Notices

commentments

Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Will be dumping out the rest of the alcohol I have left but also drank some. Tomorrow will be day 1. Gotta do this. If I don't I know whats coming if I don't quit and it ain't pretty. John
Day 1
Old 12-23-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was talking with a younger guy after a meeting a few months ago and boardam/free time were his downfall according to him. I suggested that he get a 2nd job(part time) to keep him busy and make some extra $$. I told him if it kept him sober for a month,great! I think it's been 4 months now and he's still working both his full time and part time jobs. He hasn't drank at all because he "doesn't have time to even think about it much anymore." I asked him how long he planned on working the 2nd job and he told me "to be honest...I've gotten used to/addicted to the extra paycheck." I asked for my 10% fee for the advice,but no go. LOL
Old 12-23-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I think you know that's complete BS John. Go back and read some of your old binge posts over the holidays if you need to remember how much "Fun" you had.

When you aren't drinking you are a very thoughtful and insightful person, and you have helped many here on SR during your sober time. In a sense you already were doing service work via SR, so the step to helping others locally really isn't that big...but it can't happen until you stop drinking.

As long as you keep making excuses as to why you can't stop, you won't. You know that because you've been there before and you've seen ( and helped ) others do exactly the same thing. So why not just cut through the AV/BS and make today the day you get back on track?
Pretty rough post Scott but mostly true. But I don't think you understand when I said THERE IS NO PLACE TO VOLUNTEER HERE. Looked all over this place during Thanksgiving. None around here. That's not an excuse, that's the truth. I guess I could put an ad in the local paper offering to help others, but that seems kinda lame.
But you are right about making excuses to drink but boredom can drive a person nuts. Ask anybody here about boredom and you will get a similar answer. I'm not sure if that's an excuse or the reality of my and others' lives. But I don't think there is a good excuse to drink.
Frankly Scott, it's amazing I've done as well as I have. I could easily sit home and drink myself silly and nobody would know. That is my reality. Can you relate to that? Either way, tomorrow will be a sober day. Don't want to deal with the terrible hallucinations I've had in the past and I know that is just around the corner. If it wasn't for that and the shakes, I'd drink every day and just stay mellow but I know that isn't possible. John
Old 12-23-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Is moving an option? Sounds like you're not so keen on where you live.

BB
Old 12-23-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Is moving an option? Sounds like you're not so keen on where you live.

BB
Actually I like where I live. It's pretty peaceful and quiet. It's beautiful where I live. Lots of preserves and parks. Not too far from the beach. I like living in a small town, but that means living pretty far from a lot of stuff. John
Old 12-23-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, I hope you can find a way to deal with your boredom other than drinking. I know being bored is depressing, but there are so many things you could do with your time. Are you ready to take action? I hope so.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, it sounds like you've been feeling pretty isolated for a while.
If nothing changes, then nothing changes John.
Do you have transport to get to bigger places and reach out. I know that reaching out feels a bit dangerous and scary as there's always a little bit of a risk of rejection, but the other option is just waiting for others to come find you, and that's not likely to happen.

Christmas has been difficult for you in past years, and I suppose it's likely to be tough this year as well. Any chance of you reconnecting with the AA fellowship?

BB
Old 12-23-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know a dog is a big commitment, but it's a huge return on your investment in Love.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

BB Considering visiting the local AA meeting where I live. The people where I live now are much nicer overall than where I used to live so maybe it will work out this time. No harm dropping by. Need a few days of sobriety before I do that though. Want to walk in with a clear head. Thanks for bringing it up. Haven't thought about going to an AA meeting in a while. Gives me something I can aim at. Will definitely go next week. John
Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I could easily sit home and drink myself silly and nobody would know. That is my reality.
Because no one cares. Because you have no one in your life. You're alone. Right? That's the tenor of this post and a lot of others. Why are you alone? Read the first line of this thread:

I'm scared to death about commitments.

