Notices

Change is coming Weekender 21-23rd April

Old 04-24-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

"Reply all" is the worst part of cell phones and email. Truly awful.

I have to go to the big city this afternoon. I like the city, I just don't go very often, so it should be interesting. I'll take the bus, it takes an hour but it saves me $30 in parking fees. I used to work in the city and the daily grind of the commute got to me. I do not miss it.

I would appreciate the rain stopping for the few hours I'm down there, if that's okay with Olive. As a matter of fact, I don't care if it's gray, just not drippy.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

I have to chuckle at my personality changes drinking versus sober. I'm not naturally a sweet person, but when I'm drinking I become quit angry, and so when I stop for a week and beyond, it levels off and I am less mean, but still very direct and to the point.

A friend made a post about how frustrating it is that most direct care workers in nursing homes don't really take a vested interest in the residents, they don't take the time to talk to them, get to know them, listen to their stories, and make them feel like real people. She said that if someone is not willing to take the time to do that, then they should just move on and get a desk job.

Frankly, I said, I think this falls under the category of be careful what you wish for! Ask that anyone who doesn't want to care for a patient's psychosocial needs as well as their physical needs not even apply to work in a long term care setting is ridiculous, you realize what that would do to already deplorable staffing ratios??? Do you realize that incidence of falls would go through the roof and basic care like bathing wouldn't get done in a timely fashion and some residents would never get out of bed at all?

The blunt thing I said was: "I would be a volunteer chaplain if I didn't have to work for a living but I'm a direct care worker because I do."

That's life.. in a nutshell..
Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
"Reply all" is the worst part of cell phones and email. Truly awful.

I have to go to the big city this afternoon. I like the city, I just don't go very often, so it should be interesting. I'll take the bus, it takes an hour but it saves me $30 in parking fees. I used to work in the city and the daily grind of the commute got to me. I do not miss it.

I would appreciate the rain stopping for the few hours I'm down there, if that's okay with Olive. As a matter of fact, I don't care if it's gray, just not drippy.
City buses are quite a trip, pun intended.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Happy Monday morning everyone.

I got "in line" online to sign my children up for all day camp at one of the local parks. They are not old enough to be home alone while I'm at work and school is out for the summer. Getting into the camp at one of the parks is a very competitive process. Today was the start of online registration. Think "football draft day." So when I logged into the park district website this morning they put me in an electronic line. I departed victorious and that is one giant worry off my plate.

STDragon, you are a great parent. It's so nice that you and your wife are supportive of your daughter. There were times that I went through phases of bleak depression and crippling anxiety and one or the other of my parents sat with me at home. It was a blessing to feel the love and support even though I was in pain. Hearing about Cloud makes me want another hamster. They are really cute things. Just make sure your basement door is closed if you have a basement and while Cloud is rolling around. I once found the hamster on the top step, the ball had opened when it hit a step, and a very, very curious young cat staring hungrily at the hamster. I got there in the nick of time.

Time to focus on work. I was so busy celebrating my victory in the day camp draft that I have neglected my work.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Imagine if you will.. you're a Family Dollar employee and you go to tidy up the restroom and you find a handgun just sitting on the changing table..

This is the kind of the thing that happens in my county.. firearms are just lost and misplaced from time to time...
Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Imagine if you will.. you're a Family Dollar employee and you go to tidy up the restroom and you find a handgun just sitting on the changing table..

This is the kind of the thing that happens in my county.. firearms are just lost and misplaced from time to time...
Are you in Texas lol?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Above the Mason-Dixon line, if you can believe it.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by notgonnastoptry View Post
My husband completely believes my alcoholism was a moral failure. He hasn't been supportive, so I'm not surprised in the least.

I do agree with him to a certain extent (and I'm an alcoholic--been hospitalized 2x). I think there's a fork in the road that we choose to make at some point in time, and that's when things go south. Just like dieting, binge eating, and even recovery, we are the agents of our actions. This may not be the popular view and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I very clearly remember all the times in my early disease where I decided to stop and get a bottle and convinced myself I needed one. In my estimate (am I'm not a holy roller or anything), at least in my case, it was a failing. I don't know if it was a moral failing, but plenty of people don't make that choice and choose to quit while they are ahead.

