Notices

Please Help Me

Old 02-15-2017, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please Help Me

Hello

I'm a 27-year-old alcoholic who needs your help. I've been excessively drinking for the last 2 years. Prior that, I didn't drink at all. My father was an alcoholic (he died because of it) and my older brother is also an alcoholic. Before the last couple of years, I'd drink sparsely - I'd have a couple of drinks at a party like once every three months. But I experienced a traumatic event and I started drinking heavily in the aftermath.

I need to stop. Booze is ruining my life. I spend all my money on it - I've lost so much weight in the last 2 years because when I come home from work, I don't make a meal. I go to a bar. When I come home from work I'm too wasted to cook, so I just sleep. The environment at work doesn't help at all. There's a big drinking culture there. I'm a journalist (documentary producer/feature writer) and people in our profession can be pigeon-holed as being drunks. Well, at my workplace, the stereotype carries weight. There are at least 10 alcoholics at my workplace - and those who aren't alcoholics do drink heavily in any case. There have been times where I actually don't want to drink on a certain day, but after work, some of my colleagues will drag me out to a bar and we'll proceed to get wasted.

What confounds the situation is that I live in the poorest country in the world. Malawi. There's absolutely no infrastructure for AA support. Zero. No rehab facilities, no meetings. Nothing. And it's killing me. Until last night, I never actually said to myself "I'm an alcoholic." I knew I drank a lot, but I was still in denial. But last night I got really drunk, and was sitting outside a nightclub vomiting, and I thought "what the hell am I doing with my life?" On Sunday I got so drunk I ended up in a crack den (didn't take a hit of crack but was far too close to doing so).

Please help me. I have no one else to turn to.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep coming here catlover. Many people here use SR as their sole means of support.

So many good people here, all willing to help. I'm only 108 days sober so no genius in the sobriety stakes except to say that it is so much better.

I saw myself in you, sitting outside the bar vomiting. It doesnt have to happen again. Just keep posting.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi cat lover, sorry to read about your troubles. Alcohol certainly does a number of millions of people unfortunately.
I suggest you check in here regularly, like lots of times during the day, every day. Especially at trigger times.
Do you have any friends that aren't drinkers? If so, make plans with them at trigger times also.
It's a pity there are no rehab or AA facilities in your area. There are online AA meetings I hear though.
There is also a book by Allen Carr, the easy way to stop drinking. I found that helped me and I'm going on 98 days sober. But I also did a stint in rehab to kick start my sobriety.
I hope you find a way to give up the booze xoxo
Old 02-15-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi catlover, what a great name. Welcome to SR.

You've definitely come to the right place for help. We have all been in your shoes and we know how daunting it is to take the first step.

My first suggestion would be for you to join the February Class. I joined the January Class last month and I seriously wouldn't still be sober if I hadn't. The support is amazing.

Is today your Day 1?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fancy seeing you here Steely great advice.
Cat lover, Steely is in my November 2016 group. Might be a good idea for you to join the February 2017 group. Lots of people starting their journey this month so at the same stage as you (if you decide that alcohol will no longer control you).
You can do it. I'm sure Dee will impart some of his awesome wisdom upon you very soon.
Stay close and post away Hun
Old 02-16-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Wonderful you made it here.

remember also, in time, an AA meeting is two or more alcoholics who want to get sober and get together to talk about it.

This forum will help you a lot. Keep coming back. One day at a time. Peace.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cassandralee View Post
Hi catlover, what a great name. Welcome to SR.

You've definitely come to the right place for help. We have all been in your shoes and we know how daunting it is to take the first step.

My first suggestion would be for you to join the February Class. I joined the January Class last month and I seriously wouldn't still be sober if I hadn't. The support is amazing.

Is today your Day 1?
Hello, thanks for commenting.

How do I join the February class?

And yes, today is Day 1 - and I'm already facing a huge obstacle. Some work colleagues are going to have a few drinks during lunch (2 hours until lunchtime here) and they are pestering me to go. I've told them no - I have too much work to do. But I know come 12pm, they'll be back.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Keep coming here catlover. Many people here use SR as their sole means of support.

So many good people here, all willing to help. I'm only 108 days sober so no genius in the sobriety stakes except to say that it is so much better.

