Notices

Going to AA with a Buzz On.....

Old 01-31-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Horn,

Our stories are very similar. Marine Corps Infantry, served during the same time period, I got out and did very well in college and put together a good career for myself.

Always believed I was strong enough to conquer the challenges before me in life. And once alcohol became another one of those challenges, I thought I'd use my will to beat that one, too.

I was never more mistaken about anything in my life.

Once I admitted this beast was stronger than my will, and surrendered to being beaten by it, then I was ready to accept help outside myself. Only that has worked for me. My help began with my doctors, then in a rehab that highly encouraged 12 Step programs, and continues in the program of AA.

You can do this, brother. But not by yourself.

Semper Fi.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

the strongest of us can often be too strong for our own good; too strong to surrender, ask for help, give in to the realization of our weaknesses....

listen; I've been where you are and I am free of it. You can be, too.

You're a vet - here's something I recently learned; the VA has great resources. Do you have any service-connected issues? I had some small things I never really thought of as service-connected. After 20 years I recently filed for a VA claim and am 10% service connected - giving me access to a wealth of support. Including free counseling, access to medical care, addiction treatment - and a community of fellow veterans who have common background and struggles and have a lot of different support networks. I'd encourage you to leverage VA resources in any way you can. I was Army but I have a lot of Marine buddies. I know some of the scars Marine Corps Infantry service can leave behind.... you're not alone.

Get yourself plugged into all the support you can.... just like in the Corps, this isn't about just YOU. You don't have to overcome this on your own. Lean on your brothers and sisters just as you would in a war....

You can do this.