Notices

Weekend warriors pain and redemption Weekender 27-29 Jan

Old 01-31-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a2&oe=5907D51C
Old 01-31-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I have just watched the evening news, it was just one depressing news story after another
Sao ,
I'd recomend a news diet . I found my view of the world was being influenced by such stuff to something darker and more cynical, two things that as an alcoholic and getting older i feel we often have plenty of already ....

I'm happier by taking the FT at the weekend and watching CNBC, i believe my sobriety is stronger because i'm happier and choose to limit my exposure.

My self awarness and exposure to stuff is something i work on because my answer to all feelings was to blast them and myself away for all those years. I have to deliberately set a filter, a tollerance level and also sometimes a distraction

Good luck with hump day tomorrow everyone

m
Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Mecanix, think you are right about instigating a news diet. On any given day in any year it is never a bundle of laughs but it seems particularly grim recently. A clear head is essential.

I did have a good day at work today so ying and yang
Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I need a news diet.
My friend came over on Sunday night. I have no clue what he did to my TV when I was out of the room but I got a few hours out of it tonight. I watched the Irish news. The first 15 minutes were entirely dedicated to the US and Trump.

With Trump's executive order on Muslim immigration, his siding up with Russia and his spat with Mexico, alongside the UK turning its back on Europe, we are heading towards a darker place. The world seems a little less safe right now.

Oops I spoke too soon. As I was typing it turned itself off again. Perhaps it’s for the best. I'm not feeling great tonight for different reasons.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

One of my friends at work asked me today "do you have any hobbies?" I was ashamed when I thought about it. Does reading count as a hobby?

Anyway the funniest thing that happened tonight was a message I got from a stranger on the dating site that I use. Actually I'm not sure if I can post it here. It wasn’t very eloquently written anyway. Before I blocked him I did note that he is my age and not a teenager like I assumed.

I must go back to yoga. Or something. Anything.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Reading definitely counts as a hobby or pastime Tetra, quite a good one too IMO.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

But, does a bear crap in the woods?
Old 01-31-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Lol!
Old 01-31-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I can't watch news right now. I subscribe to one national newspaper, online, and can't bring myself to peek at the front pages yet. I need two things before I do...more sobriety and a constructive outlet for the inevitable rage and frustration that will ensue. So I can't really tell you when I will start consuming news again. I feel quite the delicate flower still ...and I mean that!!
Old 01-31-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

BixB- I live a long ways from much world politics but I shy away from certain media reports lately. Lets hope it is just flexing muscle stuff.

Does a bear crap in the woods? Well since that bear is articulate enough to use language, have a diverse palate and use a knife and fork in a 'civilised' manner, I would think that bear uses a public convenience- which also would pass as a fast food outlet. May start a movement.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170201_082550.jpg (56.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Happy Hump Day! I posted this over on the Early Risers thread:

I noted this morning that I don't groan anymore when the alarm goes off. I don't whack the snooze button 'cause I desperately need more sleep. Instead I hit it because my bed is so cozy and I love that feeling of having slept thru the night.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

That's a really nice post, Dragon!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

SPRING HAS SPRUNG IN IRELAND!

On the first day of February, according to the traditions of old Ireland, Imbolc is the festival which marks the beginning of Spring. It's one of the four Gaelic seasonal festivals, the others being Samhain (1 November), Beltane (1 May) and Lughnasadh (1 August).

Now today is also the Feast of Saint Brigid, one of Ireland's patron saints (the other two being Patrick and Columba), but like so many Christian festivals, the connection between the two events are hazy. Imbolc is certainly of ancient origin so there's no doubt that it was originally a pagan festival associated with the important Celtic goddess Brigid, but it was Christianised as the festival of Saint Brigid who, tradition conveniently tells us, died on 1 February 525 AD. Many of today's Christian festivals owe their heritage to ancient customs and practices ... Christmas and Easter to name but two.

Anyway, this post is about Imbolc. The name derives from the Old Irish i mbolg meaning in the belly, a time when sheep began to lactate and their udders filled and the grass began to grow. Traditionally Imbolc (the 'b' is silent, btw) was a festival of the hearth and home, and a celebration of the lengthening days and the early signs of Spring. In the old days, celebrations involved hearth fires, special foods, divination and watching for omens. An important part of the festivities included candles being lit and a bonfire (weather permitting) because fire and purification were an important part of Imbolc. The lighting of candles and fires represented the return of warmth and the increasing power of the sun over the coming months.

Holy wells were visited, where people would pray for health while walking sunwise (clockwise) around the well. They would leave offerings ... typically coins or pieces of material from their own clothing or that of a loved one and/or sick person. Water from the well would be brought back to bless the home, family members, livestock and fields, and offerings were made 'to earth and sea', such as milk poured into the ground, or porridge poured into the water.

A spring cleaning of the home was also customary ... not at my place though ... not today!

Happy Imbolc everyone!
Attached Images
FB_IMG_1485953996013.jpg (74.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy Imbolc Tetra, or as Autocorrect would have it, happy imbalance.

It is wet and horrible today although much warmer than of late and I hear that next week we in London are set for days of Underground Rail strikes! Grrrrr
Old 02-01-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Good on ya Bix ,
learning to protect myself, stopping being a lightening conductor for others emotional bad weather was a help to my sobriety.
These days i can empathise with an issue, maybe share what i did about something but nowadays i don't pick up and carry other peoples mess:-

*steps to the side and calmly carries on with my great sober day*

It's a work in progress and you got to guard it strongly especially on the difficult days .

m
Old 02-01-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Happy one sao. That bear's feet do not reach the ground- but while he is there, does he hear the sound of a tree falling, or no noise? Great photo op- I would like to see a rugged woodsman trailblazing- to be greeted by that. (:-)>
Old 02-01-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Or a lumberjack maybe?

Old 02-01-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I've a pain in my tummy.
I went to the doctor two weeks ago and she gave me some antibiotics for something I had. I don't think I had ever taken antibiotics before and I never will again. She told me to finish the course so I finished them last Friday and my tummy is still not good. They are dangerous I think.
I like this picture. It sums up my day quite well.
Attached Images
FB_IMG_1485869102258.jpg (16.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Tomorrow I get paid and then I get to hand over a large chunk of that to my landlord for rent + oil + electricity. At least I'm standing on my own two feet I suppose. Plus as my mom likes to point out - I owe nothing to anyone. Yeah I'm broke but I have no bank loans or debts.

My last two pay cheques were down. When I queried it with the finance department they told me that my pay had stayed the same but my tax had gone up.
Who is revenue and why are they taking all my money?
But seriously when I phoned the tax office they told me they would send out a corrected tax thing or whatever.
As my dad likes to say to me "welcome to the real world honey!"