I saw myself in you, sitting outside the bar vomiting. It doesnt have to happen again. Just keep posting.
Congratulations on being sober for 108 days. Wow. Just thinking about going that long scares the hell out of me. I guess I should just take it a day at a time.

Thanks for posting. It is so much better when you realize you're not alone.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poppy79 View Post
Hi cat lover, sorry to read about your troubles. Alcohol certainly does a number of millions of people unfortunately.
I suggest you check in here regularly, like lots of times during the day, every day. Especially at trigger times.
Do you have any friends that aren't drinkers? If so, make plans with them at trigger times also.
It's a pity there are no rehab or AA facilities in your area. There are online AA meetings I hear though.
There is also a book by Allen Carr, the easy way to stop drinking. I found that helped me and I'm going on 98 days sober. But I also did a stint in rehab to kick start my sobriety.
I hope you find a way to give up the booze xoxo
Hello

Yes, I do have some sober friends. I have been an alcoholic for 2 years but before that I could go 6 months without drinking. So I have friends who are like that from back in the day.

My biggest hurdle I feel will be at work. Like I said there is a huge drinking culture there. From the managing director to the cleaners. And a lot of career advancement here isn't done in the office - it is done in bars, where people can let loose, have fun and form a bond.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Catlover, day 1 is the most challenging day to get through, it was for me anyway.

Stick to your guns and say no to the lunch. Even if you have to make a white lie up and say that you're feeling under the weather. Anything you need do to get you through to Day 2.

I hope someone can paste the link for you for the February Class. I'm hopeless at technology. But its in the Newcomers to Recovery section. Please stay here with us, you won't regret it, that I promise.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Catlover, day 1 is the most challenging day to get through, it was for me anyway.

Stick to your guns and say no to the lunch. Even if you have to make a white lie up and say that you're feeling under the weather. Anything you need do to get you through to Day 2.

I hope someone can paste the link for you for the February Class. I'm hopeless at technology. But its in the Newcomers to Recovery section. Please stay here with us, you won't regret it, that I promise.
If you don't mind me asking - how many days have you been sober?

Yeah, I'm determined to not go. It's gonna be tough (I love drinking a few shots of whisky during lunch) but I guess nothing worthwhile in life comes easy.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Cat,

This place saved my life.

Education about alcohol addiction was what did it for me.

Sounds like you are drinking everyday, so quitting cold turkey might kill you.

I basically tapered down then quit, but this is not a way others got clean initially.

Wanting to quit is half the battle. That is your analytical brain. Wanting to drink is the emotional brain. That is the internal battle that drives folks crazy.

I agree w most folks that say quitting is taking it one day at a time. This can be further detailed into one moment at a time.

Not drinking forever is intimidating. Not drinking after work can be done. The folks that beg you to drink w them will give up fairly quickly when they realize you are serious.

Tell them you can't drink anymore because it is making you sick. Basically, sobriety is for people that can't handle their alcohol. That is me too.

It takes about a month to detox, then the healing begins. The crave, unfortunately, last a lifetime. But, it gets easier to resist as the clean days add up.

Get clean, stay clean. Booze is poison.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Cat,

This place saved my life.

Education about alcohol addiction was what did it for me.

Sounds like you are drinking everyday, so quitting cold turkey might kill you.

I basically tapered down then quit, but this is not a way others got clean initially.

Wanting to quit is half the battle. That is your analytical brain. Wanting to drink is the emotional brain. That is the internal battle that drives folks crazy.

I agree w most folks that say quitting is taking it one day at a time. This can be further detailed into one moment at a time.

Not drinking forever is intimidating. Not drinking after work can be done. The folks that beg you to drink w them will give up fairly quickly when they realize you are serious.

Tell them you can't drink anymore because it is making you sick. Basically, sobriety is for people that can't handle their alcohol. That is me too.

It takes about a month to detox, then the healing begins. The crave, unfortunately, last a lifetime. But, it gets easier to resist as the clean days add up.

Get clean, stay clean. Booze is poison.

Thanks.
Yes, I drink everyday for the most part. On the days I don't drink its either because I drank far too much the previous night, and my stomach just can't take another session, or because I'm too busy with work.

I'm actually dreading the weekend. God, weekends are the worst. On the weekdays I'll drink, but because of work, I'll be conscious of needing to be sharp the next day. But on weekends, there's nothing to stop me. I'll start at 10am and continue going until 4am the next day. I'm dreading tomorrow. Friday. Man it's gonna be hard.

