Notices

Dave the Gerbil Weekender 10 - 12 Feb

Old 02-11-2017, 02:41 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pete6256 View Post
Let me just say this. I am staying in and staying sober tonight for the first time in forever. I'm watching sports on tv, and I never notice until now just how many drinks commercials there are!?!?!?!

Drink molson, drink budweiser, drink jack daniels, drink guinness, drink captain morgan...! It's amazing there are any sober people left.
I know, right! Never noticed it before I was sober......sometimes to amuse myself, I will count all the commercials that advertise alcohol or show alcohol in the background during a single TV show. It's astounding how many there are. These companies spend millions on advertising and they work hard to market it in such a way that makes it appears normal, social, innocent. You never see people driving drunk, getting a DUI, losing their license, fighting, vomiting, passing out, hungover, or missing work the next day. How many of those good looking, responsible drinking, dressed for success people do you see in your local bars?
Old 02-11-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Checking In!!!

Great OP Sao!

Winter weather is here in Maine big time. Stock up today on fizzy water and need to get stuff for tacos. Satisfy a craving!

Hope all are well. I am fine and laying low for a bit.

K
Old 02-11-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Up to get the bus to the country side. I'm having a cappuccino at Starbucks while I wait. On my way here I walked through the park with my bag and there was a guy sitting on the steps looking dishevelled with an empty bottle of wine beside him and some other one wrapped in a brown paper bag. This was at 11:00 in the morning.

Now last night I did have a craving yes. I had a stressful week and I was tired. But I didn't drink. My friend came over instead. He brought me a large bar of chocolate and a box of biscuits as he "doesn't do Valentine's Day but I know you like these". So we watched tv for a while then he left and I fell asleep.

Now I'm relieved I didn't drink. That man in the park could be my future.. but I would rather not.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

At least it's a nice day and spring has sprung. Although it is very cold it is also very sunny.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
So awesome weekendish pic, Tetra.

Thank you!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning, checking in on the weekenders thread. Been up for about an hour now reading and posting. Wife an daughter will be heading out in a bit for hair cuts and shopping, leaving me to continue on some projects. More crawling thru the attics for me today.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

((((((((mb))))))))
Old 02-11-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey all,

Mex-m8 is back from a few days in rotterdam today .

Have not been sleeping well this week and mex-cat hasn't been helping miowing at 2 am because of seperation anxiety ( i imagine) .

Been doing steps on and off .. 3000 or so on a work day , 8500 on a day off .. so i'll try and get out for a walk later today .

No snow like Saou up north here yet .

Washing going on , bedding first so i've got something to sleep on , then weekday stuff .. then going to try and hoover the place top to bottom and sort the paperwork pile .
red lentil soup in the slow cooker/ crock pot is cooking .

feeling reasonably productive so far ..

m
Old 02-11-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

It never ceases to amaze me that I am chatting with folks across the world from me. Thanks for the picture Sao. Happy sober Saturday everyone.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Tetra that is beautiful I'm going to make it my screensaver till Spring arrives here in Ohio.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by graciepearl View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that I am chatting with folks across the world from me. Thanks for the picture Sao. Happy sober Saturday everyone.
I know, Graciepearl! Isn't it so lovely??
Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
saoutchik

MidnightBlue I am so sorry you have had such a bad week. Fruit and yoghurt sounds good.

I don't have any photos right now but if anyone wants to see an extraordinary 1 minute 20 second video then search online for Stern's Duplex Railway, Coney Island. It is not on YouTube so I cannot post it myself but it is well worth it. Craziest railway ever and there are people inside both trains.

Phoenix I'm relieved the temperatures are no longer in the 40's Celcius. I wouldn't mind a bit of 24°C.

LadyBlue it used to be thought by many that your Nor' Easters became our Sou' Westers but this was disproved many years ago but remains a sort of urban myth.

On moderation, I did manage to moderate my cigarette smoking for a week or so prior to giving up completely 28 and a half years ago but there is some sort of difference to that addiction because the cravings got rarer and rarer and finally stopped altogether. I have not wanted to smoke for about 27 years and don't have to "maintain" my not smoking. I am not at that stage with alcohol and short of a medical breakthrough I doubt I ever will be at my age. Thankfully it is a great deal easier most days
Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The snow has almost gone here, it rarely lasts these days
Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Checking in this morning. I have a very full weekend planned...all things I either need or want to do. And I will be in the company, at all times, of my supportive partner.

I'm noticing a little irritability and frustration creeping in. Dissatisfaction. I am not out of these woods, at all, at all.

I'm ready to say to you all, my friends, that today is only day 5 for me. I drank on my terrible no-good Monday, while waiting desperately and miserably for my partner to get home and take the liquor-locker key from me. I was so so ashamed, and defeated...and yet angry and would not be called out. Such a sicko.

MidnightBlue...it is sure good to see you.

Later. I'm going to get busy.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

You got right back on it, bixy. It's all good.

Those Mondays have been a problem for you for a very long time. I think you need a Monday-Monday plan.

It's just a day, but you've given it so much power over you.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

We had snow too! But now it's only overflowing rivers.

Lovely picture, tetra.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You got right back on it, bixy. It's all good.

Those Mondays have been a problem for you for a very long time. I think you need a Monday-Monday plan.

It's just a day, but you've given it so much power over you.
I think you are right. Giving that some thought ahead of this coming.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

It's a Saturday morning, day 6. I don't have to get up for work today and I am NOT hungover. We are officially in uncharted waters.

It feels so nice to not need to dive for the bathroom, or feel hideously dehydrated, or have a pounding headache and I am not the least bit worried about what I did last night.

I think I'll make a cup of tea, put the football on and get back into bed :-)

Good morning everyone!
Old 02-11-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

That sounds excellent, Pete! A snowy day with hot tea in bed?? Fabulous self care!
Old 02-11-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Bix ,
Why is there a liquor locker in the house ?

From here it looks as though you'd be better off with no alcohol within the home .
Put fizzey water , bitter lemon or a bar of chocolate in that liquor locker and ditch the liquor.

If your partner really "must" drink then can they adopt a buy only as much as they need for that day / evening? dump any surplus so it's not hanging around .

sounds like the mental anguish of knowing it's there is allowing the addiction to torture you with the though of it ..
I was better off with the temptation as far away as possible , i tried to make it as difficult as possible for myself to get booze .

having a shower when i got home and changing into my bathrobe and slippers even at 4:30 pm .. going to bed at 7pm .. reading a book .. having a tub of ice cream hidden in a bag of frozen peas as a "just me treat" , having no cash to go out and buy booze with .. shopping early before the evening craving happened ..

just my 2p ,

stay strong , m