not too long after that was when I started drinking again after having been quit for nearly two decades.

We are here. I feel your pain. It's so enmeshed and complicated with parents - unlike any other relationships.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

SO much love for both of you.... ♥♥♥
Old 03-02-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I was sober for a lot of years when my mom was still alive, and I also went to very limited contact for a long time. I told her why, that I couldn't deal with the constant judgemental condescension from her and that it was hurtful. She would never ever admit that she was to blame in any of it, and it never got better.

I did learn not to react. I did learn to hang up or leave the room instead, but no amount of time will "fix" someone if they don't admit to ever being wrong. In her head she never hurt me - it was all me being too sensitive.

She was a drinker and took Valium since I was little. I never saw her demonstrably drunk, but I know she had her demons and I never saw her go a day without a drink or five. In hindsight I think that was a problem, but it is what it is.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

(((bimini)))
Old 03-02-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. In for the weekend.
Sorry for your loss MLD.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I have had an exceptionally busy day and it looks like I will have to go in tomorrow morning - rats! Never mind, at least the trains are running today (touch wood)
Sao, is the problem that since most of the UK & Ireland doesn't get much snow, there is not sufficient equipment to quickly deal with it?
That was the case when I lived in the mid-Atlantic USA: We would occasionally (every few years) get a pretty bad snowstorm, but not often enough that a massive public investment in snow-removal equipment & chemicals was justified, so it would make a huge mess every time it snowed more than a couple of inches. Random garbage trucks and road-grading equipment would be re-purposed as snow plows.

It makes me grateful to live in warm sunny Arizona...you don't have to shovel heat! Have a great SOBER weekend everyone!

DD
Old 03-02-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
is the problem that since most of the UK & Ireland doesn't get much snow, there is not sufficient equipment to quickly deal with it?
that's about the size of it. it's really not worth the investment in lots of snow ploughs, tyres & the like that will sit idle for 360+ days most years, so the country grinds to a halt for a few days every year or so.

one quite amusing side-effect of the snow near me is that a house being used for cannabis growing got busted by the police as it was the only one in its street without snow on its roof
Old 03-02-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Lol!
Old 03-02-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Glad you’re okay Dee.

Happy Friday one and all.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thinking of you MLD -

One of the things I appreciate the most about SR is how supportive people are towards one another be it good or not so good that happens along the recovery journey.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

We are being warned of a "Major Winter Storm" this Sunday. I might be spending my Monday off shoveling.....
Old 03-03-2018, 12:46 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Sao, is the problem that since most of the UK & Ireland doesn't get much snow, there is not sufficient equipment to quickly deal with it?
DD
Yes, as andyh pointed out that is it in a nutshell, we have not had snow settle for more than 24 hours here in London since 2010. That said we could still do better.

Off to work for a couple of hours this morning, not my preferred way of spending Saturday morning.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday xxx
Old 03-03-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday - Vermont received some snow; shovel rather than snow blower so that is good. My son and his girlfriend are in town from Boston so I'm very excited to see them this weekend Off to drink more coffee and to watch the birds in the feeder as I reflect on being grateful for another hangover free Saturday morning - this feeling just never gets old!
Old 03-03-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

It's sunny! What?!

...to the Big Beach Hill. With a tank-top! No alcohol! NO hangover.

I don't miss that one little bit.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

THIS.

Realism rocks. For serious

Encouraging news Dee. Thanks for all you do man

Sunny and in the 60's today. Great workout this am; now on to some errands I've been putting off.

Realist and somewhat of a procrastinator

Later all.

TheT.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

At least we are realistic about the fact that we are procrastinators.

Love and hello to all on this gorgeous Saturday!! ♥♥
Old 03-03-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It's sunny! What?!

...to the Big Beach Hill. With a tank-top! No alcohol! NO hangover.

I don't miss that one little bit.
Tank top.......wow.......SO jealous.....enjoy love!! ♥♥