Thank you for writing this post. You gave me a lot of insight.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Catlover.

Welcome to SR.

I am 4 years and 4 months sober, and I used SR as my only support community. I was a closet binge-drinker and no one really knew about my issue.

In my early sobriety I literally lived here - I read, and posted, and read and posted again. There are people from all over the globe here, so you can find someone to talk to 24/7.

Making a plan and changing a lifestyle is essential too.

It's crucial to understand that "just one" will always lead to disaster and make this not-negotiable decision once and for all "Doesn't matter what I am not going to have this first glass".

It may sound overwhelming, but don't look too far in the future right now - look at the very next step.

The more steps you take on your sobriety journey, the more power you gain to deal with life on life terms and address issues without reaching for the bottle.

I like comparing it to the first trip to the gym - if someone never lifted anything heavier than a pen 200 lbs barbell would look intimidating. So, start with a body weight squat, then add up a little bit.

In recovery terms it means - don't throw too much on yourself right now. Focus on staying sober, because it's the foundation which will hold everything together.

As for your working environment - if changing a job is not an option (at least right now), then make a commitment to yourself to stay strong and don't let anyone lead you astray. Remind yourself every time that you are literally fighting for your life. Eventually people stop bugging you about that.

I don't drink, don't eat sugar and other junk food. It took some time to "educate" my colleagues that at parties I am happy with my sparkling water and real food. And I AM happy. And what others think of me - none of my business.

I'd wrap up my post with the quote from one decorated Navy SEAL:

"If you want to be tougher mentally, it simple: be tougher, don't meditate on it".

You absolutely can say No to a drink and to your colleagues.

Best wishes to you.

Keep posting.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlover1989 View Post
If you don't mind me asking - how many days have you been sober?

Yeah, I'm determined to not go. It's gonna be tough (I love drinking a few shots of whisky during lunch) but I guess nothing worthwhile in life comes easy.
Today is Day 34 for me catlover. It certainly has been one hell of a ride. But I can honestly say that every single morning that I wake up, hangover free is the most amazing feeling.

You will be surprised how quickly the days add up.

I still find weekends hard, but it's getting easier each week now, and I can even go for hours without thinking about drinking.

I totally understand the work culture and the drinking. I have a work conference coming up in two weeks, which really means three days away with massive drinking. What I've been doing is running scenarios through my head,, roleplaying and imagining being in the situations and saying no thanks, It's not going to be easy, that I know.

I'm also worried that I'll think everyone is having a better time than me, because they'll all be drunk, and I hate missing out on fun. But that's an illusion really, I know I can still have heaps of fun sober. And the best is, I will wake up feeling great.

Read as much as you can here, this place is a lifesaver.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, Catlover.

Welcome to SR.

I am 4 years and 4 months sober, and I used SR as my only support community. I was a closet binge-drinker and no one really knew about my issue.

In my early sobriety I literally lived here - I read, and posted, and read and posted again. There are people from all over the globe here, so you can find someone to talk to 24/7.

Making a plan and changing a lifestyle is essential too.

It's crucial to understand that "just one" will always lead to disaster and make this not-negotiable decision once and for all "Doesn't matter what I am not going to have this first glass".

It may sound overwhelming, but don't look too far in the future right now - look at the very next step.

The more steps you take on your sobriety journey, the more power you gain to deal with life on life terms and address issues without reaching for the bottle.

I like comparing it to the first trip to the gym - if someone never lifted anything heavier than a pen 200 lbs barbell would look intimidating. So, start with a body weight squat, then add up a little bit.

In recovery terms it means - don't throw too much on yourself right now. Focus on staying sober, because it's the foundation which will hold everything together.

As for your working environment - if changing a job is not an option (at least right now), then make a commitment to yourself to stay strong and don't let anyone lead you astray. Remind yourself every time that you are literally fighting for your life. Eventually people stop bugging you about that.

I don't drink, don't eat sugar and other junk food. It took some time to "educate" my colleagues that at parties I am happy with my sparkling water and real food. And I AM happy. And what others think of me - none of my business.

I'd wrap up my post with the quote from one decorated Navy SEAL:

"If you want to be tougher mentally, it simple: be tougher, don't meditate on it".

You absolutely can say No to a drink and to your colleagues.

Best wishes to you.

