Notices

Dave the Gerbil Weekender 10 - 12 Feb

Old 02-08-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Dave the Gerbil Weekender 10 - 12 Feb

We all know that trying to quit drinking or drugs for someone else is a lost cause. To actually stop you have to be at that point where you want to stop more than you want to carry on.

That does not mean that it is only ourselves we let down when we indulge at the weekend. It might betaking your kids out, repairing a fence, giving a lift to someone or dimply being at the other end of the phone to listen to someone else's problems.

Partners, ignored children, siblings, parents, friends, extended family, work colleagues or pets, it might just be that you have tropical fish or Dave the Gerbil who relies on you to feed and water him at regular intervals.

Even if it is a nameless person who benegits from the income tax you pay from a job the point is that someone, somewhere, will be better off by you remaining sober this weekend (not to mention Valentine's Day on Tuesday).

Let's try not to disappoint ourselves or others this weekend. No need to be Mother Theresa, just responsible adults who do the things we are supposed to do. We can still have a great weekend while doing this can't we?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some greats points Sao. Another great kick off

D
Old 02-09-2017, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Shotgun!

Thanks for the nice opening post.
Have a great day!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks Dee

Nice one Tetra
Old 02-09-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in for the sober weekend! I have 2 bassets hounds that have given your opener a 2 paws up!
Sobriety has definitely changed the dynamics of the relationships I have with others for the better! I'm far more emotionally available for my family & friends & a far more compassionate person overall. Removing the beer googles has opened my eyes to different points of views and has enabled me to truly be present. I'm reliable and far more grateful for both the big things and little things in life. Turns out that alcohol was doing a lot more damage than I thought.....my liver wasn't the only thing suffering, so were my relationships and my growth and development in the maturity department. My life has expanded with sobriety-it's not all about me now, my next drink, thinking about my next drink, or the perceived slights/resentments I would blow up in my mind while intoxicated. Glad those days are over!
Happy Thursday Everyone!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes
Old 02-09-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I feel bad for my fluffy puppy, he just had all his top molars removed. Mostly because he didn't get the attention needed to keep them clean. Now he'll be my constant reminder.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree 100% with the post! I'm in.

ABW1
Old 02-09-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Get set of the weekend

m
Old 02-09-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great post Simplicity! Lots to applaud.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

Totally agree, Sao. Doesn't work very well if you are only getting sober for someone else. Do it for yourself, and you are more likely to succeed. I had to really want it before I could do it. Sure - there are people who have benefited from my sobriety, but if I had tried to do it only for them, I probably would have failed. Because while I was still drinking I was quite selfish. I would have found reasons to drink again, thinking something along the lines of "they won't know I'm drinking if I just lie really well and stay away from them." I did exactly that more times than I can count. But once I got to the point where I really wanted it, more than anything, for myself, I was able to get sober.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It gives such a feeling of satisfaction to be functional in life and become capable of being trusted with responsibility.

Great opener, Sao!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Same for me... Getting sober itself had to be as selfish an act as drinking was...if that makes sense? With days then weeks behind me, I know more and more acutely the impacts my drinking had. And in the relief and healing of sobriety I am addressing those impacts.

And, oh, yes...I am IN.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm in! !
STDragon...I hope your dog feels better soon. The important thing is that you are giving him the care and attention he needs now. Give him a hug for me.
thanks for the intro Sao. Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

MLD you make a good point, I think if were quitting solely to please someone else it is very unlikely you will succeed and there is a strong possibility that you would resent that person and remind him or her every time they did or said something mildly annoying
Old 02-09-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Great opener Sao! Congrats on shotgun Tetra!

All good posts about the theme everybody! I always say that my sobriety belongs to me others just get to benefit from it. In fact, quitting for someone else makes it way too easy. You can find enough ways to say something to set them off and create conflict. Bazinga, there's the excuse needed to drink.

Today is 9 months for me and what a journey this time through. The pure freedom of full acceptance is a gift you give yourself that can't be rivaled. It may take a bit to see it but when you do, no words can express.

I do have a few questions and hope for some input. I know I did a lot of damage to my body with binge drinking. There are some immediate results that are seen, skin, etc and just generally feeling better. However, and I do remember this feeling last time, it feels like I am clean and calm on the inside. Not sure if anyone can relate to that. Think of a summer day when you were a child swimming all day long, maybe to the point of waterlog because you didn't want to get out. Then, when you do and you get completely dried off and are sitting it's a relaxing feeling. A warmth. That's the feeling I'm experiencing on and off lately. This is not the pink cloud, I've been there.

I do have to say (always check with your doctor about things) that I have been trying this herbal tea that can be bought at the grocery store that supports liver function. I have about 2 to 3 cups a day per the recommendation. This feeling that I'm referring to started a few days ago and I'm about a week and a half into this. It isn't a high end kick your socks off detox tea. It does say consult with your physician. Has anyone tried anything like this?

Anyway, I am in for the weekend! Life is good.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 9 months LadyBlue!

I did try some liver cleansing tea ages ago, I think it contained milk thistle (i'm not 100% certain) I remember it made me feel that I was doing myself some good although as an actual drink it wasn't great. It will definitely be better for you than coffee or even "regular" indian tea
Old 02-09-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats LadyB on 9 months! Haven't tried detox teas so don't know and my insides don't always feel so squeaky clean. Mostly because I eat too much ice cream.

Thanks Sao for getting us started. Other people give me incentive to stay quit but ultimately the decision was mine. Did I really want to feel like garbage all the time or did I want to feel better, mentally and physically?

Easier said than done. And right now I'm feeling kind of icky with a cold coming on. Looking forward to a four day weekend. Monday is a holiday and Tuesday I'm chaperoning a field trip for my daughter's class. I can do things like that now and not dread them. Yay!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm very tired. The doctor I work for has terrible mood swings. In fact he is almost as bad as my mother.
His former secretary who had my job before I took over came to the office today. I asked her if he was always this bad. She said yes before she started laughing her head off. Yesterday he was extremely sharp with me. One of the other girls said "I was surprised at the way he spoke to you". At the time it passed over my head and I kind of forgot about it until she mentioned it. Today he was all smiles. I had put a load of charts on his desk which he asked for. When he dropped them back to me with the little tape for typing I said "thank you". He laughed and said "don't thank me because I'll just find more work for you to do". I have been working for him for about 5 months and I'm still not entirely comfortable with him. I'm a bit intimidated by him actually.

Ever notice how men are as bad as women, if not worse, for being moody? I also find that men are always giving out about women for being gossipy but they are as bad in fact. A while ago I was in the queue for coffee in town and 3 lads were behind me giving out about the wives/girlfriends. I wished I had a recorder at that time as they were like a group of old women or clucking hens. Another time I was in such a position was when we were flying from Atlanta to Chicago and I got separated from my family and ended up directly behind a group of guys from the US army. That was a funny trip.

Anyway "himself" is going to Dublin tomorrow so I'll be at work but it will still be a bit of a break for me. Thank God.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This speaks to me.. my weekends are all about helping people. I help take care of a couple with MS who are dependent for nearly all aspects of daily living. They are a lot of work and the days are long but I'm glad I can be there for them.. they have been through a lot.