Notices

Groundhog Day Weekender 7-9 April

Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Yes, you can! You're not hopeless unless you stop trying. Plus, with every slip that you regret you grow a little wiser. You just have to put it all together.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It does get tough around that time argillaceous, I read somewhere that this is the time we have really low levels of dopamine, the "reward" chemical. I think it is called hyperdopaminergic if you want to Google for some info. It stops a lot of people from getting beyond it but imo knowing a little about these things can help to beat it.

I'm really glad you posted.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
...I read somewhere that this is the time we have really low levels of dopamine, the "reward" chemical. I think it is called hyperdopaminergic...it stops a lot of people from getting beyond it but imo knowing a little about these things can help to beat it.

I'm really glad you posted.
saoutchik, I am really interested in neurobiology so this is great to learn; I agree very strongly that knowing what might be playing into relapse can help beat it. And I'm really glad I posted, too.

I don't know what I would do without SR. Had I not joined and been here daily since late February, I wouldn't have had 13, then 11, then 16 days of sobriety so far. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind of that. So thank you for all you do and also everyone else. Though we will likely never meet in person, you and everyone else who is so supportive is helping to save me.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

STDragon, I'm thinking of you and your family. I'm thankful that you found out now before it's too late and she can get some help.

argillaceous, YES, this can be done! Please, always always come back.

It bears repeating that there's no judgement here. There's not one person posting here who can't identify with the feelings that you have about coming back. This is a safe place to be.

Always come back.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I'm so proud of my daughter for finding the courage to talk to her mom. Even after that we had no idea how far it had got. We were arranging for support services who did a short interview on the phone with my daughter. They told my wife to get her to the crisis unit ASAP. Turns out she had already tried cutting her leg and on Monday came close to trying an overdose on pills.

We have her at home right now, my daughter is relieved that everything is out in the open. We have construct in place for communicating and plan to deal with her feelings until the 'rapid response' team gets engaged. Right now that plan is to have at least one parent home at all times. Otherwise she'd would've been hospitalized. She didn't want that and we were not about force it on her for fear it would make her think twice should she need to reach out again.

In hindsight I feel so terrible for some of things we've said to her in the recent past. Not understanding what's in her head and getting frustrated with her behavior. It makes me cry thinking about it. This last 28 hours has been a really emotional time for all of us.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

STDragon, I'm a little late in catching up with the thread today. I want to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts. It sounds like your daughter is on the right path toward getting help. What counts the most is that everything is in the open and you and her mother can give her your fullest support.

Take good care of yourself during this stressful time. I truly believe in the adage that it's darkest before the dawn.

Best regards,
Ven