Keep posting.
Hello, Midnight

Thanks for this great post. You made a lot of good points - one that resonated with me a lot was changing my lifestyle. For instance, yesterday my excuse to drink was that my favourite football team was playing and I wanted to watch the game at a bar. That excuse made me feel much better about drinking (even though deep down I knew I'd drink regardless of whether my team was playing or not). On weekends I always go to bars to watch football games. I'll spend the entire day there. I've decided that this weekend I'm not going to go.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Good decision not to go to bars, Catlover.

And I would also suggest to plan alternative activities to distract you from thoughts about drinking - and they will show up, be sure.

Sometimes, especially in early recovery, not knowing what to do with all this liberated time on hands can push this subtle equilibrium to the wrong side.

Make a list of things to do when urges hit. Anything. Start planning right now - just like your favorite team plans their tactics way ahead of the game.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Today is Day 34 for me catlover. It certainly has been one hell of a ride. But I can honestly say that every single morning that I wake up, hangover free is the most amazing feeling.

You will be surprised how quickly the days add up.

I still find weekends hard, but it's getting easier each week now, and I can even go for hours without thinking about drinking.

I totally understand the work culture and the drinking. I have a work conference coming up in two weeks, which really means three days away with massive drinking. What I've been doing is running scenarios through my head,, roleplaying and imagining being in the situations and saying no thanks, It's not going to be easy, that I know.

I'm also worried that I'll think everyone is having a better time than me, because they'll all be drunk, and I hate missing out on fun. But that's an illusion really, I know I can still have heaps of fun sober. And the best is, I will wake up feeling great.

Read as much as you can here, this place is a lifesaver.
Congrats on 34 Days! That's wonderful. What are some of things that help you fight off the temptation? Like right now it is 10 mins till lunch and my taste buds can already taste the gorgeous feel of whisky.

I completely get you when you about the work conference, and when you say you're worried because you'll think everyone is having a better time 'cause of booze.

Next week I'm traveling to a very remote and cutoff island to shoot a documentary about life and the people on the island. When we travel to very remote areas, we usually stock up on booze before the trip; can't find the likes of Jack Daniels and Jameson on a cutoff island. We pretty much drink the entire time; even when we're shooting. With me attempting to become sober, next week is gonna be one hell of a challenge. Just like your work conference will be.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome catlover

the February support thread some people have mentioned is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-1-a-20.html

When I first came to SR I had no idea of how to stop drinking beyond a day or two, and no idea at all on how to stay stopped....but I knew I wanted - needed- change.

I threw myself into this community and I got a lot of support and gave a lot of support out to others.

Day by day I stayed sober and week by week I changed.

This year makes 10 years sober for a guy who once couldn't stay sober for 3 days in a row.

Stick around - we're good people here and you're not alone

D
Old 02-16-2017, 02:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlover1989 View Post
Congrats on 34 Days! That's wonderful. What are some of things that help you fight off the temptation? Like right now it is 10 mins till lunch and my taste buds can already taste the gorgeous feel of whisky.

I completely get you when you about the work conference, and when you say you're worried because you'll think everyone is having a better time 'cause of booze.

Next week I'm traveling to a very remote and cutoff island to shoot a documentary about life and the people on the island. When we travel to very remote areas, we usually stock up on booze before the trip; can't find the likes of Jack Daniels and Jameson on a cutoff island. We pretty much drink the entire time; even when we're shooting. With me attempting to become sober, next week is gonna be one hell of a challenge. Just like your work conference will be.

Thanks catlover.

What bought me here was that I knew if I stayed on the path I was on, drinking excessively, every day, I would lose everything. My health was starting to suffer. The only time I wasn't depressed, was when I was drinking. I was noticing the changes in how unwell I not only felt, but looked. Plus i was getting poorer and poorer, spending all my money on alcohol.

When temptation arises, which was heaps in the first few weeks, but much less so now, I think about bad I felt from drinking, rather than how good that temporary feeling is. I'm focusing on living a meaningful and healthy life and finding joy in the world rather than dulling my emotions. It's not easy, but if I can do it, so can you.

I had a huge craving yesterday. I almost gave in. I was dreaming of the taste and how it would feel to pour that down my throat. Because the thing is, I don't usually sip drinks to enjoy. I'm after the rush. It took a lot of willpower and visualization of the aftermath. Each day you will get stronger.