(oh, I still resent my husband for having this view and I would never share what I'd just written here).
I'm sorry to hear that your husband thinks that your alcoholism is a moral failing on your part notgonnastoptry. I certainly don't hold that myself and neither do medical professionals in the west. I think maybe a lot of people who are insecure
will say a thing like that to make themselves feel better. I'm not saying that is true of your husband but it apples to some and not just in the case of booze addiction either.

Way to go on getting your children enrolled in summer camp Ruby, that must be a weight off your shoulders.

I recieved a pdf from an international standards organisation and my email account has been pinging away like the sonar on a submarine with emaiks from people I have never heard of acknowledging that they received their copy. Meh!

A handgun in the restroom - that is frightening
Old 04-24-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight everyone
Old 04-24-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Nearly at the end of another busy and tiring day. Hope everyone is doing ok.
hugs xx
Old 04-24-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am off to see the Sandman too.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post

Oh, sister, you have NO idea. I live in a fancy smancy neighborhood and I went for a stroll in my backyard last month and found a handgun just sitting on one of our gardening shelves! So, yeah. I didn't think that's the kind of place I lived in, but apparently it is. The cops have no idea how it got there and were surprised since there "haven't been any foot chases in the area."
Old 04-24-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

We do have a problem in this area with guns being traded or sold for drugs. The gun owner will cover their backside by reporting that the gun was stolen from their car. Few people are dumb enough to just leave their guns in their cars unattended, and yet sometimes they will get several reports of this a day.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Happy Monday morning everyone.

I got "in line" online to sign my children up for all day camp at one of the local parks. They are not old enough to be home alone while I'm at work and school is out for the summer. Getting into the camp at one of the parks is a very competitive process. Today was the start of online registration. Think "football draft day." So when I logged into the park district website this morning they put me in an electronic line. I departed victorious and that is one giant worry off my plate.

STDragon, you are a great parent. It's so nice that you and your wife are supportive of your daughter. There were times that I went through phases of bleak depression and crippling anxiety and one or the other of my parents sat with me at home. It was a blessing to feel the love and support even though I was in pain. Hearing about Cloud makes me want another hamster. They are really cute things. Just make sure your basement door is closed if you have a basement and while Cloud is rolling around. I once found the hamster on the top step, the ball had opened when it hit a step, and a very, very curious young cat staring hungrily at the hamster. I got there in the nick of time.

Time to focus on work. I was so busy celebrating my victory in the day camp draft that I have neglected my work.
I'm nearly sure we did the same thing this morning for the same city. Mine was a day camp, too! I got a spot!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I long suffered with an old flip phone, BC, 'cause that's all my company would shell out for. My 'real' phone ended up becoming my wife's phone 'cause I felt silly carrying two phones. Then my kids got 'real' phones. Then everyone started texting me. It's so frustrating trying to text back on a flip phone. Uhg!

Now a days, I'm stuck with a company blackberry. I met a guy on a plane once with a company blackberry too. He was so happy, he thought he was the only one....

Thanks for you kind words Ruby. Much appreciated. We are both feeling stressed and at a loss. Really hoping that the Thursday morning appointment works out.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Goodnight everyone -
Ruby, congratulations on the summer camp deal.
I have an easy work week....thank goodness cause last week was tough. So I'm getting some personal stuff done. I was noticing earlier how tidy and organized my home is now. Only one of the many benefits of sobriety.
Ok....now I am going to sleep!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, nice work in the summer camp notgonnastoptry.

Recycling day here, no guns have ever been found in the collection area but some years ago a python was found there. Glad it wasn't me that found it.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:09 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I just heard on the radio that today is World Penguin Day. Fitting really as it is freezing out this morning. Several species of Penguin are struggling thanks to global warming.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning
Old 04-25-2017, 03:11 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Do your best

Out exercising and i saw the most wonderful things I'm likely to see all year

I always bring bread for the geese there's 3 different breeds of geese anyway i got to the first 2 and lo and behold they have had 5 chicks i fed them

Walking down further i see the other breed and they have had 4 chicks

The Canadian geese didn't have any but when i got further i see one breed has had tiny little duck babies

I have photos and videos I'm in awe joy wonder etc can't i witnessed that all at once

Best thing I've seen in ages

Right back to running