You fear commitment, but bemoan the fact that no one else wants to commit to being in your life. I believe that is called a conundrum.

Having people in our life requires commitment. Having anything we care about requires commitment, human or animal. Stop putting up barriers to the world. You are keeping out that which you seek.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Frankly Scott, it's amazing I've done as well as I have. I could easily sit home and drink myself silly and nobody would know. That is my reality. Can you relate to that?
Oh, I can relate....and your reality was my reality at one point too. In fact, it was pretty much everyone's reality around here. Addiction would have us think we are somehow different from everyone else...that our problems are somehow worse.

No one is telling you that you need to rush out and volunteer today. They are telling you that you need to quit drinking first, plain and simple. There are always placed you can volunteer your time, even virtually - like you did here on SR when you are sober. And unless you are the only living inhabitant on a remote Island, there are always placed you can help others. But bottom line, you've got something else to take care of first. I tried to quit "tomorrow" countless time last. I hope you can commit to that if nothing else.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

BB Considering visiting the local AA meeting where I live. The people where I live now are much nicer overall than where I used to live so maybe it will work out this time. No harm dropping by. Need a few days of sobriety before I do that though. Want to walk in with a clear head. Thanks for bringing it up. Haven't thought about going to an AA meeting in a while. Gives me something I can aim at. Will definitely go next week. John
AA is a great plan, John!

I will place a bet that you will be a great sponsor one day.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
AA is a great plan, John!

I will place a bet that you will be a great sponsor one day.
I don't know about being a great sponsor some day but God is the only one that knows for sure. Not too big on some of the AA stuff. See a lot of it as hypocritcal (sp), so not so sure the people there would be ok with that but I'm open to possibilities. It would be a great feeling to be a part of someone getting and staying sober. John
Old 12-23-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Scott, I really don't think my problems are any worse than others. In fact, I'm been a pretty lucky guy. Worked hard my whole life and am now reaping the benefits of that. Life isn't perfect but I see people with lives much more difficult than mine. But everybody and I mean everybody finds a way to deal with their situations. It's just human nature for people to find some relief from their pain. I will be sober tomorrow but the problems, even small, still exists. Got two weeks off from work, so plenty of time to explore. John
Old 12-23-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Gotta make myself do this. Gotta get out of myself and into life again. The work I do helps a lot, but it's apparently not enough. John
Old 12-23-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Www.charityvillage.com

They have a classified ad section for volunteers. Some is online, some is for board members. Go get a vulnerable sector check if you are planning on volunteering. I know for my own non profit Corp. Insurance is a pain. My volunteers must have their screening and every event I have to provide my volunteers names yo the insurance co.

This post is just on General, not specifically to the op. I see a lot of posts about volunteering as a suggestion and don't get me wrong, I don't know a single non profit or charity who isn't desperate for volunteers, but depending on the org. It is really tough.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Scott, I really don't think my problems are any worse than others. In fact, I'm been a pretty lucky guy. Worked hard my whole life and am now reaping the benefits of that. Life isn't perfect but I see people with lives much more difficult than mine. But everybody and I mean everybody finds a way to deal with their situations. It's just human nature for people to find some relief from their pain. I will be sober tomorrow but the problems, even small, still exists. Got two weeks off from work, so plenty of time to explore. John
How is it going today John? I hope day 1 is getting off to a good start.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott for checking on me. Feeling a little shaky and nausiated (sp) but that's it so far. Will be staying home all day watching football!! I don't trust myself right now to go anywhere. It would be too easy to pick up a six pack which lately would mean another run to the liquor store for vodka.
I don't want to waste the next two weeks while I'm off work getting drunk.
I know I won't drink today. I'm sure of that. Have a good one. John
Old 12-24-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy the day John

D
Old 12-24-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

But I don't think you understand when I said THERE IS NO PLACE TO VOLUNTEER HERE. Looked all over this place during Thanksgiving. None around here.
even local churches?